Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 254698 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2017, 01:21:27 AM »
And that wasn't even premiere week.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2017, 01:42:28 PM »
Did anyone ever spin $1.00 on the 1994 Davidson shows that used the Big Wheel? If so, was any music played?

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2017, 05:53:56 PM »
When does the next season begin?

Offline Kapi

• Outside in Line
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2017, 11:30:28 AM »
I have a question regarding spinning the Big Wheel.

I've seen on many occasions the third person to spin will take the lead in one spin. (For example, the top spinner has 60 cents, while the last contestant to spin gets 75 cents on their first spin.) How come this person is never given the decision to spin again? Drew never mentions this as a possibility, and it simply seems like it's an unwritten rule of sorts to not ask.

I mean, obviously a lot of people are just going to take it and run, but what if someone wanted to take the risk to get a dollar, would they be able to, or does everything simply move on once they take the lead?

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2017, 11:42:12 AM »
^ Bob would usually say "You don't want to spin again, do you?" to such contestants for the sake of completeness. Drew probably should say something, similar to how he often ends Pass The Buck as soon as the car is won (although he has gotten better at not doing that in recent years, to be fair). I suppose a contestant could push the issue if they really wanted, but since he's gotten away with it for 10 years now, it's obviously not a huge concern for TPTB.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2017, 12:22:32 PM »
I'll bet that it's written into the rules, as explained to the contestants:
"If you're the 3rd spinner, and the first two go over, you're automatically in the Showcase.  We'll give you ONE SPIN to see if you can get a dollar."

There's no ambiguity to that rule, and no reason to ask if they want to spin again if the rule was presented that way.

Someone with more knowledge can clarify, but I suspect I'm not wrong.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2017, 10:55:00 PM »
^ That's not the situation OP asked about. What he was referring to was when the 1st or 2nd spinner is in the lead, say with 65 cents, and spinner #3's first spin lands on 70. Theoretically, even though they have a winning total, they are supposed to be offered one more spin to see if they can hit 1.00. Obviously the vast majority of contestants wouldn't ever do it, but it is an option that Bob mentioned and Drew skips over it.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2017, 11:12:04 PM »
Yup, you're right.  I totally misread that post.

Still, I'll bet it's explained in a similar fashion.
"If you're the third spinner and you beat the other spinner's score with 1 spin, you're in the Showcase."
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2017, 11:47:06 PM »
There's a Showcase Showdown question I have...

Let's say you're the third spinner, and you tie the leader with your first spin. When should you take the tie and try to win it in the spinoff, and when should you try to win it outright then and use your second spin?

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2017, 12:24:18 AM »
You and your opponent have an equal chance of winning in the spinoff.

Therefore, spin again at 45 cents or less and go to the spinoff at 55 cents or more.

Do whatever feels right at 50 cents.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »
Interesting, but let me build on that. Assume the previous question, but that it would be a three way tie for a three way spinoff. Does that change the math of it at all?

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2017, 03:38:11 PM »
That most definitely does change the math...

If there is a 3-way tie, then we go back to square one.  According to Scorpz's site, historically the 3rd spinner wins about 36% of the time...and advantage to be sure, but nothing overwhelming.

Therefore, my decision will be based on trying to improve upon my 36% if I accept the tie.  So, if the tie is at 60 cents, spinning again is wise, as I will win 40% of the time.  If the tie is at 65 cents, I can spin again and have a 35% chance of winning, but I may elect to go here with the added equity of hitting the dollar being 1/20. 
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline pricegator

• In the Audience
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2017, 10:34:52 AM »
In an interview with Mike Richard on youtube, the interviewer asks him if they have retired any games since he has taken over or recently and he says no. Do you think he forgot about Step Up or do you think Step Up will make a comeback?

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2017, 03:11:11 PM »
I will probably get bashed, but with the number of losses in games such as TTM and PTR, I doubt Richards will ever retire them.  Most of us know that he focuses more on the comedy aspect of the show.

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2017, 03:17:46 PM »
In an interview with Mike Richard on youtube, the interviewer asks him if they have retired any games since he has taken over or recently and he says no. Do you think he forgot about Step Up or do you think Step Up will make a comeback?

Well, looking at the interview that was posted last March, he said that they hadn't retired a game in "a while", but that could mean as long as a couple of years ago, which is when Step Up was last played (technically almost three years ago). I would consider it retired still, because it was taken off the list of pricing games on the show's website around the end of Season 43, if I remember correctly.
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp