Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 257154 times)

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #330 on: August 27, 2020, 07:11:54 PM »
Not sure about the blue and green swap, but as for orange becoming yellow the curtain behind the audience changed from orange to yellow sometime before the change (I forget if it was during season 30 or 31) so they finally changed the podium color to match later on.

IIRC, the change from orange to yellow was in place in Season 31.  Not sure if the episode where it became permanent was taped in 2002 or 2003, but it definitely happened before the Turntable update (and removal of the Daytime Hollywood mural).

I'm guessing the reason behind the blue & green swap is also related to the curtains behind the audience.  I think when it was changed in the early 1980s it started as red-blue-orange-green from left to right, while the podiums, which predated the 80s curtains, were still red-green-orange-blue throughout Season 9
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #331 on: August 28, 2020, 01:34:43 AM »
Why was the order of the colors in the curtains changed?

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #332 on: August 28, 2020, 07:52:31 AM »
Why was the order of the colors in the curtains changed?

I'm not sure if you mean the change from the '70s to the '80s curtains, but I believe you're referring to the reversals that happened in 1986 (after the primetime Specials were taped) and lasted until 1991, picking up a third green curtain along the way in 1988. Supposedly it was done after some extra lighting was installed behind them to give them a "glitter" effect, and the stagehands forgot to install them back in the correct order.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #333 on: September 30, 2020, 10:43:07 PM »
I just came across this..  Sorry if this has been answered,,

At least Make Your Mark, Clearance Sale, and Step Up all fit this criteria, and I strongly suspect Credit Card does as well. Barker's Bargain Bar and Check Game were essentially retired for years (particularly the former), and 3 Strikes teetered rather close to it given what happened in Season 37.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What happened with three strikes in Season 37??   

Online JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #334 on: September 30, 2020, 10:59:48 PM »
It was decided after the first playing of season 37 that the format of 3 Strikes with 5 chips and just 1 strike wasn't working anymore so they kept tinkering with it and finally stopped playing it. They started playing the game for normal cars rather than luxury ones and giving the first digit for free but added two strike chips which made the game more difficult. They made it one strike chip again for one playing, then removed it from the rotation for the remainder of the season.   

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #335 on: September 30, 2020, 11:50:04 PM »
I came across another video and  I did not know that PIR had a rainbow wheel..  When did they get rid of it and why did they get rid of it??  Would you like to see it come back

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #336 on: October 01, 2020, 12:19:57 AM »
Looks like they got rid of it by November of 1975.  Not sure why they moved on from it; probably one of many things (from rules to props to whatever) that get updated to something more indefinite, if not permanent.

While I thought the very short-lived Rainbow Wheel era was neat, however, I think I definitely do not want to see it return.  I can't speak for anyone, but the Big Wheel works for me
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #337 on: October 01, 2020, 12:23:28 AM »
The Rainbow Wheel was only used for the trial hour shows in September 1975. When the show made its permanent switch to the hour format is when the Big Wheel debuted... and of course, all this is right there in the Timeline  :roll:

Offline newesttpirfan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #338 on: October 11, 2020, 11:43:21 PM »
What date was the last time where they used the old trip skins? I was watching an episode from May 2009 today and noticed they were gone already.

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
« Reply #339 on: October 12, 2020, 11:23:40 AM »
What date was the last time where they used the old trip skins? I was watching an episode from May 2009 today and noticed they were gone already.

According to the timeline, the trip skins were permanently replaced by green screen on the first full week of November 2008. There were some out-of-order airings but it appears that Halloween 2008 would have had the last old trip skins.

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
« Reply #340 on: October 12, 2020, 11:33:35 AM »
If the timing is correct, then the last aired trip skin used would have been this ceiling-dropped Mount Rushmore skin as the first Item Up For Bids on Halloween 2008.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #341 on: October 13, 2020, 02:39:04 PM »
Didn't one of the Decades episodes (that they just re-aired recently) use an actual sign for a trip that was dropped from the ceiling?

Would that be the same (even though an unusual setting), as they either found one or recreated it for that particular show, and those shows were after 2008?

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
« Reply #342 on: October 13, 2020, 03:42:15 PM »
Oh, good call, the timeline didn't mention that but you're absolutely right! Here is the 1970s Day trip skin for a trip offered in Double Prices, on September 21, 2015:

And a 1980s Day showcase trip skin for Maui the next day:

So now you've got two answers: the last regular trip skin, and the last trip skin used for a special occasion!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 03:46:05 PM by Timotheus »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #343 on: October 14, 2020, 03:33:05 AM »
Oh, good call, the timeline didn't mention that

For reasons that I don't even remember anymore, I've never gotten around to doing timeline updates for most of what happened in Decades Week (or the next three weeks, for that matter).  I really should do that -- it was an incredibly fun set of shows.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
« Reply #344 on: October 14, 2020, 09:38:40 AM »
For reasons that I don't even remember anymore, I've never gotten around to doing timeline updates for most of what happened in Decades Week (or the next three weeks, for that matter).  I really should do that -- it was an incredibly fun set of shows.

No worries; most of the timeline is so detailed and comprehensive that I assumed without further checking that any trip skins would've been mentioned. I didn't intend pointing the omission as a knock on your work!