Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 254577 times)

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2017, 11:49:13 AM »
I have heard that in this day of the price, even if you are chosen to be a contestant, if you do not act the way MR wants you to act during the show before you called to come on down,, he will have you replaced with someone else.  Is that true?

My sense is that they keep their options open during the show and have the ability to "call an audible" during the show.  I wonder if this is more a function of a contestant originally NOT in the top 9, but on the fringe, gaining the attention of the producers as the show progresses.  I'd be very interested to hear how often this happens.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2017, 12:53:04 AM »
My sense is that they keep their options open during the show and have the ability to "call an audible" during the show.  I wonder if this is more a function of a contestant originally NOT in the top 9, but on the fringe, gaining the attention of the producers as the show progresses.

Interesting.

One of the misconceptions I used to have about the show was that contestants were selected based on "how well they cheered" as the show went into commercial breaks.  I had visions of the producers looking at the monitors, pointing out people they particularly liked as the cameras panned the crowd.

Of course, back then I didn't know about Stan Blits and his pre-interviews, and I didn't think about how the first four contestants were chosen, since there would have been no way for anyone to see how "well" they cheered going into a break.

But it seems that I may not have been completely wrong after all...
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2017, 01:22:13 AM »
Noticed this, from a post in the "That "Come on Down!" Feeling! (A Fan's Taping Experience - Now Aired)" thread...

Something I noticed a few times during stop downs was Stan kept coming out and scanning the audience with a folder in hand . . . . . I assume he was eyeing potential contestants as he shifted through his papers.

Wonder if it supports the theory that selected-but-not-yet-called contestants are "reviewed" during the taping.  Of course, we don't know WHAT Stan was doing with the folder, maybe he just wanted to know where the chosen ones were seated (perhaps to tell the camera where to shoot?).
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2017, 11:38:34 AM »
Another question from me that I've wondered the answer to for a while - since TPiR tugboat and train are really just forklifts, do the models need certification to operate it same as people who need it that work with them everyday in their jobs?
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2017, 12:28:02 PM »
Why are the prize values in Master Key and Rat Race (as well as the bonus prize in Clock Game) never announced?

Some of us posed questions about the rationale behind whether or not the total dollar amounts are announced to Roger Dobkowitz on Facebook and he essentially confirmed:

--The reason why the total prize package amount IS announced in games like Safe Crackers is because it's all-or-nothing. You can't win the main prize without winning the 3-digit prize. (By that rationale--and I believe Roger confirmed this, too--even if a car was on offer in Super Ball, the game was not officially considered a "win" if you did not win all 3 main prizes.)

--The reason why the total prize package amount is NOT announced in Master Key is because the game is officially considered a "win" as long as you win the car, whether or not you win the other two main prizes. (Same would go for Rat Race, as I recall.)

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2017, 05:34:53 PM »
Another question from me that I've wondered the answer to for a while - since TPiR tugboat and train are really just forklifts, do the models need certification to operate it same as people who need it that work with them everyday in their jobs?

I know the casual term that's been used when describing the train and tugboat chassis is "forklift," but in reality, the vehicle isn't an actual forklift. I don't know what specifically the vehicle underneath the train/tugboat is, but I conducted a brief, probably inaccurate search. If you Google "stock chaser," you'll see an electric vehicle fairly similar to what I've seen being driven around Television City -- I think that's what's underneath the train/tugboat shell. (Disclaimer: I'm not 100% positive, as I've never seen the shell being switched. But it's certainly the right shape.)

An even briefer search didn't turn up any special requirements to operate one of those vehicles, so I'm assuming that everything is on the up and up. And as soon as the model isn't visible on camera anymore, they get out and a CBS employee takes over operation of the vehicle. For example, in the Train Depot and Port o' Price showcases, as soon as the first prize stopped in front of the set opening, a CBS employee jumped in and drove the vehicle for the introduction of the remaining two prizes.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2017, 09:33:27 PM »
The recent thread on the longest turnaround between taping and airing got me thinking of a couple of similar subjects on which I have forgotten the answer: First, the shortest turnaround between taping and airing.  That was, what, three days?  And it's happened on a few occasions, correct?

Second, fewest number of shows in the can.  The number was obviously zero after season 35 before season 36 when a host still hadn't been decided.  It happened also for a short time span (only a few hours as I recall) at the end of one season because of some last-minute taping cancellations that resulted in the first taped shows of the following season happening after the airing of the season finale.  That was at the end of season 34, correct?
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2017, 09:46:54 PM »
The recent thread on the longest turnaround between taping and airing got me thinking of a couple of similar subjects on which I have forgotten the answer: First, the shortest turnaround between taping and airing.  That was, what, three days?  And it's happened on a few occasions, correct?
It was mentioned later in that thread - a military special in Season 39 (#5551K) aired the day after it taped. (it taped 5/2/2011, and aired 5/3/2011)

I'm not sure if we've had any three-day turnarounds, but I have a list of all taping dates going back to Season 41, and I do know that there was a two-day turnaround in Season 43 (#6911K, aired 12/8/2014).
I hadn't really thought about this before, but the reality of death means that every day there are less people in the world than the day before.  In reality there are many more people in the world than this but for illustration: If one day there are 1000 people in the world and the next day 55 people die, now there are 945 people in the world. if 30 more die the next day now there are 915 people in the world. So we'll eventually become extinct as will all creatures as the same reality applies to dogs, cats, horses etc.

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2017, 10:21:45 PM »
I'm not sure if we've had any three-day turnarounds, but I have a list of all taping dates going back to Season 41, and I do know that there was a two-day turnaround in Season 43 (#6911K, aired 12/8/2014).

Based on that show , that was James 1st show after he won the Male Model Search.

Offline nwfisch

• Outside in Line
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2017, 06:52:44 PM »
Is there a reason that Punch a bunch, the money doesn't roll over via Plinko?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2017, 07:12:39 PM »
Simple, Punch a Bunch was designed with a risk element, Plinko wasn't.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2017, 09:04:54 PM »
When did they start the habit of playing a Christmas carol during the closing of the last episode preceding Christmas day instead of the shows theme, as well as for the 4th of July?
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2017, 09:15:57 PM »
One thing I'm curious about, when did the tradition of season premiere weeks having extra set decorations and higher-than-usual prize budgets start?

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2017, 04:02:30 AM »
Season 10 (September 1981) is the earliest I can remember the set being decorated for premiere week shows.  Sometime around that point, started the tradition of Mark Goodson making an appearance during the season premiere each year until his death in December 1992.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:09:58 AM by dmaingame »

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2017, 05:27:03 PM »
Only other time I can remember any "decor" earlier is with the "ANNIVERSARY WEEK" sign on the center door when they had the rainbow wheel during September 1975.