Author Topic: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan - Season Two  (Read 11131 times)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan - Season Two
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 11:48:11 AM »
I would have said cotton, wheat, tobacco, corn, rice, potatoes, and sugarcane for Crops. Alcoholic punch was perfect for spiked along with Michael's clues of a punk rocker's hair and a football, some others would have been porcupine or hedgehog quills, blood sugar, and a volleyball.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 02:49:56 PM »
I would have said cotton, wheat, tobacco, corn, rice, potatoes, and sugarcane for Crops. Alcoholic punch was perfect for spiked along with Michael's clues of a punk rocker's hair and a football, some others would have been porcupine or hedgehog quills, blood sugar, and a volleyball.
Ah, yes. Good move there including cotton, tobacco, and sugarcane. Not all crops are foodstuffs. :)

Offline WhammyPower788

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 03:21:50 PM »
I think a very clever way to get it across is if you added in the word "field" for each crop ("a wheat field," "a corn field," etc.)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:28:06 PM by WhammyPower788 »
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 07:39:17 PM »
Since it also listed farming with the (), could you also use other things related to a farm (tractor, barn and similar)?

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »
Since it also listed farming with the (), could you also use other things related to a farm (tractor, barn and similar)?
I don't think so. I think farming was put in parentheses to emphasize what was meant by "Crops", as in "Crops a Farmer Might Grow".

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 11:43:56 AM »
Just watched this week's episode online (Stupid DVR! :-x  :-)).

Congratulations to Alex, this season's second $150,000 winner. He was a fantastic player and a quick thinker. He included some excellent clues with some perhaps more obvious ones (such as "dice" for "Things You Shoot" and "parallel" for "Types of Lines"). I thought his second Winner's Circle subjects (for $100,000) were quite a bit easier than those in his first. He had so much time left in that second round.

For "Types of Rice", the contestant saying "wheat" would have thrown me off. I would have said "Minute" (or maybe "Minute Brand") and "Uncle Ben's". Also, I would have included "a kangaroo" (along with cargo pants/shorts - good clue) for "Things with Pockets", and "lava" & "a stove" for "Things That Are Hot".

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 10:02:21 AM »
Just watched this week's episode online (Stupid DVR! :-x  :-)).

Congratulations to Alex, this season's second $150,000 winner. He was a fantastic player and a quick thinker. He included some excellent clues with some perhaps more obvious ones (such as "dice" for "Things You Shoot" and "parallel" for "Types of Lines"). I thought his second Winner's Circle subjects (for $100,000) were quite a bit easier than those in his first. He had so much time left in that second round.

For "Types of Rice", the contestant saying "wheat" would have thrown me off. I would have said "Minute" (or maybe "Minute Brand") and "Uncle Ben's". Also, I would have included "a kangaroo" (along with cargo pants/shorts - good clue) for "Things with Pockets", and "lava" & "a stove" for "Things That Are Hot".

"Things That Are Hot" -- this contestant, who was on a roll.

Curious, though: Would "a physically attractive woman" be acceptable as a clue for "Things that are hot"? A ding or a buzz will suffice.

Brian

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 11:41:42 AM »
"Things That Are Hot" -- this contestant, who was on a roll.

Curious, though: Would "a physically attractive woman" be acceptable as a clue for "Things that are hot"? A ding or a buzz will suffice.

Brian

Ding. :)

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 11:09:50 PM »
On the July 30th episode: No $50K or $100K wins tonight. There were a few close calls though. Strahan gave some excellent clues after the fact, such as "A stuntman's job" for "Dangerous Things", "adirondack" & "rocking" for "Types of Chairs", and "exhibits" (to go along with the contestant's clues) for "Things In A Museum".

For "Things You Kiss" I thought of "the Blarney stone" right away, and for "Things You Weigh" I came up with "your butcher shop order". That one isn't that good I feel. Any excellent clues out there?

I believe this was the first time in this version where a point had to be taken away; the celebrity described and the contestant said "shredding", not "shedding". And I didn't know Charlie Weaver (Cliff Arquette) from Hollywood Squares was David Arquette's grandfather. Now I do. :)

Finally, I see they've made the "Cold Cuts" subject easier. In previous versions of Pyramid I've seen the player had to give that specific phrase; now it's in parentheses after "Deli Meats". Bummer. I thought it was a great & challenging subject; that phrase isn't used much these days.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:12:30 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 07:27:21 PM »
A bit late, but some comments on the August 6th episode: Brian was genuinely funny; great contestant and I liked his accent. He, Bobby Moynihan, and Michael Strahan made the first half-hour quite a bit more entertaining than usual. Excellent clues for "Things You Grind" ("your nervous night teeth", "your whole coffee beans"). And Brian didn't need them to win $50K, but I would have added "ham" and "salmon" for "Things That Are Smoked", and "a billiard ball rack" for "Things That Are Triangular".

Felicia, in the second half, played the game very well and gave some outstanding clues; she unfortunately wasn't paired with celebrities that were up to her level. I particularly felt that Jesse Palmer should have gotten "Things In A Bottle" with Felicia's clues; perhaps "Sting's message" would have helped. :) 

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 01:18:34 AM »
On the August 13th episode: To start, Usher doesn't believe in second place (it's like "first loser" to him). He never got to the Winner's Circle. Von Miller claimed he watched some of Pyramid's greatest moments on YouTube to prepare. He kept saying things like "I am a..." and "I'm in a..."  in the Winner's Circle.

I think I came up with some pretty good and clever clues tonight. How about "charcoal briquettes" for "Things At A Barbecue"? "Frosty's nose" for "Things With Buttons"? "A spy's code" and "a woman's age" for "Things That Are Secret"?

"A DMV line": excellent clue for "Things That Are Long". I thought of "a winding road".

I believe this was the first time in the Strahan era that the first subject in a Winner's Circle round wasn't conquered ("Playing Card Suits").

"Let's see if you can get zero", the pastor says in jest. Funny. :)

Online PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 12:30:28 PM »
"Frosty's nose" for "Things With Buttons"?

That would get buzzed. Frosty's nose IS a button.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 01:40:14 PM »
That would get buzzed. Frosty's nose IS a button.
Good point. :oops:  Should have said "Frosty's face".

Ooh... just thought of something. How about "an elevator control panel"? :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:49:43 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 01:05:47 AM »
On the August 20, 2017 episode: I thought both of the non-celebrity guys tonight were great contestants. They were good game players and also quite entertaining. Michael Rappaport, while not the best Pyramid player, made the show even more enjoyable.

Someone mentioned this before, but I really noticed the reaction shots of Michael Strahan tonight. There were several of them. Any thoughts on those? Are they distracting?

Garrett's use of the word "closed" for "Things You Open" and "empty" for "Things That Are Filled" made his good clues even better. For the latter, he thought of a prescription and I thought of a cavity. I think his choice was better. However, I immediately thought of "The Incredible Hulk" to go along with "Kermit the Frog" ("Characters That Are Green"). Unfortunately, he did not.

"Nair": great clue for "Ways to Remove Hair". I think the rhyming helped.

My sister gave an excellent clue for "Places You Find Coins (Change)": "a wishing fountain".

"I am what women drink to get drunk." Funny, and it worked. :)  ("What Wine Might Say")

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 01:50:55 PM »
It looks like a taping from last season was paired with a more recent taping to create the August 27th episode. I noticed set and font differences in the second half-hour, and the sixty-second clock wasn't displayed above the Winner's Circle pyramid during that period. It just felt a bit different to me as well.

To throw in another game show reference, Kyle Busch seemed like "the weakest link" of the entire hour. Examples: "Not slow but... high." "The Indianapolis number....?" However, he and his contestant partner did come up with a fantastic comeback during the "twitter follower" subject round. 

As a long time Pyramid viewer, it was interesting to me the difference between how a contestant playing in the 70s or 80s and one playing today might describe "posse". :)

I was thoroughly entertained by Madison. She was so energetic and enthusiastic. She finally said "wipers" after saying "wind washers" and "washer winders" (I went back and listened), and she said something in a way Dick Clark sometimes did: "One of them is the seven" (referring to the Mystery 7). 

No big money wins this episode. Players were stuck on "Things at a Baptism" (the contestant gave some great clues), "Things in a Haunted House" ("Halloween visitors" was excellent), "Things You Stack" (I came up with "pancakes" and "poker chips" to go along with Juan's "books"), and "Famous Michaels" (Madison's fault; she didn't even think of "Strahan"(!)), as well as on other subjects.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:53:05 PM by GameShowKid »