Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 258588 times)

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #345 on: October 25, 2020, 04:34:48 PM »
Here's one I've been wondering lately: When car plugs were truncated around 34 in the time crunch, what was actually included in "standard equipment"?
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #346 on: October 26, 2020, 01:39:26 AM »
Here's one I've been wondering lately: When car plugs were truncated around 34 in the time crunch, what was actually included in "standard equipment"?

Whatever you'd get with the car if you purchased the least expensive build that came with no options. Naturally, it varied from model to model -- for example, if a given model of car only came with automatic transmission, then that was part of "standard equipment." But if the car could be purchased with either manual or automatic transmission, then manual would be the "standard."
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline allnewtpir94

• In the Audience
« Reply #347 on: December 03, 2020, 12:24:14 AM »
I read something, and I want verification from those who would know. If there's a tie in the Showcase, does each player win their own showcase, and a tie within $250 gives the both of them everything?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #348 on: December 03, 2020, 12:33:14 AM »
I read something, and I want verification from those who would know. If there's a tie in the Showcase, does each player win their own showcase, and a tie within $250 gives the both of them everything?

Absolutely, yes.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline allnewtpir94

• In the Audience
« Reply #349 on: December 03, 2020, 03:12:28 AM »
Absolutely, yes.

Okay that sounds awesome.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #350 on: December 03, 2020, 09:24:36 AM »
Absolutely, yes.

Straight from the old CBS FAQ section.  Might still be there for all I know.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #351 on: December 03, 2020, 10:10:38 AM »
What happens if both showcase bids are under $250 and are off by the same amount? They each win both showcases, and is referred to as a "Double Double Showcase Showcase Win Win."

I'll see myself out.

Offline allnewtpir94

• In the Audience
« Reply #352 on: December 03, 2020, 07:13:23 PM »
What happens if both showcase bids are under $250 and are off by the same amount? They each win both showcases, and is referred to as a "Double Double Showcase Showcase Win Win."

I'll see myself out.

In-N-Out gives them a year of Double-Doubles.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #353 on: December 03, 2020, 10:17:17 PM »

I'll see myself out.

And the extra prizes will be sponsored by Wawa and Little Ceasers (you know, Pizza! Pizza!) ;)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #354 on: December 04, 2020, 02:52:02 PM »
Seeing Bullseye 76 played a few different times now since the 24/7 channel launch, I started to wonder.....how was/is the Hidden Bullseye placement determined? Just a random pick? Or was/is it something more calculated?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #355 on: December 04, 2020, 03:49:18 PM »
Probably something more calculated.

For most games, if something “random” is not obviously randomly generated onstage (Plinko chips dropping, 3 Strikes draws, etc), it’s probably not random and placed with a purpose. Placement of Punch a Bunch prize slips, Spelling Bee & Pass the Buck cards, etc. are all intentional.

If I had to guess, I would assume they want to put it behind one of the least expensive products when they want a win (since they're more obvious and more likely to be picked), and behind an ambiguous or "more expensive than it looks" product if they want a loss (since it's less likely to be picked and more likely to be overpriced).

But this is just gut feeling after watching a few episodes from the 80's, I'm definitely no expert on this era.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #356 on: December 05, 2020, 05:10:40 AM »
This not a question, but something I wanted to add here for reference looking for it, as I thought it possibly occurred in Season 11 and would come up sooner than later on the 24/7 channel. Using all available YouTube episodes from Season 11 through to the 8/25 episode or the next to last show of the year, and then viewing back the opening to the Season 12 premiere as well the following week, it stands to reason that said premiere was the debut of the higher pitched version of the classic theme that would come to mark the rest of the show's run under Barker's watch. So if anyone was curious about that or wanted to make a note of it in the FAQ for posterity, there you go. :-) I thought maybe it got changed mid-season somewhere and pinpointing the transition woulda been tougher, but..makes more sense it woulda changed right at start of Season 12 instead.

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #357 on: December 07, 2020, 09:30:02 PM »
This not a question, but something I wanted to add here for reference looking for it, as I thought it possibly occurred in Season 11 and would come up sooner than later on the 24/7 channel. Using all available YouTube episodes from Season 11 through to the 8/25 episode or the next to last show of the year, and then viewing back the opening to the Season 12 premiere as well the following week, it stands to reason that said premiere was the debut of the higher pitched version of the classic theme that would come to mark the rest of the show's run under Barker's watch. So if anyone was curious about that or wanted to make a note of it in the FAQ for posterity, there you go. :-) I thought maybe it got changed mid-season somewhere and pinpointing the transition woulda been tougher, but..makes more sense it woulda changed right at start of Season 12 instead.

There is no difference to note here. It's the same theme, maybe it was retransferred onto a new tape cartridge. The edit in the theme did change slightly for a few years in the mid-to-late 80s, but that's not enough of a change to note.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #358 on: December 07, 2020, 11:16:33 PM »
There is no difference to note here. It's the same theme, maybe it was retransferred onto a new tape cartridge. The edit in the theme did change slightly for a few years in the mid-to-late 80s, but that's not enough of a change to note.
Speaking of this just got me thinking... I'd heard that supposedly there was a re-record of the main theme (unused on the show) from the 1990s, that was identical to the 1972 original, except for being in stereo (AFAIK all the "classic" music packages were recorded in mono). Is this correct? And if so, is this re-recording anywhere online?

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #359 on: December 08, 2020, 01:07:22 AM »
Speaking of this just got me thinking... I'd heard that supposedly there was a re-record of the main theme (unused on the show) from the 1990s, that was identical to the 1972 original, except for being in stereo (AFAIK all the "classic" music packages were recorded in mono). Is this correct? And if so, is this re-recording anywhere online?
No. And no.