Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 254567 times)

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2019, 04:57:13 PM »
He would rightly lose.  If he's that worried about, then set it higher.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2019, 08:00:54 PM »
I don't watch the show regularly any more so this may have changed a while back. When did the CBS Pages stop standing at or near contestant's row during taping? Are there any pages in studio at all now?

A month late but they're still there, just farther offstage than they used to be. When there's a chance a contestant that may need assistance wins their One Bid the pages appear magically near the stairs.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2019, 10:44:22 PM »
Magic #: Suppose the contestant is trying to set the magic number at $2200, but the machine is too sensitive and goes from $2197 to $2204, etc. Now I've heard Drew say in the past something like, "That's good enough." If the contestant ultimately sets the number to $2198, when he wanted $2200, and if the ARP of the low prize is $2199, what would happen? Should said contestant be awarded the prize?

I say yes, because in this case Drew is directly affecting the gameplay by telling the contestant that $2198 is "good enough" for a $2200 answer.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Online b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2019, 02:41:16 PM »
I've heard in many recap reports of games that had "forced wins" and "forced losses." What are "forced wins" and "forced losses"?

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2019, 04:44:32 PM »
I've heard in many recap reports of games that had "forced wins" and "forced losses." What are "forced wins" and "forced losses"?

A "forced win" is when a game is intentionally set up in such a way that it would be difficult to lose. Example--a Lucky $even price that's something like $14,545. Seems like lots of players guess 5's, so they'd have plenty of money left to buy the car.

A "forced loss" works the same way, except that the game is intentionally set up in such a way that it would be almost impossible to win. Again using Lucky $even--a price like $19,129 would just be plain mean, but it's hard to argue 1s, 2s, and 9s are common guesses.

Some games are tough to do that with, like Dice Game--you're at the mercy of what the player rolls, and no one can control that except the player. But there are others, like Pathfinder, where you can make the SP portion hard, and make it tougher for the player to earn a second chance if they make a mistake on the main game.

Make sense?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2019, 04:57:23 PM »

A “forced win” is when a game is set up to be unusually easy so that pretty much any contestant would win it as long as they pick the obvious answers.

For example, a Switch setup played for trips to Texas and New York. Or a Push Over setup like “457129083”. Or a Grand Game setup where the two items over the target are both expensive-looking vitamin supplements.

A “forced loss” is when a game is set up so that a contestant picking the obvious-looking will lose. Like, if there’s something insane in the Texas trip to make it cost more than New York. Or if Push Over’s prize ends up being $5712 instead of the more obvious $7129. Or if one of the expensive-looking supplements actually turns out to be under the target.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Online b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2019, 05:37:00 PM »
A "forced win" is when a game is intentionally set up in such a way that it would be difficult to lose. Example--a Lucky $even price that's something like $14,545. Seems like lots of players guess 5's, so they'd have plenty of money left to buy the car.

A "forced loss" works the same way, except that the game is intentionally set up in such a way that it would be almost impossible to win. Again using Lucky $even--a price like $19,129 would just be plain mean, but it's hard to argue 1s, 2s, and 9s are common guesses.

Some games are tough to do that with, like Dice Game--you're at the mercy of what the player rolls, and no one can control that except the player. But there are others, like Pathfinder, where you can make the SP portion hard, and make it tougher for the player to earn a second chance if they make a mistake on the main game.

Make sense?

Very much so-- by the definition of a forced win that you provided, it would seem like the Vend-O-Price win on the recent Middle School Kids' Week show would be one, because those packs of cheese were so expensive, that it had to be obvious that the producers wanted that kid cave won (I may be incorrect, though).

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2019, 07:23:04 PM »
Magic # is a prime example. Being as though most contestants will stop below $2500, it's easy to plan.

CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2019, 08:41:22 PM »
Magic # is a prime example. Being as though most contestants will stop below $2500, it's easy to plan.

I'm not sure Magic # is the best example, though, because for some reason, people tend to be really bad at it.  I've seriously begun to wonder if they've decided they can make every playing as easy as they want because the contestants will still manage to lose half the time.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2019, 11:28:53 PM »
Quote from: b_masters8
Very much so-- by the definition of a forced win that you provided, it would seem like the Vend-O-Price win on the recent Middle School Kids' Week show would be one, because those packs of cheese were so expensive, that it had to be obvious that the producers wanted that kid cave won (I may be incorrect, though).
Yes, that particular playing of Vend-O-Price is a very good example of the concept of a forced win.

A recent playing of Switch? had two trips offered:
  • Trip to Florida (RT Coach to Miami, FL then to Isalmorada for a 6n stay an oceanfront suite at Amara Cay resort + daily breakfast, 1 non-motorized watersports experience) (Devin)
It was priced at $9005

• Trip to Colorado (RT Coach to Denver, CO for a 6n stay ina deluxe room at Hotel Teatro + daily breakfast, Rocky Mountain Zip Line experience) (Melissa)
This was priced at $5507

Would you SWITCH??

Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2019, 11:50:48 AM »
I thought I read this somewhere at some point, but do they still use the Contestants' Row monitors do keep tally of the money accumulated in the Money Game so Drew can see?
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline AvsFan

• In the Audience
« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2019, 09:44:39 PM »
Does anyone know what the ARPs of the second- and third-largest prizes in Master Key and Rat Race are, on average (just an approximate figure)?

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2019, 01:23:53 AM »
^The thing about that is that the prizes aren't truly relevant to the gameplay. Essentially, they act as a secondary and tertiary prize as opposed to the big prize, which is usually a car. Like what I did with analyzing Card Game's distribution, you might have to just find the data yourself.

However, resources like qwizx.com or even Adam's recaps sometimes find an exact match, which can help you get a general idea.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Shaymin

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • May we have some decorum here, please?
    • Nintendo Free Radio
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2019, 11:13:03 AM »
Does the Dice Game board still have the possibility to display numbers outside of the 1-6 range even though they haven't needed to in 40+ years?

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2019, 12:59:57 PM »
Unless they've updated the control panel since this picture, the answer appears to be yes.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024