Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 253716 times)

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 08:45:41 PM »
Anyone know why the models stopped rolling out the Hi-Lo set?
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 08:50:04 PM »
"I found the game not particularly fun...it was long...and the concept of buying or selling a little off (how does one 'sell' a prize if one hasn't bought it...but one doesn't really own it because he's given the option to buy it)"

While I understand Roger's reasoning, I don't see why this kind of simulations warrants Buy or Sell being retired. When Drew started hosting around the same time, he tied Temptation to a birthday theme and Roger somehow didn't have a problem with that.

On that note, whose idea was it to give contestants the cash bonus for winning the game?

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »
I have a random question:

When Drew shuffles around the shells in Shell Game, he says that he doesn't know where the ball is. Wouldn't he be able to kind of get a feel for where the ball is, as it would hit the sides of the shell as it is being shuffled? I feel like that could potentially help with the reveal.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »
Anyone know why the models stopped rolling out the Hi-Lo set?

Drew kept forgetting to do the grocery plugs before the prize reveal, so eventually, they just decided to streamline the game's introduction.

(Personally, I've never thought that was a very good reason -- it's not like there weren't other ways to fix that that preserved the reveal -- but it is the reason.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 03:25:51 PM »
Why does the contestant still get cash if they lose on the first three grocery products ($1/$10/$100) in Grand Game, but nothing if they lose on the fourth grocery product ($1,000)?
I hadn't really thought about this before, but the reality of death means that every day there are less people in the world than the day before.  In reality there are many more people in the world than this but for illustration: If one day there are 1000 people in the world and the next day 55 people die, now there are 945 people in the world. if 30 more die the next day now there are 915 people in the world. So we'll eventually become extinct as will all creatures as the same reality applies to dogs, cats, horses etc.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 03:42:02 PM »
When Drew shuffles around the shells in Shell Game, he says that he doesn't know where the ball is. Wouldn't he be able to kind of get a feel for where the ball is, as it would hit the sides of the shell as it is being shuffled? I feel like that could potentially help with the reveal.

He doesn't know where the ball starts. Having shuffled the shells myself, I can confirm that you can feel the ball bouncing around inside.

However, it's tougher to describe the rules of the game while simultaneously (and secretly) keeping track of where the ball is going or where it ends up. Drew doesn't want to know ahead of time whether the contestant is going to win or lose, so perhaps he focuses his attention on what he's saying and just lets the ball stop where it stops?
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 04:44:25 PM »
Why does the contestant still get cash if they lose on the first three grocery products ($1/$10/$100) in Grand Game, but nothing if they lose on the fourth grocery product ($1,000)?

Because they have the choice to quit the game at that point. If there's no risk involved, the game becomes less exciting.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 05:45:38 PM »
Since we are on the topic of Shell Game, does anyone know why Drew no longer allows the contestants to place the chips themselves?  I can't imagine that saved much more time than allowing them to do it...

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 06:01:57 PM »
Why , on the Money Game Board , the "Year" Number is placed where it is ( Top Row , Center ) ?

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 09:19:07 PM »
Because they have the choice to quit the game at that point. If there's no risk involved, the game becomes less exciting.
D'oh, not sure how I forgot about something so obvious when I asked that.
I hadn't really thought about this before, but the reality of death means that every day there are less people in the world than the day before.  In reality there are many more people in the world than this but for illustration: If one day there are 1000 people in the world and the next day 55 people die, now there are 945 people in the world. if 30 more die the next day now there are 915 people in the world. So we'll eventually become extinct as will all creatures as the same reality applies to dogs, cats, horses etc.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2017, 12:39:22 AM »
Since we are on the topic of Shell Game, does anyone know why Drew no longer allows the contestants to place the chips themselves?  I can't imagine that saved much more time than allowing them to do it...

I chalk it up to him just not paying that much attention to the intricacies of each game in his hosting style. He also doesn't let the contestant "Pass the Buck" anymore, he placed the marks on "Make Your Mark", and on at least one occasion he didn't even have the contestant open the safe.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 12:46:26 AM by CJBojangles »

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 10:06:16 PM »
Why are the prize values in Master Key and Rat Race (as well as the bonus prize in Clock Game) never announced?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 08:28:43 PM »
Why are the prize values in Master Key and Rat Race (as well as the bonus prize in Clock Game) never announced?

They could, I suppose, but I'm guessing it's to make a cleaner presentation.

For Master Key and Pay the Rent:

1) It doesn't make sense to describe the prizes as a "prize package" since the contestant can win any combination of the three prizes offered.
2) The home audience doesn't really care that much. The focus is directed towards if the car/prize is won, not on the value of the prize.

For Clock Game: In addition to #2 from above, you risk making the gameplay less smooth.

If you give the price of the whole prize package, you might end up misleading a nervous contestant into thinking, "Hmm, the whole prize package is $7,500, there's 3 prizes, what's 1/3 of that?" The audience can't do anything to correct them, so the game would end up in the game going something like this:

"$2,500." "Lower." "$2,400." "Lower". "$2,300".

That'd be painful to watch.

If you only give the price of the bonus prize, same deal. You're putting unwarranted focus on the bonus prize. This could throw off a contestant who doesn't realize they need to be focusing on the cheaper prizes, or that the other two prizes ARE significantly cheaper.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2017, 03:36:19 PM »
I have heard that in this day of the price, even if you are chosen to be a contestant, if you do not act the way MR wants you to act during the show before you called to come on down,, he will have you replaced with someone else.  Is that true?

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2017, 06:54:20 PM »
I have heard that in this day of the price, even if you are chosen to be a contestant, if you do not act the way MR wants you to act during the show before you called to come on down,, he will have you replaced with someone else.  Is that true?

Probably true. Probably happened in the Bob/Roger era as well.