Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 254758 times)

Offline Counterpoint

• In the Audience
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2019, 06:06:50 PM »
If it's even allowed, could I go to two tapings in one day, or does the waiting portion of the second taping overlap with the taping of the first?

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2019, 08:40:16 PM »
You can go to two tapings in one day as long as they're about 5 hours apart. (For example, if the tapings are at 8:30, 12, and 3:30, you could go to the 8:30 and 3:30 tapings). The only catch is they ask you to get a ticket only for the first show, and then if there's room, they'll let you back in line for the second one.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2019, 02:30:13 AM »
Protip--specifically ask the page or one of the OCA members as you're walking out if there are any seats for the next taping. Even if George doesn't specifically ask for returnees at the end of the taping, there's still a chance there might be a few seats left and they can squeeze you in. Only catch is there is no guarantee your group will be able to sit together in the studio, and your seats will obviously not be as good.

You do the whole process again from just after the green screen photo, including a fresh interview with Stan, and contestants who weren't picked in the day's first taping have gotten picked in the second.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• In Contestant's Row
  • Third person to ever see the new studio
« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2019, 01:06:19 AM »
Does Ten Chances use whiteboards, or do they load up each slot with a fresh piece of cardstock or other paper-type material?
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2019, 01:30:37 AM »
Does Ten Chances use whiteboards, or do they load up each slot with a fresh piece of cardstock or other paper-type material?
I'd assume paper of some kind, since I've seen players scribble over what they were writing in order to change their guess (i.e., if they repeat a digit, etc.), rather than erasing it (as you could on a dry-erase board).

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2019, 09:24:50 AM »
Yes, they still use paper. On a recent playing of 10 Chances (jump to 36:03) a contestant used a number twice in the price of the car. She scribbled out her guess, eventually prompting Drew to flip the card over.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2019, 11:02:34 AM »
1) Once a player nearly ran out of time on Hot Seat and I heard the end of the song. I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t a buzzer at the end of the track.
5) Yup, now they changed it.
7) Yup. I almost think it’s a matter of time until games like Stack the Deck and Cover Up do that too.
10) Yup, Pocket Change uses the regular buzzer uncovering the $0.00 card on Pocket Change, but the foghorn plays regardless of the card revealed if the game is lost
11) I imagine it would be akin to Secret X. I’ve seen playings where Secret X players got both small products wrong, thus not being able to reveal the Secret X and hear the foghorn, and they heared the regular buzzer followed by the losing horns.

1) Balance Game 2006 uses the regular buzzer to the best of my knowledge.
2) I’m fairly certain Bargain Game uses the regular buzzer, although I’ll have to check.
3) Check Game now uses the regular buzzer for both underbids and overbids, but I just wanna make sure.
4) Gas Money uses the regular buzzer.
5) More or Less? uses the regular buzzer, played with the losing horns if the player loses on the first prize.
6) The most recent playing of Take Two had the regular buzzer played both times.

Certain sound effects don’t sit well with me either, and I’m not particularly keen on the foghorn buzzer either.

To me, I'm not a fan of the current regular buzzer due to the harshness of the sound which has been in place since 1991 (even though they've softened it a bit in the final years of the Barker era and all of the Carey era, it still sounds the same). I do know that from the mid 80s up to the early-mid 90s a lot of games used both sounds for losses, sometimes interchangeably from one sound to another after one loss to the next. Even Card Game did use the foghorn for overbids from the game's debut up until about the mid 90s or so.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 11:05:46 AM by mellongraig »

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2019, 12:48:11 PM »
One Away also used the regular buzzer until the current SFX automation began in 2013.

Safe Crackers, Blank Check/Check Game, Pick-a-Pair and Five Price Tags (whenever a NO was revealed) once used the foghorn buzzer, but they have all been changed to the regular buzzer (same goes for Danger Price and More or Less).

There was a time when a handful of games used both buzzers interchangeably, mostly during the late 80s and early 90s; the most notable examples were GP games, like Check-Out, Grocery Game, Grand Game and the retired $uper $aver.

Bargain Game still uses the foghorn buzzer whenever it is lost; it and Most Expensive have been known to use the regular buzzer in the past, which does not fit either game at all.

Speaking of no buzzer for time running out in Hot Seat, I remember when this was true for Switcheroo until it was changed near the end of Barker's run as host.

On the unusual side of things, I've heard the foghorn sounded for losses in 1 Right Price, Double Prices, Hi Lo and Money Game (with the first three usually using the regular buzzer, while Money Game uses neither), and the regular buzzer in Lucky $even and Any Number (where the ding and losing horns are used instead).

Offline Counterpoint

• In the Audience
« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2019, 05:21:14 AM »
I'm sure nobody would ever do this, but if the first two people to spin the wheel went over, could the third person theoretically spin twice to try to get $1 or will they only allow one spin in that scenario?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #144 on: November 08, 2019, 09:28:18 AM »
If the third spinner doesn't get a dollar on their first spin they aren't allowed to spin again.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2019, 09:36:09 PM »
If the third spinner doesn't get a dollar on their first spin they aren't allowed to spin again.

Unless if the big wheel does not go all the way around, in that case a re-spin would be necessary.

Offline Counterpoint

• In the Audience
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2019, 08:53:45 PM »
How is Drew "informed" which showcase price to reveal first?   Obviously the producers have him go in the order that will cause the most drama (when possible), but how is he told?  He acts like he looks at something on the podiums.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2019, 08:58:43 PM »
IIRC, Drew goes backstage during that commercial break. I'm sure he is told who to start with there.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2019, 09:22:19 PM »
Along those lines, aren't any DSWs always supposed to be revealed 2nd?
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2019, 09:26:39 PM »
Along those lines, aren't any DSWs always supposed to be revealed 2nd?

Unless you can think of a scenario in which a DSW revealed first would create a more dramatic reaction...yes.