Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 254799 times)

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2020, 01:12:17 AM »
In fact, Pick-A-Number was played just 2 times on seasons 27 and 28, 3 on season 29, 4 on season 30, 5 on seasons 31 to 33 , 8 on season 34, and 7 on Bob's final season. Maybe it was just because they focus on the newer games on that era? I've never heard any comments from The Dob about that.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #271 on: May 30, 2020, 09:33:11 PM »
I recall Roger in a Q&A he did for the site years ago saying that Pick a Number was played less than other 1-prize games because it took longer to play, and because it was used as a replacement for other games when there was an issue and it couldn't be played.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #272 on: June 02, 2020, 08:38:17 AM »
When in season 6 did the perfect bid bonus debuted?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #273 on: June 08, 2020, 01:32:06 AM »
I recall Roger in a Q&A he did for the site years ago saying that Pick a Number was played less than other 1-prize games because it took longer to play, and because it was used as a replacement for other games when there was an issue and it couldn't be played.

Pick a Number took longer to play? I really can't believe that.....how much time can a game like that eat up vs say Double Prices?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #274 on: June 08, 2020, 02:37:39 PM »
Roger didn't even like Pick-a-Number.  I'm pretty sure the reason he didn't play it very often was just, really, why play Pick-a-Number when you could play anything else?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #275 on: June 08, 2020, 11:01:01 PM »
Timings sometimes changed over the years, so I'm not 100% positive about this, but I'm pretty sure that in Roger's timings, Pick a Number was the same length as Coming or Going, Flip Flop, Side by Side, and Squeeze Play. And all of those are more fun to watch than Pick a Number.

Double Prices stands alone as the shortest-timed game.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #276 on: June 09, 2020, 10:56:34 PM »
So either I misremembered him saying the game taking longer to play was the reason, or he did say that just to give a reason other than "because I don't like it."

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #277 on: June 10, 2020, 01:39:28 PM »
When in season 6 did the perfect bid bonus debuted?

Actually that debuted in Season 5, by May 23, 1977 it was in place, however the exact date may be uncertain due to some episodes having fur coats in them.

Offline DylanBe

• In the Audience
« Reply #278 on: June 14, 2020, 04:28:10 PM »
I apologize if I sound really stupid saying this, but what exactly does FFBC stand for? I know it's used for people who stay in "Contestant's Row" the entire show, but I could never figure out what exactly it stood for.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #279 on: June 14, 2020, 04:35:04 PM »
I apologize if I sound really stupid saying this, but what exactly does FFBC stand for? I know it's used for people who stay in "Contestant's Row" the entire show, but I could never figure out what exactly it stood for.

First Four Breakfast Club.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #280 on: June 15, 2020, 04:18:25 AM »
What's the significance of the "Breakfast Club" part of that?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #281 on: June 15, 2020, 05:05:56 AM »
Probably the fact that the show airs in the morning, when most people are having breakfast.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #282 on: June 15, 2020, 07:21:19 AM »
Just thinking of this watching a clip of a DSW win from the late 70's/early 80's....is it possible to know or at least have a rough estimate of how many DSW's the show has had in its' entire history? Or for that matter, how many DOB's? Might be a long shot to figure out, but was curious to ask.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #283 on: June 15, 2020, 02:58:42 PM »

Honestly, I always chalked it up to Capitano doing something weird.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #284 on: June 15, 2020, 04:17:58 PM »
I always thought the "Breakfast Club" was a reference to the 80s movie of the same name about four kids in weekend detention. I assume Capitano was envisioning the remaining contestants from the opening calldown being sent off to serve punishment for bad bidding.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 04:27:01 PM by actual_retail_tice »