Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 254789 times)

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2017, 03:20:10 PM »
Most of us know that he focuses more on the comedy aspect of the show.
You really must watch a different show than I do.  Other than the April Fool's special episodes, I can't think of anything in recent years that was done specifically for comedy values.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2017, 03:50:44 PM »
In an interview with Mike Richard on youtube, the interviewer asks him if they have retired any games since he has taken over or recently and he says no.
At least Make Your Mark, Clearance Sale, and Step Up all fit this criteria, and I strongly suspect Credit Card does as well. Barker's Bargain Bar and Check Game were essentially retired for years (particularly the former), and 3 Strikes teetered rather close to it given what happened in Season 37.

I will probably get bashed, but with the number of losses in games such as TTM and PTR, I doubt Richards will ever retire them.
I assure you that more than a few around here are in full agreement with you, particularly since Pay the Rent was initially never meant to be won.

Most of us know that he focuses more on the comedy aspect of the show.
As Casey stated, not quite. He seems more focused on the "BIG PRIZE" mentality (see, again, Pay the Rent).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:57:11 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SBarsodo

• In the Audience
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2017, 03:33:12 PM »
I have quick question.  I seem to remember a long time ago I was watching an episode of TPIR and saw that they offered a hoveround in Double Prices.  I think it was during the early 2000's.  Is this true?

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2017, 03:37:24 PM »
I'm not sure about that occurrence but I seem to believe they had offered one on Race Game sometime around 2006/2007.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2017, 04:05:45 PM »
I remember one being offered in Pushover during season 31.

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2017, 11:30:44 AM »
Has TPIR posted a good quality image of The Prize League? The animated picture of it they used for it, not just a screenshot of everyone in costume. It would be neat to have.

Offline CaptainPrice

• In the Audience
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2018, 07:24:45 PM »
Does anyone know which games were retired because of them being disliked by the staff?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2018, 12:08:12 PM »
Telephone Game is definitely one- it was retired because it was lame. Give or Keep was also retired because much of the staff didn't like it very much. I think Buy or Sell may be one other to add, I think I remember seeing Roger said it wasn't very popular among the staff.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2018, 07:54:20 PM »
I've been watching old episodes of the show and I'm wondering, Why was Give or Keep not put on the turntable?
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2018, 08:25:10 PM »
Why was Give or Keep not put on the turntable?
Because the Turntable was used for the pairs of prizes. Granted, I'm not sure why they couldn't have designed Give or Keep as a stage game (in a sense, they tried it that way, if you consider the existence of Finish Line), but there's your reason.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2018, 03:50:55 PM »
Just a completely random question I thought of when watching Safe Crackers yesterday - at what point is Door #2 opened up to reveal that the game is Safe Crackers? I would imagine not too early as to not spoil anything, but also with how slowly the doors seem to open compared to when they didn't have lights on the front, I can't figure out when they might open it.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2018, 05:05:04 PM »
I can't speak for the current doors, but back in 2013, it happened roughly at the time that Drew announced the actual retail price of the item up for bids. In other words, not until they knew there was a One Bid winner, but pretty much as soon as they knew there was a One Bid winner.

I'd estimate it takes about five seconds for Drew to say the price, declare the winner, and then for the winner to make their way up the stairs and out of the shot. Add a couple of seconds of the shot lingering on the audience if need be, and I'd think there'd always be adequate time for the doors to reveal enough of the game for the next shot.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2018, 05:40:09 PM »
Thanks very much for your response! Yeah, I just know that I don't think I've ever seen it be the case that you can still see the doors opening at the tale end, as you can usually see with Lucky $even, when the camera pans to its game "board."
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2018, 02:36:13 PM »
Kinda random, but does anyone know if/when they stopped doing the Every Room in the House showcases? I always enjoyed those.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline CaptainPrice

• In the Audience
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2018, 06:48:53 PM »
I’m honestly not sure. My guess is sometime in the range of 2003-08.

I think this one’s been asked before but does anyone know why Lucky $even didn’t offer another 5-digit car for about six years after the 1986 specials? I think one was offered on the daytime show, but it went back to the 4-digit format until approx. 1992.