Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 257447 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #525 on: March 10, 2022, 06:35:06 PM »
Not sure why the eye roll for a legitimate question, I’ve wondered myself.

I’ve noticed (and this is without any sources, just observing), that when the target price ends in .50, there is almost always (unless it’s a special playing they want won), an item that’s 51 cents less than that. So a $4.99 item for a $5.50 target, for example. Maybe because it may be easier to find items that end in .99, this is why they want x.50 targets?
To be totally honest, it really doesn't matter what the target price is...

If you number each grocery item in the game from 1 to 6, with 1 the least expensive, and 6 the most expensive, as long as you have a target price that is higher than 4, but lower than 5, it doesn't matter where that price falls within that range, the game will still play out just the same.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #526 on: March 10, 2022, 08:22:54 PM »
In the Barker Era, the target prices had a good variety to them, but today, [rounding to the nearest 50 cents] makes the game slightly less interesting.

The eyeroll was to something the Barker era did "better" that is currently "worse" by comparison.

I do think Grand Game is less interesting nowadays because we have several cash games that offer more than $10k, but again, that number doesn't really matter when this game is just a 2-4 Hi-Lo.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #527 on: March 10, 2022, 08:32:15 PM »
I’m perfectly okay with the cash prize as is - Grand Game’s $10,000 is won considerably more than $25,000 on Punch, $16,000 on Bag, $20,000 on Hot Seat, etc.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #528 on: March 10, 2022, 10:54:36 PM »
Perhaps better questions In relation to the target price in Grand Game would be as follows...
-What is the lowest value used? ($1.09, seen on the November 10, 1980 episode, is the lowest I have found thus far.)
-When did it cease ending in numbers other than 5 or 0? (A $1.33 value was utilized on the January 20, 1986 episode, thereby limiting this change to no earlier than the second half of Season 14.)
-When did it switch to solely ending in .00 or .50? (One of $2.10 was utilized on the April 23, 1990 episode, thereby limiting this change to no earlier than the last portion of Season 18.)

To that point, does anyone know if a Grand Game target price that was larger than $9.99?
Indeed there were, and at least three times it was very very much higher than $9.99 -- the Doug Davidson series, which utilized small prizes rather than grocery products, had target prices which included $60, $120, and $125. In these instances, cents were not included on the target price display nor in the values of the small prizes.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 10:58:19 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #529 on: March 10, 2022, 11:05:26 PM »
Checking the stats site, October 23 and November 4, 2014, had targets of $4.25 and $4.75, respectively. After that, it’s been all x.50 or x.00.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #530 on: March 13, 2022, 07:23:04 PM »
Are the pair of coins (courtesy of https://allaboutpins.com/blog/price-is-right-challenge-coins-welcome-drew-carey-as-a-host) seen at the bottom of this image still the actual Drew Dollars used until today in the Balance Game? If so, I think that it's very cool that they just modified the design of the Barker Dollar to be used for Drew's tenure as host and to somewhat retain continuity regarding the design.

As someone with an interest in Numismatics (hence my user name), I always wondered what the Barker Dollars looked like.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #531 on: March 13, 2022, 08:37:07 PM »
Why are “the Big Three” played less today than they’ve ever been played? The show can’t be on “budget mode” for a decade.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #532 on: March 13, 2022, 09:20:00 PM »
Why are “the Big Three” played less today than they’ve ever been played? The show can’t be on “budget mode” for a decade.
They've probably fallen into a habit of only scheduling them to come up during a sweeps week/gimmick event. Not sure that's what you'd call a "reason", though.

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #533 on: March 14, 2022, 11:02:00 PM »
Half-serious and half-joking question here: has Pathfinder ever been played for a Nissan Pathfinder?

I had also always wondered if Hole in One was played for a Volkswagen Golf! I'm hoping someday it is.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #534 on: March 14, 2022, 11:54:55 PM »
This may seem random, but I thought of it after seeing one of today's episodes of Classic Concentration on Buzzr... I know that TPIR has had wheelchair-bound contestants before... my question is, if they were to win their way to the Showcases, how would their presence affect the staging? I'm assuming that the podium would obstruct, if not outright block, their view if they sat behind it.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #535 on: March 15, 2022, 03:07:59 AM »
The director/producer would make the call on how to stage it, but a few options:
1) Set the contestant’s wheelchair on two apple boxes
2) Have the contestant to the side of the podium rather than behind it
3) Keep both contestants standing on the stage, but move them forward and set both showcase podiums on the step below
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #536 on: March 15, 2022, 01:14:20 PM »
It's easy to forget with the digital displays these days there really is no trouble just squeezing an extra digit onto the readouts. I imagine bidding 6 or 7 digits on a showcase can be done these days with relative ease. Not that I'd recommend doing that.

To be fair, contestants don’t need to bid six digits. We’ve had plenty of people win their showcase and finish with over $100,000, and the display handled it just fine. I loved the original eggcrate display, but it felt weird for it to only show the difference of “$239” after a DSW led to the biggest win in daytime history.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #537 on: March 15, 2022, 11:21:32 PM »
I know that TPIR has had wheelchair-bound contestants before... my question is, if they were to win their way to the Showcases, how would their presence affect the staging?

This has happened at least once before (although I can't remember the year). The contestant in a wheelchair was the top winner, so they were positioned to the camera-right side of the display. Presumably, a runner-up would be positioned directly camera-left of their display.

That staging may not have been achievable prior to season 38, but there's enough room up there now to pull it off.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Online PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #538 on: March 21, 2022, 07:19:08 PM »
In 10 Chances, has there ever been a repeated digit as a number choice?  I can’t recall ever seeing a playing myself that had one.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
« Reply #539 on: March 29, 2022, 09:47:42 AM »
I was watching a 1989 episode and in Squeeze Play's trip presentation, they used 1 Right Price stands to hold some photos that the camera later zoomed in on:

(Sorry for the poor quality, it's a rough VHS recording.)

I see now this is noted in this site's Timeline. Was this sort of presentation used often? How often were pricing game props ever used for prize presentations? (The back-side of the Five Price Tags lights notwithstanding.)