Author Topic: 7945K - 05/19/17 Recap Thread (Dream Car Week - Day 5)  (Read 7488 times)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 7945K - 05/19/17 Recap Thread (Dream Car Week - Day 5)
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 11:05:54 PM »
As was the case the last time they played That's Too Much for a dream car, when taken as a percentage of the car's price, the jumps were actually smaller than what you'd get if you played the game for an ordinary car (3% jumps rather than the average 5% jumps). Of course, when the car's price is six figures, no normal person has a clue what the actual retail price would be anyway, so it becomes no more of a pricing exercise than Range Game.
I realized I made a mistake in my comment about TTM earlier since all the gaps were about the same. I didn't pay too close attention until the contestant said That's Too Much so I didn't see all the other amounts and I thought he was 3 away rather than 2 from the right choice initially. My guess is they expecting the contestant to stop at $201,467. But yeah, pretty much a total crapshoot unless you had an actual idea of the cost.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 10:28:36 PM »
What a wonderful week of shows. Some big wins and legitimate surprises made for great viewing.

I do have an issue with the way that Punch-A-Bunch was handled. Unlike the way that Drew hosted Pass The Buck earlier in the week - which was excellent in making sure the contestant understood that they had additional chances and could risk the car - this was botched in a fairly unique way.

In a typical Punch playing, the rules are simple because more money is always better so if you get the top amount set off the clangs and whoops because there's nothing better left on the board.

But in this playing, the top prize was a $34k car. And I might look at the $25k cash as a secondary prize and say to myself that I would rather have the money than the car. It's more flexible, and I don't have to pay cash out of my pocket to claim it.

Drew robbed Christine of that choice. He ended the game prematurely with one punch left on the board. Would I have given up the car to go for the big money? No, but there's a chance she might have. We will never know. Nor will we ever know as an audience what was in that last hole. And that was a mistake.

In their defense, they already had 2 dream cars won for their first two days, and gave short of 400K of cars already.

All of the shows for the week were taped over a three day period. Unless they had planned ahead of time for pricing game flexibility depending on wins, I can't see them being able to make a switch like that to put in the "hard games" in such a short period of time.

TTM and Stack were probably scheduled all along.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 04:42:47 PM »
Drew robbed Christine of that choice. He ended the game prematurely with one punch left on the board. Would I have given up the car to go for the big money? No, but there's a chance she might have. We will never know. Nor will we ever know as an audience what was in that last hole. And that was a mistake.
The car was the top prize. Not a bonus. In Punch A Bunch, when the top prize is found the game is over. Unless I've missed playings where Bob or Drew offered contestants the chance to throw away 10/25K for the smaller prizes, they played this playing like the game is supposed to be played.

I agree, this week was absolutely wonderful, very much in part because the promos for this week focused mainly on the cars on offer and not what they were offered in. If 3 car shows have to be relegated to specials, it's really great when they're not spoiled like this. I know there are other great prizes on the show and not everyone wants car, but a car is the big ticket item. It gets the most reaction, and that was what I always loved about 3 car shows. That the audience, and contestant, weren't expecting another car after seeing one in the half only to be surprised to get one.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 11:32:40 AM »
That's Too Much seemed to me like it was actually setup for a win.  If only the guy had known that new Ferraris (even the California, the cheapest one) were at least $200K.  I would've most likely gone too far because I thought it was WELL over $200K, but I at least knew it'd be $200K+ and no less.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 12:03:48 PM »
The average person wouldn't automatically know it was over $200,000 though. I have to think they were expecting the contestant to stop where he was or at the first price over $200,000. The correct choice being as high up as it was even with the larger than normal gaps between prices made it a not very friendly set-up I think.

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 11:14:17 AM »
The average person wouldn't automatically know it was over $200,000 though. I have to think they were expecting the contestant to stop where he was or at the first price over $200,000. The correct choice being as high up as it was even with the larger than normal gaps between prices made it a not very friendly set-up I think.
I just thought it was a sorta generous setup.  Sure, it still wasn't an EASY setup, but if I was on there, I would've continued going without even thinking until I reached at least $200K because I know how expensive Ferraris start at.