Author Topic: How possible would another revival of Hollywood Squares be?  (Read 6883 times)

Offline Plinkomatic

• In Contestant's Row
  • AKA The One Who No One Gets
Re: How possible would another revival of Hollywood Squares be?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2017, 06:20:57 AM »
I believe CBS was contemplating doing "Squares" in Primetime this summer in competition with ABC's Fun & Games lineup. But obviously nothing ever came of that.

You're serious? They were actually considering that?
You're going to play PLINKOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For a chance to win up to fifty THOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUSAND dollars!

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2017, 09:45:37 AM »
Are the rights to Hollywood Squares in some kind of limbo? In a sense, would ABC airing their own version violate cross-ownership with Fremantle who owns Match Game? That said, I don't think they'd do a full revival as long as Hip Hop Squares is still running.

Offline Plinkomatic

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2017, 04:11:43 PM »
Are the rights to Hollywood Squares in some kind of limbo? In a sense, would ABC airing their own version violate cross-ownership with Fremantle who owns Match Game? That said, I don't think they'd do a full revival as long as Hip Hop Squares is still running.

I believe CBS Television Distribution owns the rights. They gained the rights after they were formed out of the remains of KingWorld, who produced the 1998 version, and CBS Paramount. Also, I don't know if it would matter what network they put it on. The CW, for one thing, doesn't seem to have any game shows. They do have Whose Line, but that doesn't count. I think the network should give the game show industry a go.
You're going to play PLINKOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For a chance to win up to fifty THOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUSAND dollars!

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 08:15:01 PM »
I believe CBS was contemplating doing "Squares" in Primetime this summer in competition with ABC's Fun & Games lineup. But obviously nothing ever came of that.

I remember hearing rumors about squares coming back i thought it was for syndication.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
The rights issue around Hollywood Squares lies in the Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour ownership split between MGM and FremantleMedia...
The Peter Marshall and John Davidson versions are owned by MGM via Filmways/Orion.
Tom Bergeron's version is owned by CBS Television distribution.

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 01:50:28 PM »
Not sure if I'd enjoy Hollywood Squares much these days.  I'm 50 and most of the current celebrities are ones I have probably never heard of or they would have a lot of "reality" people on as celebs and that simply would not do it for me personally, not to sound like an old stick in the mud.

I know several of you have mentioned bringing back some game shows that have fallen by the wayside.  Tic Tac Dough would be awesome to bring back, in the Martindale fashion (both in set design and gameplay) not the Patrick Wayne 1990 fiasco.

While I adored Gambit, it was brought back sort of in recent years as Catch 21.

Personally, I'd love to see a revival of a much too under-rated game show "Three on a Match".  It could very easily be updated I believe for the 21st century.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 08:13:20 PM »
Is Match Game coming back? it was an okay version it could of been better.

Offline Plinkomatic

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 02:11:25 AM »
Is Match Game coming back? it was an okay version it could of been better.

Perhaps you don't watch ABC on Sundays at 9/8c ;)

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 09:53:45 AM »
Perhaps you don't watch ABC on Sundays at 9/8c ;)

Perhaps because it hasn't been on there this year?  At least not here - we get an hour of Celebrity Feud from 8-9 then Steve Harvey's Funderdome (where 2 inventions compete for money to fund their ideas) from 9-10 then the $100,000 Pyramid from 10-11.

Haven't seen Match game recently (unlike last summer's setup of the three game shows).

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 02:30:24 PM »
Match Game season two ran largely as a winter placeholder between halves of Designated Survivor (plus fill in for some failed drama or another I think), so no summer run.  I've read season 3 will tape this fall (and I'm speculating they'd use it in a similar fashion, filling a gap where needed. Personally, I'd rather have had the same lineup as last summer return this summer on Sundays, but I get what ABC wanted to do. No interest in Funderdome for me, but to each their own.

Impressively, To Tell the Truth gets a regular season slot to start the season after its second season filled in nicely as a backstop. Nice little utility player ABC has there.

Hollywood Squares is an interesting case. The closest analogy being Match Game, in terms of a comedy-oriented celebrity-driven program in which the game is somewhat incidental. It could work out, given a mix of celebrities like--for the most part--Match Game has pulled off. A daily version--probably not with the economics of the market currently.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 01:35:51 AM »
Haven't seen Match game recently (unlike last summer's setup of the three game shows).

I've been checking the Match Game website, because I went to a taping last November and a contestant gave an answer so outrageous...

[SFX: "How outrageous was it?" from the audience]

It was so outrageous that...

a) I wonder if it will air uncensored, and
b) I started a thread about it right here at the Golden Road (link).

That episode has yet to air.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Plinkomatic

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 03:17:03 AM »
One thing I really love about Hollywood Squares is how every time the celebrities are asked a question, they first respond with a funny joke for comedic effect, and give the audience time to laugh, and then they give their real answer. For example:

Tom: 17 Magazine published a survey claiming that more than 85% of teens are more likely to do volunteer work if what?
Judge Judy: If I order them to do it!
*The audience laughs at that*
Judge Judy: If it's outdoors.

The female contestant of the day, Wendy, agreed with her. However, the real answer was "if they're friends." Wendy did wind up becoming the champion of the day, and in the final round where she had to pick a celebrity and see what was in their envelope, she picked Judge Judy, and won a Mustang convertible by getting the answer to the question right.

Another popular instance of this type of gag on the show is of course the infamous "YOU FOOL" incident. Anyone else remember that? XD

Turns out I misheard the one about the volunteer work one. The answer was really "If their friends do it." I'm so stupid :P

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 10:38:30 AM »
Not sure if I'd enjoy Hollywood Squares much these days.  I'm 50 and most of the current celebrities are ones I have probably never heard of or they would have a lot of "reality" people on as celebs and that simply would not do it for me personally, not to sound like an old stick in the mud.

I know several of you have mentioned bringing back some game shows that have fallen by the wayside.  Tic Tac Dough would be awesome to bring back, in the Martindale fashion (both in set design and gameplay) not the Patrick Wayne 1990 fiasco.

While I adored Gambit, it was brought back sort of in recent years as Catch 21.

Personally, I'd love to see a revival of a much too under-rated game show "Three on a Match".  It could very easily be updated I believe for the 21st century.

A TTD revival that tacks as close to Wink's version as possible would be a huge plus on the airwaves.  Especially if there's no clear sign of a new Hollywood Squares on the horizon, thus meaning the concept would be unique at the time. 

Going back in a way to the post a while back concerning the apparent new Joker's Wild, I think the best way to handle any new version of that would be, in simplest terms, marry the classic version's main game (although perhaps boost the winning total to $2,000, both in regards to inflation and to allow for longer gameplay if they wish the show to be self-contained) with the Finn revival's bonus round (although instead of wasting time guessing definitions, perhaps give a set number of spins to match all three windows--5 seems a reasonable amount to me--plus keep the devil on the wheel as a lose everything function, with the option to bail out at any point retained, perhaps with a $5,000 consolation prize for those who choose to do so). 

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 04:41:28 PM »
I don't believe the pacing of the prototypical B&E quiz shows of the 70s/80s would work today--and I was a fan of all of them (even Play the Percentages, such as it was). Even by the 90s it was just too slow for a straight ahead back-and-forth, one question at a time/taking turns show (with easy questions to boot). Stretching that out to reach $2000 in Joker's Wild's case...too many viewers wouldn't make it to the first commercial break.

We'll see what Snoop and company have in mind, and maybe it will be a fun twist.