Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 257699 times)

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #225 on: April 21, 2020, 10:52:07 PM »
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #226 on: April 21, 2020, 10:56:41 PM »
Thank you for fixing that.  :-)

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #227 on: April 21, 2020, 11:25:16 PM »
Sorry for posting separately, but it was too late to edit. It’s not until the December 3 episode where Bob mentions the Timothy’s dot incident again. He asks the audience if anyone saw the episode where that happened, then he says “I told Tim it would be preserved forever, but evidently they’ve either put a new cover on or they’ve washed it.”

Like Steve mentioned, I could have sworn it was visible on at least one subsequent playing, but I checked all of them and I couldn’t see it on good quality videos.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2020, 12:24:28 AM »
Not sure how to word this, but here goes... the price tags used in Double Prices, Most Expensive, 1 Right Price, etc...  I know that when the show started in '72, those tags looked as though the numbers and the dollar signs were stuck onto the surface of the tag (almost like putting magnets on a refrigerator door, is about the best way I can describe it). At some later date (I'm assuming late 80s or early 90s), that changed to the text being printed directly onto the tag itself. Do we know when that element changed?

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #229 on: April 26, 2020, 06:34:57 PM »
What was the reason for the absence of General Motors vehicles from the show for most of 1993 to around 1995? Was it a similar reason to why they no longer offered foreign automobiles after 1992?

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2020, 01:12:05 PM »
How many times (if it’s ever happened) has Plinko ever ended up being a complete loss, meaning the contestant gets all four prizes wrong, doesn’t win a single extra chip, and the one chip they are given lands on zero? I gotta think it’s happened at least once, right?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #231 on: May 05, 2020, 01:54:30 PM »
I gotta think it’s happened at least once, right?
I know for a fact it's happened at least once with Drew.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #232 on: May 05, 2020, 02:05:52 PM »
I know for a fact it's happened at least once with Drew.

I know for a fact it's happened at least twice with Drew. Jefferying might have happened twice in the same sesson.

Wayo had clips of both at one point.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #233 on: May 05, 2020, 02:13:44 PM »
First one was in Season 37 (EDIT: Season 38--misremembered), and the setup was absolutely brutal. All four SPs had an obvious "right" looking answer that turned out to be wrong. This playing should be studied in textbooks as how NOT to set up Plinko.

The second one, in Season 39, was still heartbreaking, but at least the setups were a little more fair. Still clearly a budget mode setup, but not obviously intended to be a wipeout.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 02:17:29 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #234 on: May 05, 2020, 05:01:41 PM »
How is the so-called "flimsy paper" placed over the holes in Punch a Bunch?

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #235 on: May 05, 2020, 10:47:47 PM »
How is the so-called "flimsy paper" placed over the holes in Punch a Bunch?

The coverings are circles, a little larger than the holes. Each hole is a tube, similar to a big PVC pipe (or maybe each one actually is a modified piece of PVC pipe, I'm not sure), snugly fit inside its own "track." The tube can be pulled all the way out from the back of the board. Once the tube is out, a covering is placed over the front end. Then the tube and covering are pushed back in. The "track" holds the covering in place, allowing it to be punctured without going anywhere.

It's something of an inexact science to center the covering over the end of the tube and then slide it in so the dollar sign is perfectly vertical, which is why the dollar signs aren't completely uniform on the board.

Here's a picture from when the board received special coverings for a 2008 prime time special. You can see a bunch of open holes from where the daytime coverings were removed. On the ground, you can see the shape the round coverings take after they've been scrunched into place.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #236 on: May 06, 2020, 01:51:53 AM »
Approximately how many times was the Do-It-Yourself showcase format used during the '70s>

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #237 on: May 12, 2020, 01:31:47 PM »
I may be off the mark here, but I often sense there’s a fair bit of disdain on this forum for trips being offered as prizes. Is there a reason why people here hate the trips so much?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #238 on: May 12, 2020, 09:23:47 PM »
I don't think it's the trips themselves that's the issue for people, it's how many are offered each episode. Playing more than one pricing game for a trip is excessive, let alone that plus a trip in one even both Showcases.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #239 on: May 12, 2020, 10:31:49 PM »
I guess I could see that, my issue with the trips is that they’re kind of hit and miss. Some of the trips to out of the way places like many of the Asian countries aren’t really that appealing to me, and a trip to go skiing or spend a week in some remote location in New England sounds like hell to me. They aren’t all awful, but I would bet the trips are probably the prizes most frequently rejected by the winners either due to an inability to get away from work or life, or a total lack of interest in the destination.