Author Topic: Jeopardy! Set Question  (Read 921 times)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Jeopardy! Set Question
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:53:27 AM »
Was there any particular reason why the 1996 and 2002 sets were not introduced at the beginning of their respective seasons, but rather eleven and thirteen weeks respectively into them? Were the new ones not ready at the time?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 11:56:54 AM by PatrickRox80 »

Offline SamJ93

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Jeopardy! Set Question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 10:49:32 PM »
I would imagine that, just like TPiR, the breaks in their taping schedule don't coincide with the season calendar.

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 11:41:01 PM »
Maybe they were trying to time it so the first episodes with the new sets coincided with November sweeps? (Just a guess.)

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 11:57:16 AM »
Though I never thought of it until now, this reason makes perfect sense.  Remember the writers' strike back in 1988 when the new series premieres like Roseanne, Coach, Unsolved Mysteries, and Murphy Brown were held off until November??  Having those series debuts during the Nielsen Sweeps, and viewers having seen their first taste of new programming since the previous March could've easily contributed to these series long-running success.  Viewers were starved for new programming after spending 8 months watching repeats, made-for-TV-movies, and political debates (as '88 was an election year).  Jeopardy's strategy could've been just that by debuting the new sets in November....

Offline Ilovepennyante

• In the Audience
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 08:42:30 PM »
I wonder if that was why Wheel didn't debut the new puzzle  board until Feb. 1997.  Maybe it was for sweeps, or it wasn't ready at the start of the 96-97 season?

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 10:28:11 PM »
I wondered about that as well, as the new puzzle board was computerized, and likely took much longer to assemble, operate, and test than the original.  Last week, I saw a full episode of Wheel for the first time in decades.  Having tuned in about a minute or so in, I was surprised to see the split-screen of the players on top of the puzzle board.  I was thinking, "Why are they already in Sudden Death mode?" until I learned that nowadays they have these toss ups to determine control of the wheel, instead of "before the show doing numbers to see who will start" as Pat used to indicate.