Author Topic: FPG 6/16/17 - FINALS RESULTS  (Read 3003 times)

Offline whammy007

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Thank Goodson It's Friday (Prediction Game)
FPG 6/16/17 - FINALS RESULTS
« on: June 17, 2017, 12:27:39 AM »
One last rundown, and it should be a quick one with only four players...

One Away: unanimously chosen, Wayo earns 2 MP, everyone else gets 4 MP
Side by Side: SANDBAG (although Torgo picked it correctly)
Cliff Hangers: only Flerbie had it, he nets 2/4 for it
Clock Game: Kev gets 4 MP, Wayo takes 2 MP
Stack the Deck: both Wayo and Kev get 4 MP
Most Expen$ive: only Kev picked it, he gets 2 MP for it

Before we go to the results, I mentioned Torgo sent picks, so here they are:

He ended up with 4/18 on two games, which would have been good enough only for 4th out of the five lineups submitted. And now, without further ado, your FPG champion and holder of the Goodson-Dobkowitz Cup is...

KEV!

It's a little bit of redemption for Mr. 347, who was knocked out a round short of the finals last season but takes the title here by a comfortable margin. Our defending champ, Wayo, made a valiant effort as the runner-up but Kev just would not be denied.

That brings us to the end of the 2016-17 FPG season, which I'd like to close out with a few remarks, if I may.

I've been involved with FPG for four seasons now (since 2013-14), going from just a random player, to player/unofficial statskeeper, then to player/interim host, and finally to full-time hosting this season. I know Fireball didn't leave the game on the best of terms, and I don't intend to dwell on that much more than this brief mention, but I do want to express my appreciation to him for inviting me to assist him with the game back that long time ago.

Hosting the FPG is a labor of love which I have been happy to sustain during my season and a half as host. However, labor is always constrained by time, that one resource we never seem to have enough of. Even with the technical advancements I've put into place during my tenure with the automatic scoring and records-keeping spreadsheet, it still takes multiple hours every week to verify the schedule's accuracy, check for spoilers, collect the picks, and make any necessary postings. I've been ready and willing to handle that workload throughout my tenure, but recent life events have created the need for me to re-evaluate my ability to fulfill the demands of the hosting position.

I've loved every minute of my involvement with the Friday Prediction Game, but as Chaucer wrote and is often quoted, "All good things must come to an end." Or to put it another way, I am officially stepping down as FPG host with the close of the season.

Now before anyone starts thinking that this is something out of left field, know that I hope to leave the game in a little bit better fashion than my predecessor. Rather than disappearing mid-season and without warning, I previously informed Prizes and cu2010 of my decision via PM about two months ago in the hopes they they might be able to find a successor to the job in that time. I haven't been in contact with them as much as I'd have liked lately, due to some of the life events previously mentioned, but I'm sure that they've done all due diligence in a hosting search and should be able to report back to you with the results shortly. If they have been successful in finding a new host, I want to wish that person all the best of luck and offer any assistance that they might like with getting their records-keeping up and running.

I'm sorry to be leaving after so short a time as host, and I wish that I were able to carry on for at least another season or two, but life doesn't always work out the way we want it to. Till next we meet around the boards, this is Scott Bond hoping that that you can all stay off the bagel bus, that all your key games show up, and that you may always find a way to stop the Dob. So long...

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: FPG 6/16/17 - FINALS RESULTS
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 12:30:48 AM »
You wouldn't know this FPG was done with two missing shows based on the results. While all four finalists were top-tier, I think it speaks to how predictable the lineups on the show get nowadays when it's budget time.

This felt befitting of a final despite my misgivings yesterday, so overall I'm satisfied on that front.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 12:50:04 AM »
And Kev proves once again why he's the master of FPG. Congratulations to him!

I'll admit that I'm a bit disappointed in my performance here - kinda knew after submitting that it would be one of those low-scoring submissions. Had I reasoned out my picks more, I probably would've been able to figure out a non-cash SP would be 3rd and that Deck would likely show up again because it's June. That being said, I'm glad at how well I've done this season and that I've been able to make it this far.

results post
Thanks for all of your hard work with this game. It's been a bit of a strange season overall - incessant amounts of spoilers and lots of random twists (the all-cash show, that one surprise Triple Play appearance, cars 3rd and 4th, Punch for a car...) - but I especially appreciate that you were able to find a solution to the spoiler problem with the RPGs, as well as being able to send Prizes the partial picks despite your busy schedule in order to not keep us completely waiting until late. Best of luck wherever life takes you, and here's hoping that a new host can be found!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:54:22 AM by TPIRFan2000 »
I hadn't really thought about this before, but the reality of death means that every day there are less people in the world than the day before.  In reality there are many more people in the world than this but for illustration: If one day there are 1000 people in the world and the next day 55 people die, now there are 945 people in the world. if 30 more die the next day now there are 915 people in the world. So we'll eventually become extinct as will all creatures as the same reality applies to dogs, cats, horses etc.

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 09:04:18 AM »
Thank you Scott for weathering the storm and hosting these past one and a half seasons! You've done a great job. It's really not been easy to play this game between all the spoilers, preemptions, etc. I still enjoy playing the game though despite all that and really appreciate the time you have put in.

Agree with what Wayo said about how predictable this lineup was. While I heavily considered Spelling Bee, in the end I decided to throw as many"safe" picks into the lineup as I could with the 2 missing shows. Those "safe" picks ended up adding up to a big score. This shouldn't always happen.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 12:25:10 AM »
A great final matchup - congrats to Kev. While it was possible to go 6/6 since nobody from the show is really "playing" against us any more, even being the only one to correctly choose Cliff Hangers wasn't enough to help me.

After a disappointing regular season where I only managed one win, it was good to be in the finals for the second year in a row. I also moved up one spot from last year. Progress!

Thanks to Scott for running the game for the past year and a half. I feel that we have finally come up with a good solution to the spoilers problem and the spreadsheet advances have helped eliminate errors. I hope a good host is found for us to continue the game next season.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024