Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 254769 times)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2020, 02:50:07 PM »
If we're only counting the last five seasons (including S48), Temptation is also really bad at 1-34, second only to Punch-a-Bunch at 2-71.

That's Too Much, on the other hand, looks like an absolute cakewalk at 30-97, the 15th most difficult.

The most difficult game that doesn't allow for a bailout or partial win is Stack the Deck at 7-43, the 8th most difficult.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 02:52:46 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2020, 02:51:43 PM »
I feel like Punch a Bunch should also not be included along with Plinko since winning the top prize is entirely luck based.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #212 on: April 14, 2020, 03:21:00 PM »
I also feel like games that contain an out like Pay the Rent or Hot Seat should be counted differently too since we’re only going to count a win as the top prize, but the majority of players are going to cut out early whether they would have won it all or not

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #213 on: April 14, 2020, 03:35:24 PM »
I feel like Punch a Bunch should also not be included along with Plinko since winning the top prize is entirely luck based.

I chose to set Plinko aside because it's hundreds of times less likely to be "won" than every other game, not just because it's luck-based.

Plus I'm a heretic who believes that unless you are Ted Slauson, most of the big cash and car games require the contestant to have some degree of luck in order to win. There's not a huge difference between picking which hole to punch and guessing whether the tens digit in Temptation is a 1 or a 3.

I also feel like games that contain an out like Pay the Rent or Hot Seat should be counted differently too since we’re only going to count a win as the top prize, but the majority of players are going to cut out early whether they would have won it all or not

From the data I have (S44-present), the bottom 15:

NameWin PercentageTotal WinsTotal LossesTotal Playings
Punch a Bunch2.74%27173
Temptation2.86%13435
It's In the Bag5.80%46569
Time i$ Money5.80%46569
Hot Seat7.55%44953
Pay the Rent7.89%33538
Gas Money11.54%64652
Stack the Deck14.00%74350
Golden Road15.79%31619
3 Strikes15.79%31619
Triple Play17.65%31417
More or Less18.37%94049
Pathfinder19.30%114657
Switcheroo20.45%93544
That's Too Much!23.62%3097127
Games without a bailout option are in bold. Of those bolded, worth noting that Time is Money, Golden Road, and More or Less still allow for partial wins worth thousands of dollars.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #214 on: April 14, 2020, 04:00:45 PM »
With roughly the same amount of playings, Temptation being won 3 times less than Pay The Rent in the last 5 seasons is mind boggiling to me.

Anyways, on the topic of pricing games percentages, does anyone know if there are specific win percentages that the show looks for while coming up with new games or rule-tweaking? Of course you can't really use blind probability because of the nature of many games other than quickies, but having a rough set point wouldn't hurt when dealing with more involved car games.

Offline newesttpirfan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #215 on: April 15, 2020, 07:39:32 PM »
Does anyone know if there were any one model or one barkers beauty only episodes in the past?

Rachel had an episode last year I believe or maybe 2 years ago whereby I recall she was the only model on duty that day and George had to step in a bit more than usual with his involvement in showing the prizes. I thought it also maybe occurred with Dian in the early 90s but I could be wrong. Any other times where this has occurred?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:44:42 PM by newesttpirfan »

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #216 on: April 19, 2020, 01:39:05 PM »
Are there any clips or even whole episodes online from October 1985 when Gene Wood filled in for a bit after Johnny Olson passed away?

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #218 on: April 19, 2020, 03:11:28 PM »
Thanks for that. Gene was an iconic game show announcer and his voice will always be synonymous with Richard Dawson Family Feud to me, but he was an awkward fit for TPIR. His voice had a more serious tone to it, very cut and dry while Price demanded an announcer with a more booming jovial tone that would convey the excitement of the show.

Online GasMoney09721007

• Outside in Line
« Reply #219 on: April 20, 2020, 04:39:15 PM »
Years ago I read the story of Todd's Dot. As the story goes a contestant named Todd was playing Check Game and like many other contestants was confused on how to play. Supposedly he tried to write on one of the displays and punctured a small hole in it, leaving a tiny mark known as Todd's Dot which remained on the game for many years afterwards. My question is, did this really happen or was it an urban legend? If it is true does anyone know the airdate?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #220 on: April 20, 2020, 05:15:14 PM »
Years ago I read the story of Todd's Dot. As the story goes a contestant named Todd was playing Check Game and like many other contestants was confused on how to play. Supposedly he tried to write on one of the displays and punctured a small hole in it, leaving a tiny mark known as Todd's Dot which remained on the game for many years afterwards. My question is, did this really happen or was it an urban legend? If it is true does anyone know the airdate?
I don't know if he actually punctured the display (I haven't watched the episode myself), but Timothy did apparently write on th readout. Airdate was October 6, 1997 (episode #0471K).

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #221 on: April 20, 2020, 06:51:26 PM »
This was one of the first episodes I remember watching as a child, from my memory, the dot was definitely visible, but did not damage the display, and was gone the next playing.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #222 on: April 20, 2020, 09:20:39 PM »
I want to say it was still visible on the next playing before they managed to get it cleaned off.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #223 on: April 20, 2020, 11:07:39 PM »
I want to say it was still visible on the next playing before they managed to get it cleaned off.

According to tpirstats.com the next playing was 10/24/97. That episode is on YouTube (10/6/97, the date of the playing in question, is not, btw). I just watched the Check Game segment, and there does not seem to be any mark or dot on the display, though that may be due to the poor tape quality.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #224 on: April 21, 2020, 10:50:08 PM »

Ok, I couldn’t figure out how to post pics here, so hopefully this link will work:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/yR5vrr0

And I’m trying to find the playing where Bob mentions Timothy’s dot again. I remember he calls it “Tim’s spot” on that episode, and if my memory isn’t failing me, he says they replaced “the entire cover” for that top display.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:55:49 PM by temptation1979ga »