Author Topic: Newsday: Best game shows of all time  (Read 3229 times)

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Newsday: Best game shows of all time
« on: June 12, 2017, 04:15:20 PM »
Since we need some actual discussion around here...

Long Island-based Newsday recently published a ranking of what they feel are the 25 greatest game shows of all time. The top three are the three longest continuously-running game shows still on television today, Price, Wheel of Fortune, and Jeopardy.

What are your thoughts on this list? Agree with all of them, or disagree with some? Are there some that should be there in place of others? I, for one, think that there's one show on that list that doesn't belong...
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: Newsday: Best game shows of all time
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 04:43:12 PM »
The biggest problems with lists like these are that great game shows from the past like You Don't Say, Video Village and The $64,000 Question are often left out. I've never considered The Gong Show, Love Connection and The Dating Game "pure" game show. And don't get me started on The Weakest Link being on this list!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 05:13:30 PM »
The biggest problems with lists like these are that great game shows from the past like You Don't Say, Video Village and The $64,000 Question are often left out. I've never considered The Gong Show, Love Connection and The Dating Game "pure" game show. And don't get me started on The Weakest Link being on this list!

The $64,000 Question is listed at #23

My total bad. I saw it after I posted.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:26:35 PM by Alfonzo »
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 05:34:34 PM »
The best part about this list? All 25 entries appear on one web page!
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 08:57:25 PM »
Couple of errors: it says that if a contestant on Win Ben Stein's Money fails to give a response in the form of a question twice, they have to wear a dunce cap. Correction: it happens if a contestant does give a response in the form of a question. Also, it says that the Bill Cullen Price Is Right ran from 1956 to 1964. It ran to 1965.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:10:26 PM »
Meh, I wouldn't put Gong Show, Dating Game, Love Connection or You Bet Your Life in there as true "game" shows, but that's the way they're generally defined; so be it.

Deal or no Deal--baffles me how it would make a list. Picking random numbers isn't my cup of tea either.

Name that Tune I'd have had in the top 25, perhaps either Joker's Wild of Tic Tac Dough on the list as well.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 11:09:01 PM »
It's not clear to me how this list was created. Is this Mr. Bubbeo's sole opinion? Did he poll the general public? Did he ask people who work at Newsday?

Here's the most recent list compiled by 48 members of the Game Show Forum back in September.

The Newsday list compares pretty favorably to the fan list:
  • 8 of the top 10 are the same
  • 15 of the top 25 are the same
  • Only 2 are missing from the top 50 (Love Connection and The Dating Game)
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 09:24:42 AM »
Couple of errors: it says that if a contestant on Win Ben Stein's Money fails to give a response in the form of a question twice, they have to wear a dunce cap. Correction: it happens if a contestant does give a response in the form of a question. Also, it says that the Bill Cullen Price Is Right ran from 1956 to 1964. It ran to 1965.
Also, they forgot to mention that Alex Trebek hosted Classic Concentration back in the late 80s. And the Wayne Brady version of LMAD debuted in 2009, one year earlier than the article said.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 01:40:18 PM »
They also left out the Narz Concentration.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 04:11:58 PM »
They also left out the Narz Concentration.

To be completely honest and from a casual fan standpoint, it's understandable.  Compared to how recent Classic Concentration is (and the only show most people know Alex for hosting outside of Jeopardy!) and how iconic the original version was, in comparison the Narz version is quite forgettable.  Not to mention the fact, unless you're old enough to remember, most casual fans haven't even heard of Jack Narz.  Which is a crying shame, but unfortunately true.  The worst part about the Narz version being forgettable to the casual fan, it was Jack's longest running show as well.

Offline GSNSmashFan3

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My game show collection.
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 04:58:34 PM »
^ I'm actually amazed that casual fans can remember Concentration at all due to how ridiculously stubborn NBCUniversal is with allowing reruns of the show. This list definitely deserves credit for including Concentration, The $64,000 Question, and You Bet Your Life, since those shows haven't had the benefit of being heavily reran on cable at some point.
HYO Winnings:
$46,241.21 (Participated in 6 games; on stage 4 times)

I love Clock Game!

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 10:10:31 PM »
To be completely honest and from a casual fan standpoint, it's understandable.  Compared to how recent Classic Concentration is (and the only show most people know Alex for hosting outside of Jeopardy!) and how iconic the original version was, in comparison the Narz version is quite forgettable.  Not to mention the fact, unless you're old enough to remember, most casual fans haven't even heard of Jack Narz.  Which is a crying shame, but unfortunately true.  The worst part about the Narz version being forgettable to the casual fan, it was Jack's longest running show as well.

Very true. I happened to be of the age when the Narz version was "my" version, having not been alive for the earlier version. Technically Trebek's was as well, but thanks to it not airing in Philadelphia, I saw at most a handful of episodes when on vacation (and since our family trips typically were around early July in the NBC era of Wimbledon coverage, it was very few indeed). But I do remember so enjoying Narz's version. Ah well, so it goes.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »
The older ones may also remember that Trebek hosted Double Dare back in the 70s, when his future show was hosted by Art Fleming. As for Jack Narz, I suspect that another reason he is forgotten in many game show circles is because his brother is Tom Kennedy, and would anyone care to remember Tom from anything other than Body Language, Break the Bank or the 80s nighttime TPIR? Probably not.