Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 254564 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2018, 08:56:13 PM »
I’m honestly not sure. My guess is sometime in the range of 2003-08.

I think this one’s been asked before but does anyone know why Lucky $even didn’t offer another 5-digit car for about six years after the 1986 specials? I think one was offered on the daytime show, but it went back to the 4-digit format until approx. 1992.
Probably because of how awkward the original 5-digit format for Lucky Seven was, would explain why they stopped using that rule set. Though I'm not sure why it took them six years to devise the current 5-digit format. Thinking about it, and how they usually made the older car games 5-digit-compatible, makes me surprised they didn't use the current rules from the outset.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2018, 11:16:11 AM »
I don't know if this has been answered before or if I can find the answer elsewhere, but this is concerning Pick a Pair. Drew always asks which of the two grocery products the contestant wants to keep, in the event that they do not pick a correct pair at the beginning, as they know the price of two already. Is the contestant obligated to match another product up with one of the two known prices, or is the contestant allowed to pick two completely different products?

I know it's better to go with a known product, but was just curious if, for some reason, they didn't want to whether they would be allowed to do that.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2018, 02:14:47 PM »
Is the contestant obligated to match another product up with one of the two known prices, or is the contestant allowed to pick two completely different products?
I believe they are obligated to match one of the two items they picked on their first turn, and always have been.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2018, 11:39:33 AM »
I'm trying to look through the timeline, but unless I missed something, I can't see:

Just totally curious, how long was it before there was a week in which no pricing game was repeated? I'm already into looking at season 4, and I'm reasonably certain it was long before then that that happened.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2018, 01:52:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's not in the timeline -- off the top of my head, I don't think that's a question I have the answer to (although we could certainly find it).
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2018, 03:18:17 PM »
I was curious, so I tried to look it up.

The actual answer to the question as worded is Week 41 in Season 1. There were only two episodes in that production week and none of the 6 games repeated.

The answer for a full week might be Week 152 in Season 3 or Week 165 in Season 4. Both of those weeks we only know 14 of the 15 games played, but none of them repeated. If the missing games were repeats then it never happened in the half hour era.

The first confirmed full week of no repeat games is Week 293 in Season 7. Notably, that was the week where Shower Game and It's Optional debuted which seemed to add just enough variety.

I would go with that as the actual answer, but the week actually aired out-of-order due to a preemption so it wasn't the first Monday through Friday of new episodes without a repeat game. That appears to have been Week 359 in Season 8.

Many thanks to the keepers of the calendars.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2018, 03:47:29 PM »
I was just thinking about why they limited Lucky 7 to 4-digit cars for such a long time, and I was thinking that because of the size of the game it was just too cumbersome to switch back and forth between 4 and 5 digit prices, so they hung onto a 4 digit display for as long as they could.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2018, 10:19:58 PM »
Why during the prize descriptions for Take Two and Race Game early on were the prizes described out of linear order? It seemed to go 1-4-2-3 instead of just describing them down the line the way they were introduced as the curtain rose.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2018, 12:52:39 AM »
Why during the prize descriptions for Take Two and Race Game early on were the prizes described out of linear order? It seemed to go 1-4-2-3 instead of just describing them down the line the way they were introduced as the curtain rose.

To give the cameras a chance to reposition, and reframe the shot.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• In Contestant's Row
  • Third person to ever see the new studio
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2018, 10:06:58 PM »
This question has probably been asked before, but what will the show do with the production numbers when they go over 9995K? Just change the letter at the end (i.e. 9995D ---> 0001K)?
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2018, 10:40:20 PM »
This question has probably been asked before, but what will the show do with the production numbers when they go over 9995K? Just change the letter at the end (i.e. 9995D ---> 0001K)?

They might also do something like 10001K and reclassify everything before that with a leading zero, ie, something like 08493K.  Show 9995K isn’t happening for at least another 4 or 5 years though.

Offline BBarker

• Outside in Line
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2018, 12:24:23 PM »
When did the models stop wearing bikinis?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2018, 04:21:32 PM »
When did the models stop wearing bikinis?
Total guess on my part, but I'd assume somewhere around 1988 or so, probably so as not to draw attention to the fact that Janice couldn't model them anymore after her camera accident.

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2018, 05:05:00 PM »
Total guess on my part, but I'd assume somewhere around 1988 or so, probably so as not to draw attention to the fact that Janice couldn't model them anymore after her camera accident.

They kept wearing them after that point - based on what I've seen, they stopped around 1992. I've heard rumors that they were eliminated due to the backlash over Dian's first Playboy shoot, but I haven't seen that confirmed.

Bikinis wore brought back on Drew's first (aired) MDS.

Speaking of Janice's supposed swimsuit ban - I've found an episode that shows that the claim is patently untrue. This episode from December 1988 has Janice wearing a swimsuit in the Showcases. With this being right after her return, I'd imagine that she probably kept wearing swimsuits for a while after this point. It's likely she simply stopped because she was getting older.

Offline BBarker

• Outside in Line
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2018, 07:32:16 PM »
I remember Phire and Rachel wearing bikinis around 2008-2010. I haven't watched the show all that much since then.