Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 254574 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • May we have some decorum here, please?
    • Nintendo Free Radio
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2019, 09:32:19 PM »
Re: revealing a DSW-caliber bid first, I'd have to think the only way that would happen would be if both contestants were in DSW range.

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2019, 09:43:15 PM »
Say that the following happens during the showcase showdown:
-Both Player A and Player B get $1.00, therefore starting a bonus spinoff; Player C loses by normal means
-during the bonus spinoff, Player A spins the wheel, but doesn't get it all the way around

The rule during a typical single person bonus spin is that your spin doesn't count and you're not allowed to spin again.  What would this rule mean for Player A in the above scenario?  Would they be eliminated right then and there, with Player B winning by default (and still getting their bonus spin of course)?  Would they get an effective score of 0, and be eliminated if Player B successfully gets the wheel around, and engage in a non-bonus spinoff if Player B also fails to get the wheel around?  Or would something else happen?

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2019, 09:45:05 PM »
Say that the following happens during the showcase showdown:
-Both Player A and Player B get $1.00, therefore starting a bonus spinoff; Player C loses by normal means
-during the bonus spinoff, Player A spins the wheel, but doesn't get it all the way around

The rule during a typical single person bonus spin is that your spin doesn't count and you're not allowed to spin again.  What would this rule mean for Player A in the above scenario?  Would they be eliminated altogether, with Player B winning by default (and still getting their bonus spin of course)?  Would they get an effective score of 0, and be eliminated if Player B successfully gets the wheel around, and engage in a non-bonus spinoff if Player B also fails to get the wheel around?  Or would something else happen?

I've seen this happen before, at least once during the Barker years. It works like this: if in the event of a bonus spinoff, if a contestant doesn't get the wheel all the way around, they have to spin again but it doesn't count for the bonus spin; whatever the wheel stops on is what goes on the scoreboard for the spinoff.

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2019, 09:47:07 PM »
I've seen this happen before, at least once during the Barker years. It works like this: if in the event of a bonus spinoff, if a contestant doesn't get the wheel all the way around, they have to spin again but it doesn't count for the bonus spin; whatever the wheel stops on is what goes on the scoreboard for the spinoff.
Ah, makes sense.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2019, 09:49:33 PM »
Re: revealing a DSW-caliber bid first, I'd have to think the only way that would happen would be if both contestants were in DSW range.

Unless one of them has a WSD. There are only two choices regarding which one to reveal first, either:

A) The DSW is revealed first, putting much pressure on the opponent to beat the DSW, but when the second bid is revealed, it creates an anti-climax (as you would think that the better DSW would be revealed second), or,

B) The WSD is revealed first, which creates tension via the fact that there very well could be a DOB and even a WSQ.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2019, 09:55:44 PM »

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2019, 10:00:50 PM »
Sorry, I'm thinking I'm in CSS  :D A WSQ is when both players are over by less than $250 from each of their showcases. So named because it's QSW (quadruple showcase winner - double showcase winner x2) backwards, which is when each player is less than $250 away from their respective showcase, but neither goes over.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2019, 10:06:38 PM »
There was a show in season 31, the November 27 show, where a contestant did not get the wheel all the way around in a bonus spin/spinoff and was disqualified without being able to spin again to have a score for the spinoff. http://tpirstats.com/Season31/November/27.html

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2019, 10:35:40 PM »
Sorry, I'm thinking I'm in CSS  :D

Let's keep CSS terms in the CSS section, shall we? CSS is like HYO--not all of us spend time in those sections.

There was a show in season 31, the November 27 show, where a contestant did not get the wheel all the way around in a bonus spin/spinoff and was disqualified without being able to spin again to have a score for the spinoff. http://tpirstats.com/Season31/November/27.html

The time I'm thinking of was when the red carpet in front of the wheel was just dots (in other words, a LONG time ago) so it's entirely possible I'm misremembering.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #159 on: November 14, 2019, 10:57:37 PM »

And that did once in the 70's with the $30 vs. $29 situation, would that have been the only time? I'm tending to assume so.....but probably wrong lol.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2019, 01:16:48 PM »
How is Drew "informed" which showcase price to reveal first?   Obviously the producers have him go in the order that will cause the most drama (when possible), but how is he told?  He acts like he looks at something on the podiums.
IIRC, Drew goes backstage during that commercial break. I'm sure he is told who to start with there.

I'll assume it still works this way...

Along with Drew and a producer, one of the people backstage who is learning which price to reveal first is the person who holds the cue cards so Drew can remember what each showcase was ("You had a year's supply of coffee, a trip to Kona, and a Hyundai Kona"). As the show comes out of commercial, that person holds up the card with the first showcase whose price should be revealed, and at the top of the card is the generic identifier that's on the showcase displays (HAWAII/SUV). Drew is looking at the showcase display to make sure he's at the one that matches the cue card that matches the first price to reveal.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2019, 01:24:37 PM »
And that did once in the 70's with the $30 vs. $29 situation, would that have been the only time? I'm tending to assume so.....but probably wrong lol.

This wasn’t a DSW but I recall an episode from the eighties where the first contestants difference was only about $300 or so, leaving me to think the second contestant was even closer, however the second contestant missed by a few thousand

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2019, 11:10:57 PM »
Sometimes especially during the Barker years Bob would poll the audience to determine who has won by virtue of applause/cheer and then start accordingly from there. That seemed more common in the 80s and a lesser extent in the 90s.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2019, 12:02:18 AM »
The time I'm thinking of was when the red carpet in front of the wheel was just dots (in other words, a LONG time ago) so it's entirely possible I'm misremembering.
There's also been at least once where the person that didn't get the wheel all the way around in a spin-off did get to spin again to have a spin-off score. There was a lot of flack for Bob disqualifying the contestant in the season 31 incident since it went against what had been done prior and was unfair to the contestant.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2019, 01:57:20 AM »
It's possible that sometime between the earlier incident and Season 31, they realized they didn’t a rule for that situation and officially changed/added “it doesn’t count and you don’t get to spin again" to the spinoff rules.

But the more likely explanation is Bob had a senior moment, and either nobody in the production caught it, or nobody wanted to stop tape to correct the EP on the air.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."