Author Topic: What short-lived pricing game do you wish they would have kept around longer?  (Read 6428 times)

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm assuming $uper $aver wasn't short lived, was it?

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
Like Ted, I liked Hurdles as well.  The gameplay was simple enough to understand and the firing of the starter's pistol was always good for a few laughs as Bob would comment, "I think I hit one of the lights" or something to that effect.  Hurdles' fate fell to it's mechanical glitches which often made playings anti-climactic, like when the wrong hurdle would rise too soon, or one of the hurdles would fail to rise at all...

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
I'm assuming $uper $aver wasn't short lived, was it?
Depends on your definition of short lived. Debuted May 10, 1989, retired March 11, 1996.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, I was wondering about when it debuted and got retired. Thanks. I do not consider Super Saver as short lived.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
I have been an advocate for the return of Gallery Game for some time, if only because I could see touch-screen integration implemented fairly well.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
IIRC, wasn't Telephone remade into The Phone Home Game a few years later? Phone Home was a far more superior game, and the contestant got the chance to split the winnings with a home viewer.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
I feel like Gallery Game wasn't given a fair chance. I've heard that it was only won once throughout the season but I've also heard it had been won more than that. Every playing I've seen of it aside from it's premiere has been a loss but someone with more knowledge probably knows the answer. It was a creative game almost like a fancier and open-ended version of Pick-a-Number.

Split Decision was another ill-fated game. It was really entertaining to watch even amidst it's 'faulty mechanics' and the odd incompetent contestant.

And of course Super Saver. I'm still not in agreement with why it was retired but that's not up to me.

Offline tpir7215

How about Phone Home Game but with slightly different rules and cash amounts? (You continue going until there are 1 or no items remaining; if two items remain, you win both amounts for getting the right one; if there are two or three items remaining and you're wrong, you win none of the three amounts)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
I have been an advocate for the return of Gallery Game for some time, if only because I could see touch-screen integration implemented fairly well.
I could see that also if Gallery Game wasn't retired and Pick a Number wasn't invented. Since Pick a Number is basically a simplified version of it and they retired a few other games that were basically clones of others (Clearance Sale, Joker, Buy or Sell), I couldn't see the two games co-existing.

Offline DYC

One word: Hurdles. Or is that three words?

I whole-heartedly agree, but I'm not sure if I would call Hurdles' 8 or 9 years of action "short-lived"..

Meanwhile, I always felt Add 'em Up got a bad rap. It wasn't impossible, and would have been interesting in 5-digit form for higher end cars. Maybe might have gotten a set change to accommodate for 5 digits, plus losing 50% of it's prop design to Pathfinder.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
I could see that also if Gallery Game wasn't retired and Pick a Number wasn't invented. Since Pick a Number is basically a simplified version of it and they retired a few other games that were basically clones of others (Clearance Sale, Joker, Buy or Sell), I couldn't see the two games co-existing.
Bonus Game and Shell Game both send their regards.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
Of those seen in my lifetime, Add 'em Up would probably get the nod; as a 5 year old I liked the set design and concept, so if it wouldn't be considered too similar to Do the Math, it might be worth a second try. 

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Bonus Game and Shell Game both send their regards.
Yes true, although Bonus Game did spend some time out of the rotation after Shell Game debuted before they decided they were different enough to keep both.

Offline PIRfanSince72

The problem with Add 'Em Up was it was anticlimactic when there was a win, especially if there were only 2 possibilities left and the player had not yet made their one mistake.  If the rules were amended to make it a loss when down to a 1 out of 2 choice, regardless of whether one mistake was made or not, then it would have been better perhaps.

Offline born9-4too

• Outside in Line
Another vote for Mystery Price -- though its gameplay is probably too long for today's show.  I also liked Double Digits, and glad it kind of morphed into Temptation.