Author Topic: Why does the FAQ still use the term, Barker's Beauties?  (Read 8104 times)

Offline Plinkomatic

• In Contestant's Row
  • AKA The One Who No One Gets
Re: Why does the FAQ still use the term, Barker's Beauties?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 02:44:50 AM »
Carey's Beauties doesn't sound like a good name either
You're going to play PLINKOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For a chance to win up to fifty THOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUSAND dollars!

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 03:49:04 PM »
Not if it's supposed to be a factual reference.

It is a factual reference.  The models were referred to as "Barker's Beauties" on air until Bob retired.  Continuing to refer to them as such in a fan-managed FAQ that, again, has no official tie to the show is not the atrocious transgression some are making it out to be.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline rick420buzz

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 09:53:50 PM »
Carey's Beauties doesn't sound like a good name either

Carey's Cuties would work, and it would cover the guys, too.

Offline TPIRViewer

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 10:58:58 PM »
Steve has connections to the backstage workings of TPIR that the rest of us will simply never have. If he says the models are still officially called "Barker's Beauties" then they are. He would know. I'm guessing they are still referred to as that in the scripts for each episode/taping.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:01:22 PM by TPIRViewer »

Offline Plinkomatic

• In Contestant's Row
  • AKA The One Who No One Gets
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 12:45:57 AM »
Carey's Cuties would work, and it would cover the guys, too.

Hmm... I guess it would. Barker's Beauties and Carey's Cuties. Alliteration always makes things catchy.
You're going to play PLINKOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For a chance to win up to fifty THOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUSAND dollars!

Online Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 07:26:48 AM »
Steve has connections to the backstage workings of TPIR that the rest of us will simply never have. If he says the models are still officially called "Barker's Beauties" then they are. He would know. I'm guessing they are still referred to as that in the scripts for each episode/taping.
I'd strongly guess that you are very wrong about at least half of this.

Ask yourself a question:  Why on Earth would the show refer to the models as "Barker's Beauties" on a casting sheet (they don't and probably never ever did) when any on air reference to Bob has been removed, save the name of the studio in the intro?  The games with his names are either retired or renamed.  Redesigning a game costs a heck of a lot more money than text on a piece of paper.   

How hard is it to accept that it was just a nickname Bob used for the models, and it went out of existence the day he retired?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 01:16:05 PM »

Steve never said anything like that.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 11:53:33 PM »
My two cents.

It can be argued that it's the name of the position. Studio 33 is named Studio 33, but can be (and is) referred to the Bob Barker Studio because it was ceremonially named that. I'm at a lack of examples at this moment, but there are plenty of things, places, items, and positions that have an antiquated name because it remained in place after things changed.

That doesn't mean it's always a good thing. Names have changed because they were offensive or ill-fitting and I can see that case here. But honestly, isn't modelling in itself an objectifying action. The number of times James' shirtless body is referenced, or contestants looking for a kiss from Rachel or Amber. If you want to make everything right, drop the models, not just the name of what we call them in an FAQ section.

I think it's fine as a ceremonial name to refer to the current ones since so many references are made to Barker and this was also an iconic aspect of the show's canonization into television sainthood. But I'm also an awful human being, so...
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 07:33:24 AM »
Bargain Game and Make Your Mark started out as Barker's Bargain Bar and Barker's Marker$, respectively, and then there was Trader Bob, a long-forgotten game from the 1980s, so I think it makes sense that the current models continue to be called Barker's Beauties, even if as an honorary title, as Rachel and Gwendolyn are the only two in the current group who worked under Bob while he still hosted the show. However, Drew is staking his own claim on the show, what with Carey's Card Club for the revamped Card Game, so Carey's Cuties may become a thing as well, but it doesn't have nearly the same ring as Barker's Beauties.

Online Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 09:32:28 AM »
Drew has had 10 years to call the models "Carey's Cuties" and he has not done so.  Why would he start now?  If anything, he's very careful to refer to the models by their full names throughout the show.

Offline NSfarmers

• In the Audience
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 09:07:01 PM »
Why so butthurt over a simple reference? It's no big deal. I guess some people have so much time on their hands. Carry on Steve with the good work you do.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2017, 12:33:18 AM »
so Carey's Cuties may become a thing as well

It won't.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2017, 12:34:01 AM »
Why so butthurt over a simple reference?

As much as I disagree with Isucgv, this is an incredibly inappropriate thing to say to him.  Do not do this again.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 02:17:15 PM »
"Barker's Beauties" is a term that was largely considered acceptable in the early days of the show. Now, not so much. Calling people "beauties" (an objectification) rather than "models" (a job) is rather demeaning, as is using "Barker's" as a possessive, implying control or ownership. Since Drew took over, he's consciously tried to treat the models more as his equals, so I very much doubt he would approve of a similar term being used.

It was a different time, and we can accept that while also acknowledging that we shouldn't be holding onto a term like "Barker's Beauties" just because of tradition. And I think that continuing to use it, particularly when it's an easy change to make, is a pretty poor look.

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2017, 11:43:04 PM »
In the right circles, James could be a beauty.