Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 254588 times)

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #585 on: August 21, 2022, 03:57:01 PM »
Heh, I noted those two exact episodes without ever seeing that bumper in my old drinking game.

(A drink means a sip unless you have to finish it).

"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #586 on: August 22, 2022, 07:20:49 AM »
No disrespect intended to your hard work on the meme above, but I never realized how difficult the TPiR logo font is to read in large chunks of text until now...

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #587 on: August 22, 2022, 09:06:29 AM »
No disrespect intended to your hard work on the meme above, but I never realized how difficult the TPiR logo font is to read in large chunks of text until now...
Probably why they changed the closing credits from the logo font to Handel Gothic before the end of September 1972.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #588 on: September 13, 2022, 12:16:52 AM »
Is there a specific reason why Magic # is always played with a blue carpet in front of the game board?
1,719 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #589 on: September 13, 2022, 07:29:51 PM »
I believe it has something to do with the reflectivity of the angled clear acrylic cover (which I think is angled for reasons of the magic floating effect). If there were just a naked floor in the front of the game, the clear acrylic (I don't know whether it's actually Plexiglas®) would reflect white, which would sort of wash out the image inside of the box. The blue carpet is darker, which allows the viewers to see the floating red ring more clearly.

You can see what happens when someone stands in front of the cover in 1446580722009993217[/tweet]]this video that the show tweeted (jump to about 2:12).

Magic Number is a more impressive build than it first seems. The floating ring is positioned perfectly so the mirror surrounding the price not only reflects the blue at the top of the box, but if the camera is at enough of an angle, it looks like the seams at the back of the box are visible through the ring (see attached photo). But in practice, the cameras are never positioned in such a way to show off that effect.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #590 on: September 13, 2022, 09:39:11 PM »
Thank you, Scott! That is awesome! I really hope they don't retire Magic #; and if they update, I hope they keep the floating effect intact. I've always loved the game based on the set alone.
1,719 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #591 on: September 22, 2022, 09:10:17 AM »
Not sure if this falls in the category of a "simple" question...but...

Did Kyle Aletter end her relationship with Price on a sour note? I feel as if I read somewhere a long time ago that she was mad she didn't get chosen to be a permanent model and had been always relegated to being a sub only. As much as I liked Gina and Chantel, Kyle would have been a fine choice. She was a great model.
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #592 on: September 22, 2022, 09:53:48 AM »
Kyle was definitely a great model.  While it was great that they added a 4th spot which was clinched by Kathleen, I sorta wished that they had done that in the 1980s.

I can't recall that as being confirmed.  Maybe speculation.

I actually brought this up not to long ago.  Can't remember if I did so on Discord or elsewhere on the boards; I can't blame her for being upset, but I don't think that would've led to a bad breakup.  It's more probable than not that the show is going to go younger over a 35-year old, and even though she wasn't there for long, Chantel, IMO, was the best available & correct hire.  Nikki would follow pretty much immediately to fill the vacancy.  Eventually they trended toward "younger" and from there, it just wasn't happening.  Sure there were issues with Bob and the models, and I don't think Aletter was part of that.  However, as mentioned when I brought this up, she did work with all the past models that did exit on not so good terms.  I guess it was best not to have her on around the beginning of the millennium as part of an audition to fill the void left from Janice & Kathleen.  Not that it's right, but Bob & Roger and whomever else weren't motivated to bringing in someone that was 40 at the time.

At the time, I was thinking they likely weren't going to part with Day One Janice and Kathleen.  It was just a tough break for Kyle that they went back to 3 models.  This after the classic trio stuck together from the late 70s all the way to the early 90s for the most part.

I'm still saddened that she didn't get the job.  Who knows where that would've led to.  I think she definitely would not be on the show today had it worked out, but it would've been awesome to see her as a true permanent Barker Beauty
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #593 on: September 22, 2022, 11:02:52 AM »
Did Kyle Aletter end her relationship with Price on a sour note? I feel as if I read somewhere a long time ago that she was mad she didn't get chosen to be a permanent model and had been always relegated to being a sub only. As much as I liked Gina and Chantel, Kyle would have been a fine choice. She was a great model.
Kathleen confirms this as true in her book. Apparently on her final run of shows in 1996, Kyle told the staff "if you're not going to make me permanent now, don't call me again when my current deal runs out." (or something to that effect)

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #594 on: September 22, 2022, 11:19:52 AM »
Thank you!! I knew I had read it somewhere; it was indeed Kathleen's book. Which, by the way, is an excellent read if you haven't read it yet.
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #595 on: September 22, 2022, 11:29:21 AM »
Thank you!! I knew I had read it somewhere; it was indeed Kathleen's book. Which, by the way, is an excellent read if you haven't read it yet.

I obviously haven't.  I'm typically not a big fan of autobiographies, but I've heard a ton of great things from Bradley's book.  Too bad about Kyle's run coming to an end due on bad terms but good on her for taking a stand
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #596 on: November 10, 2022, 10:49:35 PM »
What's the absolute latest a taping has ever had to have been canceled? Have they ever had to cancel a taping day of?
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #597 on: November 11, 2022, 03:06:36 AM »
What's the absolute latest a taping has ever had to have been canceled? Have they ever had to cancel a taping day of?

Throughout the years, tapings have occasionally been cancelled on the day of when the host was sick or otherwise incapacitated.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline actpir

• Outside in Line
« Reply #598 on: November 26, 2022, 09:29:07 PM »
Has TPIR started allowing contestants from outside California to be on the show? If so, have there been any non-California contestants?

I know that the application process is essentially open to everyone, meaning anyone (even those outside California) can apply. Do you think they are willing to let those from outside California come to a taping? 

- actpir
First, Wheel of Fortune (Season 37, 08/03/2020) - Now, will I get the chance to "Come on Down"?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #599 on: November 27, 2022, 12:27:26 PM »
Yes. That restriction has been relaxed since Season 50, if not earlier.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."