Author Topic: What short-lived pricing game do you wish they would have kept around longer?  (Read 6324 times)

Offline Plinkomatic

• In Contestant's Row
  • AKA The One Who No One Gets
Personally, I think they should have given Professor Price and Shower Game a chance. The former was only played twice, while the latter was only played for about a couple months.
You're going to play PLINKOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For a chance to win up to fifty THOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUSAND dollars!

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Personally, I could have seen Mystery Price working out in today's show. It only lasted about a year, and its rules were a bit confusing, but I think it might have been possible to change the rules slightly to make it last longer.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Personally, I think they should have given Professor Price and Shower Game a chance. The former was only played twice, while the latter was only played for about a couple months.

Nah, there's a reason those pricing games were short lived. Never mind the Holocoust aspect of Shower Game, take away the shower and confetti and all you have is Six Price Tags. There was really nothing much to that game.

As for Professor Price, that game was just waaaay too out there to work. General knowledge on a pricing game show? Nah.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
If it hadn't been in the shop so often, I could've seen Finish Line hanging around for a while. It's literally Give or Keep with an extra layer of chrome, and they already had the pair of Bonus Game and Shell Game around then, so there would've been precedent for that sort of setup.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
I'm leaning towards Gallery Game. It was pretty cheesy, but it was a more interesting version of Pick-a-Number. Split Decision was also interesting and added a Car + additional prize(s) game to the rotation, and Fortune Hunter just for the box reveal. 1/2 Off's reveal is a nice nod to it, but it just felt a little more exciting with Fortune Hunter.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
If it hadn't been in the shop so often, I could've seen Finish Line hanging around for a while. It's literally Give or Keep with an extra layer of chrome, and they already had the pair of Bonus Game and Shell Game around then, so there would've been precedent for that sort of setup.

Finish Line wouldn't have gotten past the mid-80s. Bob had actually said in an interview that he hated Finish Line because he disliked horse racing. Never mind the fact that it was a much sloooower version of Give or Keep.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
They could've changed it so the game used cars or human runners rather than horses though if mechanical issues weren't a factor. I wonder how long it would've lasted if this was the case since it was just a different version of Give or Keep since Trader Bob also didn't last long.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
They could've changed it so the game used cars or human runners rather than horses though if mechanical issues weren't a factor. I wonder how long it would've lasted if this was the case since it was just a different version of Give or Keep since Trader Bob also didn't last long.

It lasted a hell of a lot longer than Finish Line did!
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
On the Nose...I liked the array of sports that were featured in this game, and the $1,000.00 cash bonus rewarded perfect pricing for contestants who weren't as athletically coordinated.  They could've upped the bonus to $5,000.00 or $10,000.00 to keep with inflation. 

Offline Alfonzo

• Director

I doubt they would have went through the trouble. Too many people might have asked " What happened to the horses?!" and it might have been more of a headache to keep than it was worth. As I also said, it was a slower version of Give or Keep. After all, the could have had the contestants push the buses on Bump instead of the models, but they didn't.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
It lasted a hell of a lot longer than Finish Line did!
While five years still isn't super long, it is a couple of years longer than I thought it lasted without looking at the FAQ.

Alfonzo, good point, although I do think there is a difference with retiring Bump because of what the game was known for.

Offline Ted

• TPiR Alumnus
One word: Hurdles. Or is that three words?

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
Add my vote for Mystery Price as well.  And it was actually only alive for about 4 months or so, from Nov. 29, 1973 until Feb. 21, 1974. 

I like games with layers of pricing.  Here you had to price small prizes while also trying to price the prize's mystery price.

Other examples of layered pricing games I like include Five Price Tags, Switcheroo, Pathfinder (my 2nd favorite PG altogether), and Stack the Deck.  While Telephone game was a layered pricing game, involving pricing of grocery items (stay below $1.00 with 2 purchases) and then trying to price the car, that is one example of a layered pricing game that I dislike.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
I thought Split Decision had some potential. I liked how it was different from Any Number in that you had a chance to win both the car and a three-digit prize, instead of only one (if not the piggy bank).

Before Time is Money came back, I would've said the same thing about it. The only thing I didn't like about that version of the game was that it did not offer a cash prize like the current one does (the $500 voucher from its first few playings doesn't count). I would've suggested a $10,000 top prize, the same 10-second limit for the first arrangement, and then the countdown factor for the second chance.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Add my vote for Mystery Price as well.  And it was actually only alive for about 4 months or so, from Nov. 29, 1973 until Feb. 21, 1974.

This is kind of both right and wrong at the same time.  Mystery Price actually debuted on the September 26 episode; it just happens that that show was pre-empted and wasn't aired until the end of November, so no one at home saw it until October 5.  That said, there was a fairly long stretch it November and December where it wasn't played, so it does still sorta-kinda work out to about four months.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.