Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 254575 times)

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« on: June 12, 2017, 12:19:52 PM »
Welcome to Golden-Road! If you just joined and have the insatiable urge to ask some questions pertaining to The Price Is Right, we understand. However, some of your questions may have a simple answer that will not generate any real discussion. Furthermore, other members have asked your question(s) several times over and may not feel like responding to such a thread again!

In order to facilitate such questions and welcome new members, welcome to the Simple Questions & Answers Thread! Any question posted here will receive no judgment, and hopefully you will receive an answer in the near future.

Keep in mind these few cardinal rules:
- No dumb questions exist. Trust me, no one will fault you for not knowing as much about the show as some of our experts around these parts. No one wishes to intimidate anyone. (I think.)
- While no one will consider a question dumb, keep in mind that some answers may lie within the FAQ. Feel free to consult that first and see if your answers lie within.
- Please refrain from bumping for the sake of getting your question answered. I stickied this thread to prevent this from dropping down the archives.
- This thread has many functions, but it will not serve as a new member introduction. Please keep those to the Out in Left Field section.
- All other forum rules still apply.

Ask away!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:57:34 PM by PayingTheRent »
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 06:42:23 PM »
I know I'm not new, but something I have wondered for years and never thought it warranted its own thread:

When did they go from using one piece of music during each showcase to utilizing several different cues in any one given showcase?
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 07:45:25 PM »
When did they go from using one piece of music during each showcase to utilizing several different cues in any one given showcase?

For as long as I can remember in all my years of watching the show, there have been showcases to feature more than one cue -- in the Barker days, this was particularly the case during certain skits or (sometimes, though not every time) when a car was revealed, although I don't know when they started doing this.  It's only been since the complete overhaul of the cues a few years into the Carey run that it has become standard practice to feature multiple cues within most, if not all showcases.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 11:09:26 PM »
I don't know if this was ever answered, but why did they get rid of the head on shot during the putts in Hole in One?

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 11:53:58 PM »
Quote from: rodroddyfan
I don't know if this was ever answered, but why did they get rid of the head on shot during the putts in Hole in One?

I know it was the topic of many discussions (and a lot of Mike-bashing), but I have a theory.  The head-on shot can be very anti-climactic.  From that camera angle, one could tell almost instantly whether the ball was going to be close or not.  It's really a bit of a letdown when you can see immediately that the ball is going to miss badly - and you could see it immediately when it happened.

The side angle that is currently used may not look as good, but at least it allows the viewer to feel some suspense, as it is less obvious if the ball is going into or even close to the cup.  A badly hit ball, by way of the optical illusion of the camera angles, could still at least LOOK close, even if it is off by a mile.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline GSNSmashFan3

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My game show collection.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 11:42:23 AM »
Is there any particular reason why partial wins don't occur in Make Your Move? The way in which the game is designed allows for the possibility of a contestant guessing just one price correctly, but unlike most other pricing games, the contestant isn't awarded the prize they priced correctly whenever this happens.
HYO Winnings:
$46,241.21 (Participated in 6 games; on stage 4 times)

I love Clock Game!

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 06:28:55 PM »
Is there any particular reason why partial wins don't occur in Make Your Move?

Okay, let's look at it this way.

Representative Board:
A B C D E F G H I

Only six possible combinations exist as solutions in this game.
ABCD EFG HI
ABCD EF GHI
ABC DEFG HI
ABC DE FGHI
AB CDE FGHI
AB CDEF GHI

Each prize only has four possible prices available on the board, and the game already features a one-in-six chance of winning completely blind. I feel like awarding an accidental/unintended partial win in Make Your Move goes against the spirit of the game ("solving the puzzle"), not to mention that this would occur all the time.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 07:11:42 PM »
Also, if a contestant correctly priced the four-digit prize but not the other two prizes, it would be an awkward win:

"You won the trip to London! But you didn't win the hair dryer or the recliner."
"...So?"
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline OneBidTris

• FPG Host
  • Hosting FPG for Season 50
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 04:03:15 AM »
This will probably only interest the serious fans, but someone out there probably knows the answer to this question.

Have the golf ball backdrops changed in Hole in One? They looked a little faded on an older playing and I'm wondering if they updated them for the game today.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 12:22:27 AM »
Also, if a contestant correctly priced the four-digit prize but not the other two prizes, it would be an awkward win:

"You won the trip to London! But you didn't win the hair dryer or the recliner."
"...So?"

Partial wins were allowed in the 90's Aussie version [from 19:37]:

Not a valid youtube URL

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 06:17:24 PM »
Are we ever going to get a solid reason for why Buy or Sell and Credit Card were retired beyond "we just didn't like them?"

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 07:27:27 PM »

"...So?"

Speaking of which, there was a playing back in 1992 where the board was set up in such a way, that the contestant priced 2 of the 3 prizes correctly and still lost. Bob thought it was "interesting".

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 07:43:03 PM »
^ how is that possible? I'd figured that getting two would necessitate the third being right also.

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 07:46:43 PM »
^ how is that possible? I'd figured that getting two would necessitate the third being right also.

From what I recall, the board was setup something like this: 503050789. The right answer was along the lines of 50/3050/789, and the contestant guessed 5030/50/789.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 08:07:03 PM »
Are we ever going to get a solid reason for why Buy or Sell and Credit Card were retired beyond "we just didn't like them?"

Roger talked about Buy or Sell's retirement not too long ago on his Facebook page.

"I found the game not particularly fun...it was long...and the concept of buying or selling a little off (how does one 'sell' a prize if one hasn't bought it...but one doesn't really own it because he's given the option to buy it)"

I don't recall ever getting an official answer about Credit Card, but the most likely reason is that it's a very long game and the show's fighting for every second. Because long games are much harder to schedule in the lineup, they'd need to get a lot of bang for its buck to justify their keeping around on the show.

The nature of the game meant that the five prizes usually needed to be relatively cheap compared to prizes offered in other multiprizers like, say, Most Expensive. The average Credit Card prize package in Season 36 was $4,640; the average Most Expensive package was $6,047. 14 out 25 prizes offered in Credit Card that season were under $1,000; only out of 75 prizes offered in Most Expensive were under $1,000. The desire for the new staff to offer "bigger and better prizes" could have played a factor.

The "insert the card to find the credit limit" bit was the most fun thing about the game, but Drew didn't always do it, and of course, it took up even more of the show's airtime.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 08:14:17 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."