Author Topic: Why did all of the inside sources stop posting here?  (Read 40815 times)

Offline Trivia Trap

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Thinks Hes Seen Finish Line
Re: Why did all of the inside sources stop posting here?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 08:51:34 PM »
Thank you Steve. I have been watching this thread from the sidelines.

I will only add that as a long-time moderator here I will say that sometimes it is better to handle things more... tactfully than I've seen here lately. Hopefully we can all learn from this thread and communication between posters and moderators will go smoother in the future.

I don't post on here much, but I read it here once a week at least. Alfonzo, you're the nicest mod I've came upon in my 9+ years of mostly lurking here. And SteveGavazzi, your knowledge of the show is light years past mine, and I think that I am a walking encyclopedia myself. Sometimes I am irked that when you reply to something I post and step all over it is not because that you are being a D-bag, it's you with a much more informed and involved opinion and feeling than mine. AND THAT'S OKAY BECAUSE WE ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS IN 2017 DESPITE!

I don't have a problem with this site at all, really, except that it was more lively. Which is what I think we all would feel. And the good kinda lively, not a troll taking a post like a drunk guy at bat at a slow pitch softball game on the 4th of July.

I remember the days of late/end of Bob, the worry of the summer, and the first 1.5 years of Drew. I scheduled classes in college around the price is right. It's been part of my life knowingly for 25 years now at least, and it will be forever.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 09:58:40 PM »
Regarding all the recent goings-on, here's my 2 cents for anybody that wants it.  When it all comes down to it, most of the members of this site don't know each other in real life.  They don't know each other's personal lives, their outlook on life, their history, what's going on in their minds, or even so much as their real name.  What we see is what's pounded out on a keyboard and interpreted in whatever way our minds want to take it.  I've never been keen on the idea of treating a discussion forum like a multi-million dollar corporation and everyone is just an employee, but the high levels of hostility that have been known to happen around here kind of warrant that.  My advice to anyone who gets annoyed, angry, or frustrated when someone else posts a "dumb" question, doesn't have a full understanding of something, or isn't making much sense is to remember they're just a person who might not know as much about something as you do.  Educate them, encourage them to learn, show them how to further their knowledge, and seek clarification in a friendly way rather than scold them for not knowing or not making sense.  On that same token, if someone is just plain being a troll, that's why we have moderators who can deal with those sorts of people accordingly.  Topics will come up that have been mentioned before.  Someone will post something that makes no sense at some point.  Controversial subjects will inevitably be brought up.  Someone will insult or offend someone else eventually.  Emotions will flare.  Stuff will happen.  At the end of the day, if we all take a moment to remember that we're all just people and try to treat each other with a little bit of respect, we can have a nice community.  Whether you're a newcomer, a longstanding member, a moderator, or just a passerby, let's all strive to be the best community we can be and move on from the ugliness.  It's late for me and I don't even know if any of that made sense or meant anything to anybody but feel free to add anything I may have left out.

The actual retail price is...

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 11:12:27 PM »
Regarding all the recent goings-on, here's my 2 cents for anybody that wants it.  When it all comes down to it, most of the members of this site don't know each other in real life.  They don't know each other's personal lives, their outlook on life, their history, what's going on in their minds, or even so much as their real name.  What we see is what's pounded out on a keyboard and interpreted in whatever way our minds want to take it.  I've never been keen on the idea of treating a discussion forum like a multi-million dollar corporation and everyone is just an employee, but the high levels of hostility that have been known to happen around here kind of warrant that.  My advice to anyone who gets annoyed, angry, or frustrated when someone else posts a "dumb" question, doesn't have a full understanding of something, or isn't making much sense is to remember they're just a person who might not know as much about something as you do.  Educate them, encourage them to learn, show them how to further their knowledge, and seek clarification in a friendly way rather than scold them for not knowing or not making sense.  On that same token, if someone is just plain being a troll, that's why we have moderators who can deal with those sorts of people accordingly.  Topics will come up that have been mentioned before.  Someone will post something that makes no sense at some point.  Controversial subjects will inevitably be brought up.  Someone will insult or offend someone else eventually.  Emotions will flare.  Stuff will happen.  At the end of the day, if we all take a moment to remember that we're all just people and try to treat each other with a little bit of respect, we can have a nice community.  Whether you're a newcomer, a longstanding member, a moderator, or just a passerby, let's all strive to be the best community we can be and move on from the ugliness.  It's late for me and I don't even know if any of that made sense or meant anything to anybody but feel free to add anything I may have left out.

That sounded perfect to me.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2017, 11:24:47 AM »
I think all of the moderators need to be evaluated on a regular basis. Torgo isn't the only problem, though he may have been the most severe.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2017, 12:16:10 PM »
I have to agree. This isn't directed at any individual but lately I've been afraid to make posts in fear that some of higher power will jump all over it. The attitude of some posters here as of late is very distasteful. When I joined here some time ago this place was full of life and lately I almost want to liken it to a totalitarian society. Mods should be moderating the site and not using their power for bullying and intimidation.

Offline TPIRViewer

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2017, 01:10:09 PM »
I think all of the moderators need to be evaluated on a regular basis. Torgo isn't the only problem, though he may have been the most severe.

I am in full support of that.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2017, 04:48:55 PM »
You know, this thread has derailed to the point where I should perhaps lock it for being ridiculously off-topic, especially after that heated back and forth yesterday of which I'm still not quite sure exactly what happened since I wasn't paying attention...but I'm not going to.

I'm a big believer in the notion that anyone should be free to voice any concerns they may have regarding management, so long as it is done tactfully and with class, in accordance to forum Rule #1. What I don't appreciate is massive profanity-laden rants about how we as moderators are "terrible people" who are "ruining the site" (you have no clue how many times I've heard that!). We're all human- we all make mistakes, and I'm certainly guilty of overreacting at times too. It's no secret that I'm hardly around anymore- I work a full-time day job and the show doesn't really interest me that much anymore- but I still love this site, and still love this community, and still want to see it succeed. What happened yesterday is a prime example of what should not have happened- from all involved. Emotions spiraled out of control, action was taken, more emotions happened; it was all just a giant mess.

Someone was banned yesterday. It happened. Let's accept that and move on with our lives, and not discuss it any further, regardless your feelings of what happened.

My challenge for all of you this summer and going forward is this: let's all try to be nicer to each other. Treat each other with respect, regardless of whether or not you agree with them. There's so much negativity in this world right now, especially on the Internet, that we should be trying to escape from, not further exasperate the problem.  Read what you've written over before hitting that "post" button and ask yourself: could this possibly be taken the wrong way and offend someone or someones? If so, perhaps it shouldn't be posted. Remember that it's considerably more difficult to detect sarcasm in a text setting than it is talking to someone in person, and I really believe that's where 3/4 of the problems most seem to see in this site start. This is not to say that you can't joke around and have fun...this site would be boring if we kept everything so serious all the time, but if there's even a chance where it crosses a line, it's probably best kept private.

Likewise, we could all- myself included- stand to remember that this is an Internet forum first and foremost, and that perhaps we shouldn't take things so seriously all the time. If we'd learn to just let things go instead of get defensive about every little thing, we'd go a long way into being a more friendly place to be. If you have a problem with another member, hit that "Report to moderator" link on the post in question and let one of us decide which action, if anything, needs to be taken. If you have a problem with an action taken in a moderation capacity, feel free to send us a friendly PM about it. We can't learn from our mistakes if we don't realize we're making them. If you send me a PM, so long as it is respectful, I promise to get back to you as quickly as I can with a friendly response.

Marc has always said that the driving force behind the site is YOU, the members, who generate discussion and make this community, well, what it is. I realize that we might be in a bit of a rut right now with regards to having things to talk about, and the summer hiatus is always a slow time of year, but if you want to discuss something and don't see it being discussed anywhere, by all means, start that discussion! Want to share your feelings about a recent big win? Talk about it. Want to discuss what pricing games you like and don't like? Do it. So long as you back up your points and say why you think how you do, you won't be ridiculed for your opinion...and if you are, we'll see to it that it doesn't happen again. Likewise, accept that fact that someone is going to disagree with you somewhere, and that's totally okay too, so long as their rebuttal is made with the same level of class and respect that your original point was. Remember, always attack the idea, never the person. Don't say that someone's idea is "stupid" with no context, tell them WHY it is...without resorting to using words such as "stupid", of course! I've always maintained that there's room on this site for ALL fans of the show- whether they be new fans who enjoy the show now with Drew Carey, those of us who grew up with Barker and prefer those shows, or even those who think someone else entirely is the best host- they're all welcome here. We may not have the same level of inside access we had in the past for reasons unknown, and we may never have it again, but we can still keep this site going strong if we all come together and make it so.

I know this was long, but hey, I had to get my two cents in somehow. :lol:

In short, let's all work together and Make Golden-Road Great Again!*

*Though without all the nonsensical rants on Twitter about Lord knows what...and that's all the political talk that is to happen.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 04:56:17 PM by therealcu2010 »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2017, 05:38:21 PM »
  :boo: BORRRRRRRRRRRRING! We all know you are as mad and power-hungry as Torgo was. The TRUE way to make this site great again is to get rid of you and Prizes because all the other mods aren't power-hungry like you two.

Oh man, this is a shame. Looks like we've been found out and caught. Pack up shop CU, we would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2017, 11:15:42 AM »
Hi gang,
Glad to see all of the (mostly) positive vibes in this thread.
I tend to zip in and out of this site depending on my schedule, and I always appreciate the interesting discussions when they occur.
We all have good days and bad days, and sometime what is happening in "real life" bleeds into our posts.  Heck, recently I made a post towards someone where I looked back on it the next day and thought "man, I was real jerk there".  Tone and intent are easily lost in online posts...easy to forget that.
Moving forward there are certainly things we can do to rally the troops.  I know goldroadfanatic and I always enjoyed putting together the live shows, and I am confident I can speak for him in that we'd be eager to try these again.  Anything which gives us a chance to come together, talk about the show and enjoy our shared interest is welcome and productive for the site.

Take care.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2017, 09:36:42 PM »
When it all comes down to it, most of the members of this site don't know each other in real life.  They don't know each other's personal lives, their outlook on life, their history, what's going on in their minds, or even so much as their real name.

But that was not always the case.  Back when I joined almost 14 years ago (yikes) people did get to actually know each other.  I worked with a member on a campus TPiR program.  People who had been to the site came to TPiR programs that I put on in the student union.  We knew peoples' names, and emailed and had AIM chats.    (Again, am I old?)  Times changed, and the site's personality shifted away from a close community of a few hundred avid fans and a bunch of lurkers to thousands of people that share a loose connection related to The Price is Right. 

Why did the staff stop posting?  They're not staff any more. The people here aren't the same people they knew back years ago.  Anyone can go to his/her own place on the Internet and post--not just a web board.  Company policies change and limit what can be disclosed.  Or, they just didn't feel like posting much anymore--much like myself.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2017, 09:49:13 PM »
Or, they just didn't feel like posting much anymore--much like myself.

But love seeing you around now and then.  Please pop in more often!
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2017, 12:30:56 AM »
Psht, who just pops in out of the blue any more?
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2017, 09:43:42 AM »
But to answer the question of the OP and the above quoted statement. Inside sources have most likely stopped posting here because there's nothing to post about. The former inside sources that would post here would usually do so to spread any drama or something drastic going on behind the scenes. There was a lot of drama and drastic changes going on 8-9 years ago with Roger's departure, Rich's departure, model lawsuits, etc. While I'm sure drama exists in some form on the set, it's inescapable, there's simply nothing to report on since the show has reached a stable point of producing quality shows to the point of winning two Emmys.

Also, RBP and pentelit didn't work for the show anymore. Any more information they'd have to spread would be from any friends left backstage and again, there probably isn't much to spread here. It's also very possible that Nanny and KenCrane also don't work for Fremantle/CBS anymore.

If you think the moderators behavior is bad, go search up some old posts. The site used to be a lot rougher in the years following Roger's departure. I don't think the site's current tone is what drove them away. Especially since they have reputations here that they know would afford them respect when they post. And don't forget, when Nanny first posted, no one knew who they were and not-so-kindly dismissed them at first until it was proven that what they said was correct.

I think that's well stated. A few others that were posted later were also well stated.

To me, I sense part of the reason is ... many of us live in the "real world." We have full-time jobs that are hectic and don't always have time to so much as catch up on our lives outside of TPiR. Posters who didn't really have good points or asked questions in an ... well, awkward way usually didn't last long here anyway for one reason or another.

(To that point, there's not really anything such as a bad question, even though we do have such things as FAQs; but I've seen many questions and comments stated awkwardly ... and we're all certainly guilty of it, and I think there were times when we could have been more patient with them. It's like the rule is on Wikipedia, and it's to paraphrase: "Don't bite the hands of newcomers.")

And yes, I think the Drew Carey-era of TPiR has gotten much better in more recent years. A lot of the bad ideas were out of their system early on, and while no one can ever compare to the old era, we have to accept it for what it is now ... a bygone era that, much like our childhoods, is something to cherish and relish, but we move forward and we move on.

I hope this site continues. I enjoy reading the updates on current and past shows, and insight into the show's current and past successes. It is a shame that anyone had to be banned from this site because of what they've said, but when you have arguments like that and people blaming certain posters for this, that or the other thing, sometimes ugliness rears its head and shows a side of oneself that others' rather not deal with. (To that end, I hope that someday, when they've had time to reflect on their words, they can offer a true apology. Whether that is owed, however, is not up to me.)

Keep up the good work.

Brian

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2017, 01:10:30 PM »
Sorry to belabor a point, but I, too, was unceremoniously banned from chat by Torgo many months ago.  To this day, I have no idea why.  I'm just glad that he and his hostility are gone.  I'm a member here since 2005, was gone for a while, and returned about a year ago, only to be greeted by that nonsense, on what should be a friendly site. 

And can someone please let me know how I get unbanned from chat?  I didn't even ever use it that much.

Thanks.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2017, 01:55:59 PM »
And can someone please let me know how I get unbanned from chat?  I didn't even ever use it that much.

All bans were reset/removed with the move to a Discord server as the page's official chatroom, which you and anyone else can join by clicking this link. Looking forward to seeing you at the next show you can chat with us. It has much better customization options, no glitches, more stable, etc. Speaking of, since I don't have that power, Marc, next time you're online, any chance you could change the chat link to the one in this post for everyone's sake, if at all possible? Thanks in advance, think it'd surely help a lot of folks for future shows both this summer and beyond.

...anywho, on an unmentioned note in this thread, personally found it amusing Torgo was described as power hungry, in light of the fact he sent Chelsea a message regarding his desire to resign, due to working an actual full-time job. He had told me through social media that, as a resulting effect of said job, "There's no way I can justify a position of power when I'd never be [t]here." No stance, just an observation about how the chips fell.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!