Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 257158 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2020, 08:34:20 PM »
Ehhhh, I suspect they would deem that unimportant information, and if it is important, most likely confidential. So I would guess, no.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #196 on: March 10, 2020, 01:02:51 AM »
There’s no way of knowing which prizes are accepted or declined short of tracking down winners and asking them. That’s not something the show would ever make public.

But if you’re a producer trying to produce “winners” but still control the budget, there might be some logic in offering a $20,000 bathroom hoping that most contestants would turn it down rather than spend $6,000 on taxes for something they don’t really want or need.

Trips do not need to be taken immediately if accepted. They can be taken anytime within one year from the air date.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline GasMoney09721007

• Outside in Line
« Reply #197 on: March 13, 2020, 09:19:32 AM »
What's the record for the most spin-offs in one Showcase Showdown? (Or at the very least, spin-offs that made it to air since at some point I'm sure some had to be cut for time)

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #198 on: March 13, 2020, 09:29:21 AM »
What's the record for the most spin-offs in one Showcase Showdown? (Or at the very least, spin-offs that made it to air since at some point I'm sure some had to be cut for time)
I don't know if this is the actual record, but 3 is the most I've ever seen, and it's happened at least twice:
https://youtu.be/7fFqiuXoLcA
https://youtu.be/lOPW-m6D01g

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #199 on: March 30, 2020, 10:16:22 AM »
When it comes to grocery items, what determines when the show refers to them by their brand name vs. a generic label? For example on Friday’s show a box of Fruit Rollups were called “fruit flavored snack rolls” or a bottle of Asprin might be called “A bottle of pain reliever pills” which a carton of juice might be called “A 12 ounce carton of Minute Maid Pink Lemonade”. Does it just come down to whether or not the brand is a sponsor or not?

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #200 on: March 30, 2020, 10:50:44 AM »
When it comes to grocery items, what determines when the show refers to them by their brand name vs. a generic label? For example on Friday’s show a box of Fruit Rollups were called “fruit flavored snack rolls” or a bottle of Asprin might be called “A bottle of pain reliever pills” which a carton of juice might be called “A 12 ounce carton of Minute Maid Pink Lemonade”. Does it just come down to whether or not the brand is a sponsor or not?

Yes.

Offline newesttpirfan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #201 on: April 12, 2020, 07:04:52 PM »
Kinda random, but does anyone know if/when they stopped doing the Every Room in the House showcases? I always enjoyed those.

I seem to recall an episode in January 2010 when they did an every room in the house showcase, and it was accompanied by either splendido or that other old cue used for furniture showcases, probably the last time I heard that cue in its full.

Speaking of cues, I've been watching some older episodes from seasons 36 to 40 lately, and I've noticed a complete and utter overhaul of the classic music cues in terms of them completely ridding most of them between season 37 and 38. Why did they do this? I miss those, especially the MGHS one. I recall the last time I heard that was January 3, 2012, Jenny McCarthy's special appearance episode. Was that the last time it was heard or did it survive a bit longer than that? Did any others survive into the 2010s? I sort of remember that old trip cue from the 80s lasting until about 2011 too.  In terms of today, I absolutely hate most of the new cues. Surprised they haven't thrown the 1994 cue from the davidson for multiple prize games down the drain yet for being too "old"

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #202 on: April 12, 2020, 07:06:43 PM »
Beanstalker is still being used to this day, but that's the only one I know of.

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline newesttpirfan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #203 on: April 12, 2020, 07:09:32 PM »
Beanstalker is still being used to this day, but that's the only one I know of.

An updated version of it though. I don't think they've used the original cue as a part of regular rotation since late 2009, maybe 2010, not counting special episodes like decades week, etc.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #204 on: April 12, 2020, 07:14:39 PM »
Hmm, then that's probably the case then, most cues being thrown out entirely with the remainder being slightly updated. Pretty sure that's the case with the '94 cue you mentioned (Fortune Hunter cue?) since it doesn't seem to me that the one used currently is the original.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #205 on: April 12, 2020, 07:34:28 PM »
An updated version of it though. I don't think they've used the original cue as a part of regular rotation since late 2009, maybe 2010, not counting special episodes like decades week, etc.

They’ve also been using remixes of The Big Banana and Cats.

Also are the cues they used for the air hockey table and tool package IUFBs in Friday the 10th’s show from the Barker era?
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline newesttpirfan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #206 on: April 12, 2020, 08:14:52 PM »
They’ve also been using remixes of The Big Banana and Cats.

Also are the cues they used for the air hockey table and tool package IUFBs in Friday the 10th’s show from the Barker era?

I have that episode on tape, I'll have to take a look. I didn't notice any usage of Cats from recent episodes but I may have just missed it. I'm trying to be more attentive when watching to see if I can pick up on these things but sometimes its tough as I watch TPIR while on the treadmill. Other than the older harp cue used in the baby shower episode last year, the only other one I noticed (about a month ago) during the showcase was a sort of updated version of that saxephone type showcase cue from the early 2000's or late 90s, no clue what it's name but usually it played for furniture showcases then and it was played with a car this time.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #207 on: April 14, 2020, 12:01:17 PM »
Which pricing games overall have the worst win percentage? Not counting stuff like Plinko where a “win” is practically impossible. I know games can be and often are setup to either be won or lost based on typical player strategy, but which games just don’t get won very often? I feel like I almost never see anyone win That’s Too Much, and yesterday’s win was probably only the second or third time I’ve ever seen a win in that one.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #208 on: April 14, 2020, 12:28:28 PM »
Hot Seat and Pay the Rent are probably the worst you're gonna find. Punchy you might be able to include with Plinko, as there's a 1 in 40 chance of "winning".

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #209 on: April 14, 2020, 02:36:58 PM »
Thanks to tpirstats.com, you don't have to guess.

Excluding Plinko, between Season 29 through 47, Punch-a-Bunch has the worst win/loss record, at 22-336.

The top (bottom?) 5 worst records are:
Punch-a-Bunch   22-336    6.15%
Pay the Rent     5-75     6.25%
It's in the Bag 26-436    7.39%
Hot Seat         4-41     8.89%
Gas Money       14-126   10.00%
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.