Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 257810 times)

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #300 on: June 30, 2020, 08:14:36 AM »
Just the fonts on the displays.

Offline wheelfan1991

• "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #301 on: July 14, 2020, 05:16:03 PM »
Hopefully these two qualify as easy questions:

1) When did they start using the "vamp" of the Family Feud theme for car reveals? I'm guessing it started around '77 or '78 and went on it to the early 80s, maybe '83? (Honestly, it's my favorite car theme next to Big Banana.)

2) When did they start showing live shots and shots of previous episodes on the TVs that were prizes? I know that the early projection TVs used a green screen effect to show the contestant's face. Do they even show those shots anymore? I don't watch modern-day Price, and I've only seen them use some variation of the show's logo or the $.

Thanks, everyone!
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline newesttpirfan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #302 on: July 15, 2020, 02:56:58 PM »
When did they stop doing the "and to the winner of this goes a supply of" plug?? And why did they stop? I seem to recall them still doing this into 2009 right?

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #303 on: July 15, 2020, 03:20:57 PM »
...They still kind of do it, in a limited form? 9 times out of 10 it's just an Eggland's Best award, with the most recent one being 3/27/2020. They've also done an Ancestry DNA kit and Farkle board game in the past few season.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #304 on: July 25, 2020, 10:29:10 AM »
Has there been any known playing of Punch-A-Bunch lost by getting no SP right?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #305 on: July 25, 2020, 11:22:44 AM »
Not to my knowledge. Tpirstats.com says there were no occurrences of that from S29-47, and I don't recall any in S48. If there was one prior to S29 though, I wouldn't know.

My guess as to why that is, is because Punchy is set up to guarantee one punch, i.e. there's always a gimme SP, one so easy it would be hard not to blow it.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #306 on: July 26, 2020, 12:09:47 AM »
Not to my knowledge. Tpirstats.com says there were no occurrences of that from S29-47, and I don't recall any in S48. If there was one prior to S29 though, I wouldn't know.

My guess as to why that is, is because Punchy is set up to guarantee one punch, i.e. there's always a gimme SP, one so easy it would be hard not to blow it.

Has there ever been a near wipeout I wonder? Ie: One where the first 3 prizes get missed, and they have to get the last one to get even one punch? Or is the game generally setup to avoid even that possibility?

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #307 on: July 26, 2020, 12:37:28 AM »
Has there been any known playing of Punch-A-Bunch lost by getting no SP right?

According to Roger's notepads, it's happened exactly once, all the way back in season seven.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #308 on: July 26, 2020, 12:38:42 AM »
Thanks for the info Scott!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #309 on: July 26, 2020, 12:42:21 AM »
According to Roger's notepads, it's happened exactly once, all the way back in season seven.

Oh wow. I have to imagine that was on a very early playing since it debuted that season......and before they really established a system to best avoid that happening (perhaps that playing was even the impetus for it).

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #310 on: July 28, 2020, 05:16:49 AM »
In Magic #, would it be considered a win if the cpntestant set the number at the exact price of one of the two prizes?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #311 on: July 28, 2020, 07:55:36 AM »
Yes, it's considered a win. Would be pretty difficult to say otherwise with that skill (or luck)!

"Well you guessed the price of one of the prizes exactly, which is the whole point of the show, but you were supposed to get between the two prices, so too bad for you."
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 08:05:32 AM by tpir04 »

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #312 on: August 22, 2020, 07:15:33 PM »
When did Pass the Buck switch from Velcro strips to the thin slots we have now?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #313 on: August 22, 2020, 08:00:06 PM »
When did Pass the Buck switch from Velcro strips to the thin slots we have now?

It was in the fall of Season 37.  On one of the first playings that year (I can't remember which, since shows were both airing and taping out of order), one of the numbers got knocked loose by the Race Game Curtain while the game was being revealed, so they redid the board to have them resting on shelves.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #314 on: August 23, 2020, 12:28:56 AM »
It was in the fall of Season 37.  On one of the first playings that year (I can't remember which, since shows were both airing and taping out of order), one of the numbers got knocked loose by the Race Game Curtain while the game was being revealed, so they redid the board to have them resting on shelves.
Did the show stop tape when that happened and reset the board and reshot the reveal or did the playing continue with an amount revealed?