Author Topic: Problems posting You Tube videos  (Read 5026 times)

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
Problems posting You Tube videos
« on: July 16, 2017, 04:29:33 AM »
I've attempted to post some videos from You Tube using the You Tube button, but when I preview the post instead of seeing the video I see this:

#Invalid YouTube Link#

I've changed the tags from <youtube>URL</youtube> to <url>URL</url> which provides a working link to the video, but it's not the same as having a visual preview.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Re: Problems posting You Tube videos
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 05:48:14 AM »
Remove the S from "https". That should solve it.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Not exactly "Left Field" avatars.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 11:48:01 PM »
This is a common problem on forums that are coded from sites like SMF or phpBB. As said, removing the S from "https" will resolve this.

(And I bet that once "https" does work, then "http" without the S will stop working. But I hope that they'll both work.)
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 11:58:30 PM »
It works!  (I just tried it.)  Thanks!
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 01:16:40 AM »
I have no experience with the inner workings of SMF, but one would think that by 2017, the ability to automatically recognize photo and video links as such without having to insert code would be pretty standard.  I manage a blog that utilizes Wordpress, and very seldom do I ever have to do any coding.  Posting and/or linking images and videos is very simple.  For links, it's literally just copy and paste.

Wordpress and Simple Machines Forums exist for different purposes, but at their heart, they do similar things.  One makes those things incredibly simple while the other doesn't, and that 'other' is the one with "simple" in its name.

With that being said, how long has it been since the SMF backbone of the site was last updated?  Perhaps this issue has been addressed and is just an update away, although part of me kind of doubts it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:21:26 AM by PayingTheRent »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker