Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 254772 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #570 on: August 01, 2022, 06:40:47 PM »
Since the rats in Rat Race are selected at random, and we've seen that there's no guarantee that any given rat will finish (or even start), isn't it theoretically possible that all five rats fail to finish the race? If so, does anybody know what would happen in that case?

I would have to think that if something like that happened, they'd just edit it out and redo the race.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline CaptainPrice

• In the Audience
« Reply #571 on: August 01, 2022, 10:54:47 PM »
I noticed wasn't cliffhangers played much in season's 18 and 19 after looking at the stats.  I find that to be odd since Cliffhangers is a popular game next to Plinko.

If I had to guess, it's probably the same reason why Magic # was mostly absent in Season 33. Same with Double Prices' record low playings, also in Season 19 - the staff decided it was time for a break. (In Double Price's case, it was probably because of Gallery Game)

This observation I'm making's just speculation, and may not be the reason why both games had abnormally low playings in Season 19.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #572 on: August 01, 2022, 11:33:19 PM »
I would have to think that if something like that happened, they'd just edit it out and redo the race.

At one point I wondered “what if three of the rats failed to finish, but the contestant picked the two that did? Would the contestant really be happy ‘giving up’ a car and a large prize for a chance at a dinky third prize?”

Scott responded there were “what if” provisions in the Rat Race rules that fairly resolved situations like those, although the specifics were fuzzy.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline FDRfan

• In the Audience
« Reply #573 on: August 06, 2022, 04:50:49 AM »
This question might be dumb to ask, but I was just wondering when TPIR added those white lights to the colored curtains back in the early 90s.

Personal opinion I thought those  lights didn't mesh well with curtains.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #574 on: August 06, 2022, 09:06:54 AM »
Actually, TPIR has had several different sets of lights behind the curtains over the years. The first lights were added in January 1985, but were more subtle compared to future iterations. These lights disappeared in late 1987 or early 1988 when the curved curtains (along with an extra ninth green curtain) arrived, but reappeared again in the spring of 1990 with new, brighter white lights. Then came the short-lived silver curtains used for the 25th anniversary, with its own set of lights. Because these extra lights were hot, it was important to turn them off after taping, and when the staff forgot to do so, the curtains got damaged, so the previous curtains returned. As the CBS Eye curtains were being phased out for more curtains (originally red-green-blue-yellow), more lights were added around the audience. When Drew became the host, the curtains/lights were replaced again.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline actpir

• Outside in Line
« Reply #575 on: August 19, 2022, 07:01:00 PM »
El Skunko is a colloquial term we use to describe an episode of 'The Price is Right' where none of the pricing games are won and there is a double overbid in the Showcase.

Do partial wins avoid 'El Skunko', even if a partial win is the only pricing game 'win' for an episode? (e.g., someone wins cash instead of the car on Let 'Em Roll, someone takes the prizes instead of going for the car on Temptation, contestant wins the medium prize on Any Number, etc.)

First, Wheel of Fortune (Season 37, 08/03/2020) - Now, will I get the chance to "Come on Down"?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #576 on: August 19, 2022, 07:23:27 PM »
Do partial wins avoid 'El Skunko', even if a partial win is the only pricing game 'win' for an episode? (e.g., someone wins cash instead of the car on Let 'Em Roll, someone takes the prizes instead of going for the car on Temptation, contestant wins the medium prize on Any Number, etc.)
As far as I'm concerned (and likely in the show's eyes), yes. To whoever's doing the recaps for the Barker Era episodes on the Discord, no.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #577 on: August 19, 2022, 11:04:52 PM »
As far as I'm concerned (and likely in the show's eyes), yes.

I don't think the show really pays attention to this -- it's something tracked entirely by the fan community.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #578 on: August 20, 2022, 12:50:17 AM »
^Maybe not nowadays, but in the Barker Era shows, they did keep a running count of shows where all six games were lost, similar to how they kept track of when all six games were won.

Several episodes have Bob note that there were N number of times a perfect show happened or X number of shows everything was lost going into game six to try to make a win more impactful.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #579 on: August 20, 2022, 02:02:10 AM »
^Maybe not nowadays, but in the Barker Era shows, they did keep a running count of shows where all six games were lost, similar to how they kept track of when all six games were won.

Several episodes have Bob note that there were N number of times a perfect show happened or X number of shows everything was lost going into game six to try to make a win more impactful.

Do we know how accurate Bob’s declarations were?

If the goal is just to build dramatic tension going into game six, you could accomplish the same thing with either a rough estimate or just pulling a number out of your butt (“we haven’t had six winners from the green podium since 1978”)

It’s not like they expected the fans (pre YouTube, at least) would have detailed enough information about the show to be able to call them out on it.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #580 on: August 20, 2022, 04:29:12 AM »
Do we know how accurate Bob’s declarations were?
Depends on what he was declaring... not sure if I could find it now, but I seem to recall a GSN promo for TPIR that outright called Bob out on a bunkum declaration from him (IIRC it had to do with him claiming that a given episode was the first time he remembered two contestants making the same Showcase bid... with them actually showing a clip from an earlier episode of the same thing happening).

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #581 on: August 20, 2022, 10:58:11 AM »
I seem to recall a GSN promo for TPIR that outright called Bob out on a bunkum declaration from him (IIRC it had to do with him claiming that a given episode was the first time he remembered two contestants making the same Showcase bid... with them actually showing a clip from an earlier episode of the same thing happening).
This is correct. The clips were from 1982 and 1975 respectively (the recording dates were displayed onscreen), with the latter followed by onscreen text to the effect of "Be careful what you say, Bob... Game Show Network is watching."

I do not know which episode the 1982 clip was from, although I believe the recording date placed it in Season 11. The 1975 clip was from this Season 3 episode, though contrary to what the promo suggested was itself not the first instance of identical Showcase bids -- and, indeed, GSN would air (or had aired?) earlier instances such as this one from 1972.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 11:12:46 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #582 on: August 20, 2022, 04:05:52 PM »

I do not know which episode the 1982 clip was from, although I believe the recording date placed it in Season 11.

Should be from 4631D. The Barker Era channel has decided to continue to prop up Bob's lie.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #583 on: August 20, 2022, 10:17:02 PM »

Yes, but I'm referring specifically to the circumstance of everything on the show being lost except the IUFBs.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #584 on: August 21, 2022, 01:40:18 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, I have found the promo. The recording dates are listed as July 12, 1982 and March 24, 1975, respectively.

Should be from 4631D.
This is indeed the 1982 episode seen in the promo.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 01:46:23 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.