Author Topic: Question about a pricing game  (Read 3141 times)

Offline strommy

• Outside in Line
Question about a pricing game
« on: July 17, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »
So I went to the first taping of the day today and was wondering about a pricing game called Hot Seat. I haven't actually watched the show regularly in a few years and was just wondering if this is a new game. Drew gave sort of a confusing intro of it. George and Drew did specifically say it was the first show of the 46th season but there wasn't any of the usual season premiere items like balloons, etc. Have they kind of done away with this practice in recent years?

Offline Trivia Trap

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Thinks Hes Seen Finish Line
Re: Question about a pricing game
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:31:49 PM »
Hot Seat is a relatively new game, though as a LFaT, I feel ashamed to say I have yet to see it. I hear that it doesn't use the models. They went big last year for 45, so it's not wildly surprising to me that they didn't do much besides a shoutout.

Also not entirely sure that you're allowed to speak about shows that haven't aired yet? Not trying to be tough, but I am not sure.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:27:40 PM »
Hot Seat debuted during the first week of season 45. Was the show you saw meant to be the aired season premiere, or was it just the first show they taped for this coming season's shows? The season premiere is sometimes taped after some other shows in the season.

Online OneBidTris

• 4/2/2024
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
  • Hosting FPG for Season 50
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 12:43:28 AM »
My guess is that this would be the Monday following premiere week.

Usually, they start taping with the first month of regular shows and then in early August they tape the first aired week of the season.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 01:46:41 AM »
Hot Seat is actually one of my favorite pricing games.  It combines the higher/lower pricing of small prizes as in Punch A Bunch and Shell Game with the cash winnings/bailout format from It's In the Bag. 

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 02:08:14 AM »
Season premiere week is pretty much always celebrated in some form or fashion, so it's safe to assume the episode in question is not a part of said week, given the details provided plus what others have said.

Since we don't yet know the air dates for Season 46, I don't think the Hot Seat spoiler is that big of a deal.  Just don't reveal the results or discuss any other games that were played in that show.

Also not entirely sure that you're allowed to speak about shows that haven't aired yet?

You are correct.  Unless the powers above me feel differently, I see no harm in letting it slide this time, but spoilers such as these are certainly something to be avoided. 

Pretty much, don't discuss contestants who were selected, pricing games played, any type of results, etc.  Details such as Drew mentioning this being the first taped show of the upcoming season, production and directing mistakes, your overall taping experience, etc. -- those things are generally fair game to discuss.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:10:43 AM by PayingTheRent »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline strommy

• Outside in Line
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 03:41:55 AM »
It is supposed to air 9/25, the final Monday of September.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 12:32:05 PM »
Yeah, this is generally a no-no...but I'll let it slide this time. You didn't spoil any results, so no harm no foul I guess.

Don't do it again. :)

Also, they really haven't done much in terms of set decorations for season premieres for a few years now. I don't recall Season 45 having any, either, and Season 44 definitely didn't. At this point, do they really need to?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:34:11 PM by therealcu2010 »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 02:08:44 PM »
Seeing that September 25th is when the networks will begin airing season premieres for most of their shows, then the episode in question must in fact be the 46th season premiere and not just the first taped show.  I stand corrected. :P

I do miss season premieres being treated as a big deal, but like CU said, it's not really necessary anymore.  At least they still generally give the premiere week shows a slightly higher budget compared to normal, non-themed shows, and I don't see any reason for that to change.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 03:02:06 PM »
Also, they really haven't done much in terms of set decorations for season premieres for a few years now. I don't recall Season 45 having any, either, and Season 44 definitely didn't. At this point, do they really need to?

While the 45th premiere week didn't have the balloon-a-palooza the Barker era typically employed, they plastered the new "45 Years" logo everywhere, including the turntable, and flanked Door #2 with the golden "45 Years" logo dollar signs. Season 44 debuted the home base monitor overhaul and kicked off with Decades Week, which transformed the set pretty much every day.

Whereas the show used to tack on extra decorations in the past, it seems they've moved towards the more practical method of utilizing the color-changing parts of the set and graphics on the set's monitors to reflect special episodes. (It's garish enough on a normal day, I can't imagine what more they could... well I'll stop right there.)

Online thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 09:35:21 PM »
Seeing that September 25th is when the networks will begin airing season premieres for most of their shows, then the episode in question must in fact be the 46th season premiere and not just the first taped show.  I stand corrected. :P
Don't stand too quickly. While they don't go super flashy on season premieres or premiere weeks all that much, they still usually have some set decoration in the form of balloons between the doors, the giant pricedown dollar signs with "4X Years" on it, or both.

I know we just told him to not spoil anything from the show, but if strommy is around, it'd be nice to know if there was on-air reference to this being the season premiere because Drew would have most certainly said something at the top of the show about this being the first show of Season 46.

I had the same thinking as you did as most of the current era seasons of Price and LMAD (2010+) have begun on the same day as CBS' primetime programming. However, I think it is more than likely that the season starts on the 18th.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 12:55:58 AM »
Adam, did you happen to catch the show's production number?  Because if it was anything other than 8011K, it wasn't the season premiere.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline strommy

• Outside in Line
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 08:56:58 PM »
I don't believe Drew did. Although, as most of you who have been to tapings know, it is EXTREMELY hard to hear much of anything despite them being miked. I know that Drew and George were bantering during one of the stop downs and mentioned how it was the first show taped of the new season. I know that that doesn't mean it was the season premiere. I also don't have a photographic memory, so with a gun to my head, I could not even attempt to remember the episode number. We went back Thursday for the first taping, which will air October 5, but nothing along the lines of balloons, etc. And yes, I am sorry for revealing one of the games played on the Monday's taping, despite not mentioning the outcome, etc. It won't happen again  :-D

On a totally unrelated note, I feel I can reveal this since it has nothing to do with game play, contestants, etc., George got engaged during the time off from April. That was something Drew and George talked about a lot. And George was so kind to stick around after the taping ended and chat it up with audience members.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:02:08 PM by strommy »