Author Topic: Big Wheel 3D Rendering  (Read 5432 times)

Offline JKVisFX

• In the Audience
Big Wheel 3D Rendering
« on: July 07, 2017, 11:34:27 PM »
Hey all,  I just finished this 3D model for a personal project of mine. It is a still image to add to my portfolio. It was modeled, lit, shaded and textured in The Foundry's Modo with some additional composting and finishing done in Adobe After Effects.

Getting good, clear references of the current Big Wheel set was a bit of a challenge. I am not 100% confident I got all of the details exactly right but, I got as close as I could with what I could find. Any >constructive< feedback would be greatly appreciated.

(You can learn more about Modo here if you are interested: https://www.foundry.com/products/modo)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:37:31 PM by JKVisFX »

Offline Plinkomatic

• In Contestant's Row
  • AKA The One Who No One Gets
Re: Big Wheel 3D Rendering
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 01:14:23 AM »
Hey all,  I just finished this 3D model for a personal project of mine. It is a still image to add to my portfolio. It was modeled, lit, shaded and textured in The Foundry's Modo with some additional composting and finishing done in Adobe After Effects.

Getting good, clear references of the current Big Wheel set was a bit of a challenge. I am not 100% confident I got all of the details exactly right but, I got as close as I could with what I could find. Any >constructive< feedback would be greatly appreciated.

(You can learn more about Modo here if you are interested: https://www.foundry.com/products/modo)

Probably THE most realistic 3D rendering of ANYTHING that I've ever seen
You're going to play PLINKOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For a chance to win up to fifty THOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUSAND dollars!

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 01:15:25 AM »
I have to say, that is the slickest, most photo-realistic virtual version of the set I've ever seen. 

Well done, and more, please! :)
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 02:16:24 AM »
I'll third here. Awesome job! :-)

I really like the detail on the numbers and the sides of the wheel, plus the border lights. And just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to make this?
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 07:19:18 AM »
Wait - this isn't a photograph from the studio when the lights are dimly lit?? Well done - exceptional!

JT

Online mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »
This is a really good rendering. I am even trying to consider other factors like the real TPiR set getting a little dusty/faded over time, but even with that considered, this is great.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 05:49:38 PM »
Holy crap, this is pretty amazing.

Well done!

Only nitpick I have is that the numbers in the scoreboard aren't quite right, but as I said, nitpick. :)
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline JKVisFX

• In the Audience
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »
I'll third here. Awesome job! :-)

I really like the detail on the numbers and the sides of the wheel, plus the border lights. And just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to make this?
Thanks!  It took about three weeks total to do. And it pretty much maxed out the computing power I have. The final image took 9 hours to render.

Offline JKVisFX

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 06:38:03 PM »
Holy crap, this is pretty amazing.

Well done!

Only nitpick I have is that the numbers in the scoreboard aren't quite right, but as I said, nitpick. :)
Yeah, that was the one thing I least confident of. I couldn't find any good references for that so, I went with a project someone had done to create their own scoreboard, this:

Offline JKVisFX

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 06:41:00 PM »
Wait - this isn't a photograph from the studio when the lights are dimly lit?? Well done - exceptional!

JT
Thank you.  Speaking of lighting, I would LOVE a lighting diagram from the set so that I could match the better.

Offline JKVisFX

• In the Audience
Re: Big Wheel 3D Rendering - Slightly updated.
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 06:43:53 PM »
I fixed a couple of small issues:

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 10:08:47 PM »
This is the best TPIR art I've ever seen. Outstanding work.

I'm seeing something very, very minor with the numbers on the front of the wheel; they look a bit out of proportion. Compare to the picture below, and how tight the dollar is to the edges of the space. You can also see more space in the photo between the wheel and the side walls, so I think it might be that the walls are right but the wheel itself is a bit wide.

That's also me nitpicking, though, because this is amazing.

Offline JKVisFX

• In the Audience
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 12:14:42 AM »
Yeah, I think you are right. That would actually be a fairly easy fix. Next round!

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 01:16:03 PM »
I agree -- very impressive.

Since you're receptive to minor insignificant nitpicks: The green spaces on the wheel use a matte paint, so they wouldn't reflect the lights like the black spaces do.

And this might be more trouble than it's worth, but the rows of side-by-side lights wrap around the sides of the wheel (or underneath, as the case may be). It's tough to find a good picture of it, but you can see it at http://esq.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/05/54cb57978df4b_-_esq-price-is-right-camera-071210-lg.jpg . If I remember correctly, it's just three rows of lights on each side.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »
Jaw dropping sensational work!  Truly sensational!  I even tried to reach out and grab a handle to spin it!  Masterful!

Do you have other samples of work you have done, or is this your first go at it?