Author Topic: NFL Rivalry Episode Idea  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
NFL Rivalry Episode Idea
« on: November 22, 2017, 02:11:26 PM »
Since CBS also airs the NFL on Sundays (and Thursday nights, during the first half of the season), I just thought up this new idea for a Rivalry episode that would air on the Friday before the Super Bowl. It would feature a pair of rival fans being called down, and the IUFB winner would then be called up on stage with the rival fan being sent back to the audience. If the IUFB winner loses his/her PG, then the rival will get $5,000 as a consolation prize.

I'm thinking the following pairs:

• 49ers-Rams
  • Bears-Packers
  • Bengals-Browns
  • Bills-Dolphins
  • Broncos-Chiefs
  • Buccaneers-Saints
  • Cardinals-Seahawks
  • Chargers-Raiders
  • Colts-Jaguars
  • Cowboys-Redskins
  • Eagles-Giants
  • Falcons-Panthers
  • Jets-Patriots
  • Lions-Vikings
  • Ravens-Steelers
  • Texans-Titans

I know this is not exactly a perfect list, but there are other pairings that could be done. Any suggestions?

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: NFL Rivalry Episode Idea
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 02:22:17 PM »
My only problem is that $5,000 seems like a little much for a "consolation" prize.  On the College Rivals episodes, they did $1,000 as the prize for the rival.

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 02:28:25 PM »
Eagles would absolutely have to be paired with the Cowboys, no question. I would also pair the Seahawks with the 49ers. Steelers-Ravens, no doubt. The others seem to be fine, but those three stand out as big-time rivals. You could even have corss-conference matchups, doesn't necessarily have to be within division. Think Giants-Jets, for example. We saw the Notre Dame-USC pairing, which obviously isn't in conference.
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 03:24:31 PM »
Isn't this garbage format once a year enough?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 03:32:01 PM »
I wouldn't mind it for one show. I don't think you have to stick strictly to one rivalry each. For example, there can be Cowboys-Giants but there could be Cowboys-Eagles and Cowboys-Redskins too depending on who the contestants are that taping. Also, rather than sitting the rival that did not win the IUFB down they could just replace the winner with another one of that team's rivals. I also agree with tpir7215 that $5,000 is a bit steep for a consolation.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 05:47:17 PM »
Falcons-Saints rivalry is easily the oldest in the division and most recognized by the NFL.  Bucs-Panthers seems to be the other “best” rivalry competition for the division.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 09:09:50 PM »
Chiefs-Raiders also would make the most sense for those teams were this ever to be put into actual practice. 

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 10:17:55 PM »
Isn't this garbage format once a year enough?

Yes. We don't need to get the NFL involved with this either.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 10:14:38 AM »
The "rivalry" concept is perhaps the single least Goodson-like idea they've done. It's bad enough that they can't seem to get rid of it.

We shouldn't be promoting bad concepts.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 11:36:22 AM »
The NFL doesn't need promotional help from Price and the same is true the other way around.  There's no entertainment in seeing third-string backups playing pricing games in practice jerseys with contestants that don't care about his team.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 01:52:57 PM »
No.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 02:56:59 PM »
The NFL doesn't need promotional help from Price and the same is true the other way around.
It was more CBS' doing than the NFL's, but the NFL has had no problem shilling their product on Price with the showcases for Thursday Night Football (did they do one this season?) and showcases for the Super Bowl the year CBS has it. They did an entire episode for Super Bowl 50, with the all the models (and it was a full house) in team jerseys.

I think both the NFL and Price will take help from wherever they can get it. Not advocating for expanding the "rivalry" format, just noting that I wouldn't dismiss it.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.