Author Topic: 7985K - 06/16/17 Recap Thread  (Read 7703 times)

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
7985K - 06/16/17 Recap Thread
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:59:32 AM »
ONE AWAY - L (5:36.80)
SIDE BY SIDE - W (2:49.55)
CLIFF HANGERS - W (3:56.84)
CLOCK GAME - TW (4:32.96)
STACK THE DECK - L (5:10.89)
MOST EXPENSIVE - W (3:02.95)

"TW" stands for "technical win", and I truly believe Clock Game counts as that today. Erica never said the first price, and the game stopped/dinged prematurely. Drew awarded her the prize. As for the second prize, well, you tell me if this can get any closer.

She also went on to win the showcases, so Erica had lots of luck today.

Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: 7985K - 06/16/17 Recap Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 12:13:05 PM »
Dunno if Clock Game should be counted as technical win, but I'm glad it was won. They stopped her so that's their mistake, I think Drew did the right thing there. If anything it was a weird playing on both sides, with the contestant leaping around on prices and somehow managing a last second win. Entertaining gameplay and a nice moment, so well done to Erica.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 05:12:28 PM »
I would imagine since the sound effects are now tied together with the displays, the horn determines the end of timing.  Since it's not a game-breaking call (i.e. Pyramid winner's circle), she's gonna get the last prize anyway.

I would imagine the old "two free guesses" rule still exists?
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 12:07:46 AM »
I think you can count it as a tech win.

While it's not the worst we've seen, her bidding was rather erratic. And even though there was only one option left on the hiking gear, I'm not entirely confident that she would've immediately said $594 after Drew said lower on $595. Even then, it still would've taken her an extra second to get it out and she had no time to spare at the end. I don't think she wins without that extra second the show gave her.

I would imagine the old "two free guesses" rule still exists?
I don't know. Drew messed up during Clock earlier this season and they gave the contestant like six free seconds.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:11:28 AM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 01:50:05 AM »
I've seen worse errors during pricing games.  Like when they forgot to lock the safe in Safe Crackers.  The contestant guessed the price of the small price/combination of the safe wrong yet the door still opened and a bewildered Bob decided on the fly to give the contestant the prizes.  That occurrence (which happened around 1981) proves that this goodwill policy of giving the player a win if any mistake, glitch, or error occurs has been a longstanding policy on the show.  It's not worth the potential backlash from viewers, loss of ratings, and loss of sponsors/advertising revenue if a controversial loss does occur.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 07:43:01 AM »
The problem was not with Drew in this playing of Clock Game.  The problem was, she got to $590, started going up by $1 and for some reason skipped $594.  The sound effects person didn't anticipate that and rang the bell on her next bid after $593, and probably would have done so no matter what she said.  Drew did the right thing in my opinion.  The second prize, she was all over the place.  I have no idea how she didn't manage to confuse Drew and ended up winning at the very last moment.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »
Even then, it still would've taken her an extra second to get it out and she had no time to spare at the end. I don't think she wins without that extra second the show gave her.
I was discussing the gameplay with someone else yesterday and I made the same point. It was entertaining and unusual though.

Offline Champ2399

• Outside in Line
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 03:47:05 PM »
Well, Drew has said in other games - like Time Is Money and Bonkers - that the bell is the "universal game show signal for winner" ... might as well apply to Clock Game also!   :-D

Offline superballfan

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 11:47:54 PM »
What would happen if the clock was a digital readout using 30.0? Would it still influence the outcome of the game?