Author Topic: Tape date vs air date....Biggest difference...  (Read 4719 times)

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
Tape date vs air date....Biggest difference...
« on: July 18, 2017, 12:46:53 PM »
Just a general question.  What is the biggest difference between tape date and air date you can recall?  For me, it has to be the start of Season 20 when some of the episodes that were recorded in late April and May didn't air until a few weeks into the new season.  Some of the episodes that aired in October and November of '91 were taped the previous June, making a 5 month difference between tape and air date.  This may explain why the think cues for Race Game, Switcheroo, and Safe Crackers didn't change until mid-season.  I remember hearing the William Tell Overture used for Race Game and the Celebrity Charades remix used for Switcheroo during playing of those games that aired a few days before Christmas 1991 (which leads me to speculate these were some of the first episodes recorded after the summer taping break.   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:54:15 PM by dmaingame »

Offline GSNSmashFan3

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My game show collection.
Re: Tape date vs air date....Biggest difference...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 05:40:14 PM »
The biggest difference that I can recall are the two episodes that were taped in June-July 2005 and were scheduled to air in September-October 2005, but they didn't air until May-June 2006 because they both contained a trip to New Orleans as a prize, and Hurricane Katrina had just come around by the time of their intended airdates.
HYO Winnings:
$46,241.21 (Participated in 6 games; on stage 4 times)

I love Clock Game!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 06:48:54 PM »
#2944D.  It's a half-hour show that was likely taped on June 7, 1978, and as far as anyone knows, it still hasn't been aired.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 06:53:31 PM »
#2944D.  It's a half-hour show that was likely taped on June 7, 1978, and as far as anyone knows, it still hasn't been aired.
#0013D, taped August 1972, never aired.

Actually aired is probably the Katrina episodes referenced above.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 06:54:27 PM »
There was also a show during Season 41 (#6065K) that taped on July 10, 2012 and was intended to air on October 12 of that year, but ended up getting shuffled around numerous times and finally aired on June 25, 2013 (so that's 350 days). Pretty sure that one at least holds the record for the Drew era.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:03:16 PM by TPIRFan2000 »
I hadn't really thought about this before, but the reality of death means that every day there are less people in the world than the day before.  In reality there are many more people in the world than this but for illustration: If one day there are 1000 people in the world and the next day 55 people die, now there are 945 people in the world. if 30 more die the next day now there are 915 people in the world. So we'll eventually become extinct as will all creatures as the same reality applies to dogs, cats, horses etc.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 07:37:09 PM »
Going in the other direction, wasn't there one in the Drew era that aired less than 24 hours after being taped?

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 07:47:13 PM »
I think that was a military special that taped the day Osama Bin Laden was killed and it aired the next day.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 09:20:15 PM »
I think that was a military special that taped the day Osama Bin Laden was killed and it aired the next day.
It was taped the day after he was killed, and before it had even taped CBS announced that it would air the following day, a Tuesday.

There was also a very quick turnaround while Drew was a contestant on Dancing With the Stars so that references to his appearance could be made and that his professional partner, I believe Cheryl Burke, could appear as a guest model. However, I think those turnarounds were of two or three days. Not one.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 12:53:46 AM »
#0013D, taped August 1972, never aired.

Yeah, but that was intentional.  2944D was taped for use on a Magazine day, but then something about the way they handled those days changed and it just never got broadcast.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Gerald78

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 03:40:22 PM »

Sure hope the contestants on that show got their prizes  :-o

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 05:17:25 PM »
Just a general question.  What is the biggest difference between tape date and air date you can recall?  For me, it has to be the start of Season 20 when some of the episodes that were recorded in late April and May didn't air until a few weeks into the new season.  Some of the episodes that aired in October and November of '91 were taped the previous June, making a 5 month difference between tape and air date.  This may explain why the think cues for Race Game, Switcheroo, and Safe Crackers didn't change until mid-season.  I remember hearing the William Tell Overture used for Race Game and the Celebrity Charades remix used for Switcheroo during playing of those games that aired a few days before Christmas 1991 (which leads me to speculate these were some of the first episodes recorded after the summer taping break.

The 20th season premiere from September 9, 1991 was taped in early July, while episodes that aired 2 weeks later were taped in May. Way out of order.

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 12:07:46 AM »
Yes, if i remember right the 20th Season Premiere week was taped in conjunction with the 20th Anniversary Special which aired on a Monday night a few weeks later in late July 1991.  For some reason, that summer sticks out in my memory more than others in spite of only being 8 years old then.  I remember watching news reports on the eruption of Mount Pinatubo, movies like City Slickers, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, and Point Break being in theaters, Ric Flair showing up on WWF programming unannounced while still WCW Champion, and seeing the pilot episodes of Doug and Rugrats on Nickelodeon. 

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 12:39:39 AM »
Yes, if i remember right the 20th Season Premiere week was taped in conjunction with the 20th Anniversary Special which aired on a Monday night a few weeks later in late July 1991.
...huh?

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 01:48:19 AM »

Weren't they well into "Hour Power" by then?  Why would they be taping half-hour episodes in '78?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 02:05:18 AM »
Weren't they well into "Hour Power" by then?  Why would they be taping half-hour episodes in '78?
2944D was taped for use on a Magazine day, but then something about the way they handled those days changed and it just never got broadcast.

I believe Gavazzi answered this. 

Out of curiosity, what were 'Magazine days'?  This is the first time I've ever seen such days referenced.  Were they like the Pillsbury Bake-Off specials in that they necessitated a half hour of TPIR's time slot?
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker