Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 254689 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #315 on: August 23, 2020, 12:50:01 AM »
Did the show stop tape when that happened and reset the board and reshot the reveal or did the playing continue with an amount revealed?

In typical Season 37 fashion, it was handled really stupidly.  Drew just declared that the contestant already "had" the cash amount that got revealed as though it had been a pick and then proceeded with the game like nothing had happened.  She ended up losing it to a Lose Everything.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #316 on: August 23, 2020, 01:44:42 AM »
In typical Season 37 fashion, it was handled really stupidly.  Drew just declared that the contestant already "had" the cash amount that got revealed as though it had been a pick and then proceeded with the game like nothing had happened.  She ended up losing it to a Lose Everything.

He also, more unfairly, never gave her the option to take that money before making a second pick and losing it in turn when she did. Declaring they had it/making it an automatic pick isn't bad necessarily, and could see Bob doing the same thing actually in that situation. But what I couldn't ever imagine him doing, is letting the game proceed normally without allowing the contestant the chance to take that money before playing on. That was the worst part of this to me.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #317 on: August 23, 2020, 08:37:44 AM »
I would've just awarded the $5k for her to keep regardless of if a Lose Everything was picked.

Say the number that got knocked loose was the car. What do you suppose would've happened in that case? I couldn't see them giving her the car outright and scrapping the rest of the game, but maybe there's an S&P problem otherwise, and even if there wasn't, being S37, who knows.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #318 on: August 23, 2020, 01:20:19 PM »
He also, more unfairly, never gave her the option to take that money before making a second pick and losing it in turn when she did. Declaring they had it/making it an automatic pick isn't bad necessarily, and could see Bob doing the same thing actually in that situation. But what I couldn't ever imagine him doing, is letting the game proceed normally without allowing the contestant the chance to take that money before playing on. That was the worst part of this to me.

What else could they have done?

They could stop tape, get somebody from S&P backstage ASAP, and reshuffle the numbers. Gameplay-wise, that’s probably the best decision, but that has its own tradeoffs, and I don’t think they would consider it unless it was the car that got revealed.

They could just play the game normally and let the contestant decide whether to pick the cash amount or not, but that leaves you with the potentially awkward scenario where the contestant decides to take the already revealed “sure thing” on their last pick instead of trying to find the car.

IMO giving her the option to bail with the cash amount before making an actual “pick” would be even less fair—every other contestant has to use one of their picks before they’re eligible to win something. Allowing her to quit right off the bat would essentially give her four picks instead of three.

(IIRC she won three picks, and won the car on her last pick)
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #319 on: August 23, 2020, 01:55:19 PM »
They could just play the game normally and let the contestant decide whether to pick the cash amount or not, but that leaves you with the potentially awkward scenario where the contestant decides to take the already revealed “sure thing” on their last pick instead of trying to find the car.

A good host finds a way to make this work.

"Now, we know where the $5,000 is, but the car's still up there, too...and so are $1,000 and another Lose Everything.  You can try for the car, or you can take that one you already know is safe."
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #320 on: August 23, 2020, 04:58:53 PM »
A good host finds a way to make this work.

"Now, we know where the $5,000 is, but the car's still up there, too...and so are $1,000 and another Lose Everything.  You can try for the car, or you can take that one you already know is safe."

I can still see Bob giving them an extra turn too if it was kept as was (just allowing the bailout option) so as not to punish them for a mistake they made. Like what if they coulda got the car on the 3rd pick as they had here? Remember, you gotta favor the contestant in situations like this, something they didn't do here exactly.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #321 on: August 23, 2020, 05:18:49 PM »
Looked it up, to make sure.

http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,9160.0.html

They had $3,000 potentially added to their first pick, they got to use all three picks, and they only had to choose from five unrevealed numbers instead of six. That doesn’t punish the contestant in the slightest, it benefits them.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #322 on: August 23, 2020, 06:20:49 PM »
Looked it up, to make sure.

http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,9160.0.html

They had $3,000 potentially added to their first pick, they got to use all three picks, and they only had to choose from five unrevealed numbers instead of six. That doesn’t punish the contestant in the slightest, it benefits them.

Except, the chances of lose everythings increased, including risking that $3,000 (which they did indeed lose). That shoudn't have happened.

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #323 on: August 23, 2020, 06:50:35 PM »
The expected value increased, and that's what truly benefits the contestant, not the chances of picking a Lose Everything with one non-car slot removed.

I'm in the camp that they should have just reshuffled the board, but this was 12 years ago? And they still won the car?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 06:53:13 PM by TPIRfan#9821 »
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #324 on: August 23, 2020, 07:55:34 PM »
I find it hilarious that Bonkers, played right before,  also had an issue with the reveal. No wonder some people at the time were saying Drew and co. drove Price into the ground.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #325 on: August 23, 2020, 08:34:03 PM »
They should've covered the spot back up and let the contestant decide if they wanted to pick it or not. This gives the most advantage to the contestant; they now have only 5 spots to try to find the car instead of 6, and if they win the car on the first or second pick, they can then pick #3 to get $3,000 in addition to the car. And if the contestant just wants the $3,000, they could just pick #3 and walk away.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #326 on: August 24, 2020, 10:15:16 PM »
Has there been any playing with a line on Double Cross having two of the same number next to each other?

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #327 on: August 25, 2020, 12:34:51 AM »
Yes. The Season 44's 2010s Decade show had a trip to Alaska worth $4,966.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #328 on: August 27, 2020, 02:05:24 AM »
Why were the blue and green spaces in contestants’ row swapped? Also, why did the orange space change to yellow?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #329 on: August 27, 2020, 05:10:31 PM »
Not sure about the blue and green swap, but as for orange becoming yellow the curtain behind the audience changed from orange to yellow sometime before the change (I forget if it was during season 30 or 31) so they finally changed the podium color to match later on.