Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 257698 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #255 on: May 20, 2020, 08:03:52 PM »
Just to update, per the FAQ, the episode in question featuring the pregnant woman (named Michelle) is the December 20, 1984 episode for anyone wanting to go back and watch it themselves too.

Offline newesttpirfan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #256 on: May 20, 2020, 10:11:29 PM »
Question about the models - what's the most amount of models they've ever had signed on at once? Not on a specific episode but in general.

Is it true that they had 10 models signed on the show at once? That seems like alot.

Rachel, gwen, lanisha, tamiko, phire, brandy, gabby, Shane, amber, manuela. I've seen them all in episodes in late 2008. 10 models at once being on rotation seems way too much.

Offline PookieNumNum

• Outside in Line
« Reply #257 on: May 21, 2020, 01:37:20 PM »
I have a question.  Why are the moderators on this site *such wonderful people?*

Ah, gee, thanks for the compliment. You shouldn't have.

...no, really. You shouldn't have. I see the actually-present mod staff has already taken care of your account, but I don't want that language anywhere near me. Bye. -Army
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 04:30:22 PM by PriceFanArmadillo »

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #258 on: May 21, 2020, 02:06:32 PM »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #259 on: May 24, 2020, 05:32:29 AM »
Has there been any instance (on half-hour shows) that all three players tied in winnings? If so, how will they determine the top winner and runner-up for the showcase?

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
« Reply #260 on: May 24, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »
I don't know if it has ever happened, but I would assume they would just do a coin flip?  That is already what they do to determine who spins the wheel first between contestants who have won the same amount.

Offline GR_Man_9009

• BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #261 on: May 24, 2020, 12:01:00 PM »
I don't know if it has ever happened, but I would assume they would just do a coin flip?  That is already what they do to determine who spins the wheel first between contestants who have won the same amount.
A coin has two sides and there's three people. That doesn't make sense.
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #262 on: May 24, 2020, 12:04:12 PM »
With the difference in prize values I doubt there was ever a tie between all three contestants. Even if none won a pricing game the Item Up for Bids prizes all had difference values. Ties between two contestants happen once a season if even that frequently.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #263 on: May 24, 2020, 12:12:02 PM »
A coin has two sides and there's three people. That doesn't make sense.

Easy, just flip twice

Heads then Heads: Player A
Heads then Tails: Player B
Tails then Heads: Player C
Tails then Tails: Flip two more times

But I would be ridiculously surprised if that ever happened (and if it did, whoever set up the prizes so a three-way tie was possible ought to get in big trouble)

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #264 on: May 24, 2020, 11:47:47 PM »
The answer to how they would break a three-way tie is of course "randomly," although the event is so unlikely, I'm sure the specific randomization method has never been decided upon. If it had happened while I was there, I would have proposed using the 1, 2, and 3 chips from Three Strikes.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #265 on: May 25, 2020, 01:49:30 AM »
I’ve wondered why they wouldn’t just switch the methods used between the Showdown and the showcases - they draw numbers out of a hat during the showcases, why not do that for the Showdown where you might have 3, and leave the coin flip for the showcases where there are only two.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #266 on: May 25, 2020, 03:19:39 AM »
Now I’m imagining some poor intern mixing them up and getting yelled at backstage

“NO YOU CANT FLIP A COIN TO BREAK TIES IN THE SHOWCASES, THAT’S NOT THE PROTOCOL, NOW PUT IT AWAY AND GO FIND A HAT”
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #267 on: May 26, 2020, 12:31:32 AM »
The answer to how they would break a three-way tie is of course "randomly," although the event is so unlikely, I'm sure the specific randomization method has never been decided upon. If it had happened while I was there, I would have proposed using the 1, 2, and 3 chips from Three Strikes.

I was thinking, they'd go by who won their games, in cases where 2 people did anyway. That'd make more sense to me. If only 1, or 0 did (if all 3 did they'd not have a tie I'd surmise).....then would need to go to another method though.

Offline JhayPrice

It's Optional QuestionS
« Reply #268 on: May 27, 2020, 01:04:15 AM »
a. In It's Optional, is it true that there are a maximum of 3 choices for 8 options, 4 choices for 9 options, and 5 choices for 10 options?

b. What car model did they use for the 2 cars on the scale on the boards?

Merged into the general questions thread. Not everything needs a new topic. Slightly reworded the question with the relocation of the post so it makes sense.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 06:02:03 PM by therealcu2010 »

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #269 on: May 28, 2020, 11:16:51 PM »
Has Roger ever stated why Pick-a-Number was played so infrequently during season 27-35? I've always wondered why it was a rarity during these years, especially since it's a very common game nowadays.
1,698 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!