Author Topic: 7965K - 06/02/17 Recap Thread  (Read 5764 times)

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
7965K - 06/02/17 Recap Thread
« on: June 02, 2017, 12:00:33 PM »
FREEZE FRAME - L (3:01.13)
SWITCHEROO - PL (5:12.16)
ONE WRONG PRICE - L (3:09.90)
GRAND GAME - PL ($1) (3:47.98)
POCKET CHANGE - L (6:29.97)
DOUBLE PRICES - L (2:59.79)
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: 7965K - 06/02/17 Recap Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:10:31 PM »
Is it safe to assume the producers are in "end of season budget crunch" mode?  Watching TPIR every day while I'm at the gym helped me get the One Wrong Price, and Switcheroo wins, but $9,316 for a trip to Argentina I never would've guessed as the solution in Freeze Frame, seeing as I remember when the show was giving cars away for around that price. 

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 12:11:20 PM »
Hey, carwise, we are now a*Gets shot by others*

Freeze: When in doubt, go for one of the two higher prizes.

Grand: Wipeout... Why did you start with that?

DP: Wow, a 5K and a 9K for an outdoor package. They must really want a win. It is obviously 9.... Oh... um... hmm... That one was set up to be lost in hindsight. BUDGET CUTS!
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 01:25:32 PM »
The Showcases were Cheap and a Double Overbid was waiting to happen.
Good thing we were saved from an Absolute Skunk-Fest of a show.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 02:32:52 PM »
Hey, carwise, we are now a*Gets shot by others*

As passive aggressiveness goes, I do give this fairly high marks...

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 03:51:14 PM »
Pocket Change again is my absolutely least-favorite game. This is Exhibit A in why this game seems to be random guessing rather than actual pricing knowledge, IMO. Absolutely no hints are given, much less asking actual pricing questions (such as small prizes) to help reduce the field of choices on a given number.

The poor contestant had $2.25, just 50 cents off the max. I just don't get why this bad game, IMO, is just not retired.

Sorry, had to vent.

Brian

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 03:57:07 PM »
I just knew the 1 would be the number for the car price. Few contestants think to put the lowest number in the car price.

Tough One Wrong Price, the laptops to me looked too expensive. The accessories might've also been more than the little over $2,000 they were. I wasn't really thinking it would be the hockey table (has Drew never seen one prior to them appearing on Price?)

Ouch on Grand Game. I didn't think the oil spray would be that expensive, although it should've been held off until later in favor of more obvious choices.

I see I'm not the only one who thought the higher price would definitely be right in Double Prices. That's normally how it goes, but I guess because this was a bit smaller of a package than normal.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 05:21:08 PM »
Pocket Change again is my absolutely least-favorite game. This is Exhibit A in why this game seems to be random guessing rather than actual pricing knowledge, IMO. Absolutely no hints are given, much less asking actual pricing questions (such as small prizes) to help reduce the field of choices on a given number.
A lot of the same tricks Mike uses in Pocket can apply to games like Path and Cover, so I don't fully get your point. The main complaint I would give Pocket is that the envelope distribution is heavily weighted in the show's favor, and I think Mike has done an analysis on what spots on the board are rarely picked to hide .75 and 2.00 as well.

The real issue is contestants are just dumb nowadays. 5 has been the "dud" number in most of the playings this season, yet it keeps being picked multiple times. There is no excuse also to wipe out on the 2nd digit today
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 07:46:23 PM »
My biggest problem with Pocket Change is that it is just a boring game.  There's no excitement at all to it.  We already know the price of the car before the game is at its conclusion, and the revealing of the change to get the car sale price is not exciting either. 

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 11:36:14 PM »
Pocket change needs to be retired.  At least On the Nose offered a $1,000.00 bonus for guessing the correct price and had contestants throwing footballs through a tire or Nerf  darts at an oversized target.

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 12:01:28 AM »
Pocket change needs to be retired.  At least On the Nose offered a $1,000.00 bonus for guessing the correct price and had contestants throwing footballs through a tire or Nerf  darts at an oversized target.

...I don't know what you are comparing. I don't see how that proves why Pocket needs to be retired. I personally like Pocket because it is an easy game if you understand what will happen. I would want the distribution to be a little more leaned to the contestant (Replace a .00 with a 1.00 is what I have in mind), but otherwise, it is a solid game. You have a few numbers, guess the price. As Wayoshi pointed out, 5 is starting to become the trap number, and IF YOU KNOW THAT, you have a great chance of winning (Compare to 10 Chances' Zero Rule). In fact, if the contestant on Dream Car Week refused to pick a 5, s/he only messed up once, and would have won the car.

Do I believe the reveal of the envelopes needs a little more pizzazz/suspense? I do. However, if Drew doesn't want to host that way, I won't mind much.

TL;DR: I might want a slight change in the distribution, but with the way the show is going with the 5, it is solid. I honestly despise Switcheroo more, but I can understand that the gameplay is solid.

"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 12:31:18 PM »
The real issue is contestants are just dumb nowadays.

Yeah, you can stop this anytime.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 08:13:04 PM »
The real issue is contestants are just dumb nowadays. 5 has been the "dud" number in most of the playings this season, yet it keeps being picked multiple times. There is no excuse also to wipe out on the 2nd digit today
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't call pick-up trucks that common on the show. I wouldn't call Toyota pick-ups that memorable in general despite advertising you see for them (Hi Ford and Dodge!). I'm not going to blame the contestant here for not know roundabout how much a pick-up truck costs, especially when we've seen some that run as cheap or expensive as the 2nd digit options provided.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »
TL;DR: I might want a slight change in the distribution, but with the way the show is going with the 5, it is solid. I honestly despise Switcheroo more, but I can understand that the gameplay is solid.

The thing about Switcheroo, though, is that if you watch the show enough times and know which small prizes tend to be less-expensive (i.e., have maybe a 1, 2 or 3 as the first digit), which ones tend to have the 4-5-6 and then which ones are more expensive 7-8-9, you might not necessarily win everything, but you've got a fighting chance at winning something.

Brian

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 10:35:43 AM »
I've applied two similar strategies to Switcheroo.  Analyzing the small prizes if there's a 1 or 9 as one of the blocks and you know none of the prizes are less than $20 or more than $90, that gives you a clue as to which block goes in the car price.  Even if the 5 blocks are more middle of the road numbers, it's better to try pricing the 4 small prizes and save the car for last, because it's more likely a person could guess the first digit in the price of a two digit prize, than the 4th digit in a 5 digit car price.  Finally, if after the first 30 seconds if you have 3 right, I would leave the prices alone and not opt for another 30 seconds.  Getting 60% right on the first try is very difficult, and unless you sell cars, ice cream makers, or bottle openers for a living, odds are you will have less right by switching the blocks with the second 30 seconds.