Author Topic: Ten Years Ago Today  (Read 2957 times)

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
Ten Years Ago Today
« on: August 15, 2017, 08:24:54 AM »
On this date in 2007, Drew Carey taped his first episode as host of The Price Is Right. I was fortunate enough to be in the audience that day.

Congratulations to Drew on reaching this milestone. :)

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
Re: Ten Years Ago Today
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 11:59:09 AM »
I still on occasion will go back and watch his first taped episode on YouTube. Regardless of what some people may think, Drew really has come a long way since then, and has improved greatly. Much more comfortable and poised. Congrats, indeed.

Offline Plinkomatic

• In Contestant's Row
  • AKA The One Who No One Gets
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 05:12:33 PM »
What was it like at the taping? What do you remember about it?
You're going to play PLINKOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For a chance to win up to fifty THOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUSAND dollars!

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 06:28:25 PM »
Congratulations, Drew!  You've done what few other people have accomplished: hosted a game show for 10 years and counting.  The traditional format and soul of the show is very much intact. 

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 06:57:25 PM »
What was it like at the taping? What do you remember about it?
I had been to tapings before then, and what took place before the actual show was about the same as I had experienced before. I'm pretty sure practically everyone knew that this was Drew's first day, and one of the pages strongly encouraged us to give him a rousing welcome and a standing ovation. We practiced this outside of the studio and I was specifically asked to stand up and not just applaud. I thought to myself, "A standing ovation on the first day? Has he earned it already?" (I am old-fashioned. :) )

I wish I remembered more about what went on during the commercial breaks. I do recall Drew being asked to say the "The price is wrong, b...." line from Happy Gilmore, which he did right away. Bob really didn't want to say that line off camera; he was asked to do so at a taping I attended prior to that one. He declined.

I also remember that there was a just a lot of "feeling out" and hesitation from the production crew; Drew just did things differently. Of course it was a big change. For examples, Bob would build things up and raise his voice for a reveal. Drew didn't do that, so at times there were some awkward pauses before reveals. Bob would also mix things up when it came to asking for the next contestant and the next item up for bids. Drew didn't do that much either, if at all.

Someone gave Drew a shirt during a break and there was Fingers (Kathy Greco) standing by to take it from him, just as she did for Bob. She seemed just a bit nervous to me though. Again, understandable.

As you can see from what was shown on TV, the studio was packed. And of course Drew had some special guests in the audience.

I haven't been to a taping since, so I'm sure things are quite different now. Back then the production crew still wanted that "live to tape" feeling, so there was much less editing. And that's just one thing.

But it was "an historic moment", or rather, a quite significant day in the six-decade-plus history of Price. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:00:44 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 07:27:15 PM »
Congratulations to Drew!  I wonder if they will have a special episode around October 15 (his aired premiere) celebrating his 10 years hosting Price? 

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 08:13:46 PM »
I feel old now. Thank you. :P

I do recall Drew being asked to say the "The price is wrong, b...." line from Happy Gilmore, which he did right away. Bob really didn't want to say that line off camera; he was asked to do so at a taping I attended prior to that one. He declined.
Barker likely declined in part because the oft-quoted line was not actually his -- it was said by Gilmore, which Barker bookended (following the fight) with something to the effect of "Now you've had enough...[bleep]."

(I find it interesting that the swear filter turns the proper last word into "Prizes".)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:23:27 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Plinkomatic

• In Contestant's Row
  • AKA The One Who No One Gets
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 09:16:50 PM »
I had been to tapings before then, and what took place before the actual show was about the same as I had experienced before. I'm pretty sure practically everyone knew that this was Drew's first day, and one of the pages strongly encouraged us to give him a rousing welcome and a standing ovation. We practiced this outside of the studio and I was specifically asked to stand up and not just applaud. I thought to myself, "A standing ovation on the first day? Has he earned it already?" (I am old-fashioned. :) )

I wish I remembered more about what went on during the commercial breaks. I do recall Drew being asked to say the "The price is wrong, b...." line from Happy Gilmore, which he did right away. Bob really didn't want to say that line off camera; he was asked to do so at a taping I attended prior to that one. He declined.

I also remember that there was a just a lot of "feeling out" and hesitation from the production crew; Drew just did things differently. Of course it was a big change. For examples, Bob would build things up and raise his voice for a reveal. Drew didn't do that, so at times there were some awkward pauses before reveals. Bob would also mix things up when it came to asking for the next contestant and the next item up for bids. Drew didn't do that much either, if at all.

Someone gave Drew a shirt during a break and there was Fingers (Kathy Greco) standing by to take it from him, just as she did for Bob. She seemed just a bit nervous to me though. Again, understandable.

As you can see from what was shown on TV, the studio was packed. And of course Drew had some special guests in the audience.

I haven't been to a taping since, so I'm sure things are quite different now. Back then the production crew still wanted that "live to tape" feeling, so there was much less editing. And that's just one thing.

But it was "an historic moment", or rather, a quite significant day in the six-decade-plus history of Price.

Do they play the music in the studio? If so, what was it like hearing the new theme if it was played?
You're going to play PLINKOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For a chance to win up to fifty THOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUSAND dollars!

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 10:43:01 PM »
Do they play the music in the studio? If so, what was it like hearing the new theme if it was played?
I recall that in the Barker era there was a short piece of music (not the Price theme) played before the show began. As far as Drew's first taping, it was difficult to hear the music played during the actual show.

Back then no music was played during the breaks. I think it's quite different now; I hear the breaks are much longer and I know that there are different people in charge.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 10:47:50 PM »
Reading about the "feelers" the production team had regarding Drew in the beginning makes me wonder how much he rehearsed and prepared before taping his first shows for air. The hosting decision wasn't made that long before his first taping so he didn't get a ton of time to prepare. I remember Drew was clearly nervous and didn't seem overly comfortable the first couple of weeks of shows, but it didn't take him too long to get comfortable.