Author Topic: Things Drew does right and things he doesn't do right  (Read 6815 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Things Drew does right and things he doesn't do right
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 10:38:47 PM »
Fun Fact: That station wagon very well could've been a Mercedes-Benz station wagon

Fun Fact:  You're intentionally missing the point.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 11:15:30 PM »
I'm disappointed that Drew's hosting of Safe Crackers is still pretty lackluster.  In explaining the rules, he either severely downplays or outright neglects to highlight that the "price of the small prize is the combination of the safe".  That is the whole point of the game, and when Drew glosses over that fact, the charm of the game suffers.

To add insult to injury, Drew frequently and unceremoniously spins the lock himself before telling the contestant to try to open the door.  On those rare occasions when he actually has the player spin the lock, it's done in a way that is completely out of context with the spirit of the game:  set the combo of the lock, spin the lock, and pull the door to see if you "cracked the safe".

Drew has shown that he can be a very good host at times, but it's the little things like this that still bug me.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 10:15:55 AM »
Switch? - Some may find this annoying, but I like the joke with the models running into each other.
This is really old now.  Just have the models quickly switch the price tags and reveal.  The models go so slowly now, the music is too short.  Many times they aren't even halfway and the music ends.[/quote]

Definitely how he hosts Switcheroo. I hate that he says the small prizes don't matter and the contestant should focus mostly on the car.
The contestant never listens to his advice anyway.  They almost always just stick a number in for the car before fumbling around with the other blocks.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 04:18:37 PM »
The contestant never listens to his advice anyway.  They almost always just stick a number in for the car before fumbling around with the other blocks.

Which is still wrong! :lol:
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline greg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 06:00:47 PM »
The explanation of Now or Then drives me crazy.... he absolutely refuses to say 3 in a row.....
I also wish he wouldn't downplay Secret X by saying "it's just tic tac toe"
Otherwise I like seeing how excited he gets with winners.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 12:52:58 AM »
[Drew warning the Switch! models not to run into each other] is really old now.  Just have the models quickly switch the price tags and reveal.

Not as old as Bob saying the range finder can't be started again for 37 hours.  Or doing two fakeouts on the reveal of the final number in Temptation before pressing the button.  Or acting annoyed that contestants didn't know the rules to Check Game.  Or any number of other habits.

Offline publisher

• In the Audience
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 10:09:31 PM »
Does properly? Drew is a truly affable guy and I think a good bit of his reverence for the show, contestants and games shines through.

After watching the clip of Gridlock's premiere, though, I definitely would prefer a thorough explanation of rules and maybe, just maybe, a little bit more formality overall in discussing everyday policy and procedures. I understand there's a lot of pressure to move things along, but extra time is definitely warranted when a new game is introduced.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 05:03:53 PM »
Here's my take on the best and worst of Drew:

Best: In One Away, he always has contestants ask the mighty sound effects lady how many numbers they have right. Always fun to watch.

Worst: During the GP portion of Let em Roll, it irks me when he asks if the current product is more expensive or less expensive than the one before it. Sure, he does it, though rarely, in some SP games (Bonus Game and Punch-a-Bunch, to name a few), and thankfully he never does it in Dice Game (it simply wouldn't work for that game), but that's the one thing that has always irritated me.

In retrospect, we all have to agree that Drew is making the show his own in the post-Barker days. Let's not waste another minute wishing that he were more like Bob, because that's the one thing the WGMC himself told him not to do in the beginning, and so far it has worked out very well.

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 09:16:04 PM »
I enjoy Drew very much, but there is one small thing that is the nit-ist of nitpicks.

I don't think he gives the entrance the proper gravitas it deserves. Doors open, half a second later he's already throwing it to George. Bob would always pause for a second after the doors opened, do his arms throw thing, then start walking to the mic.

Again, it's a small and useless nitpick, but it still drives me crazy.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 10:21:31 PM »
As nitpicky as this sounds, my favorite aspect of Drew Carey’s hosting is on the game Cover Up. Instead of asking the sound effects people whether the contestant has won or lost on the very last number, he simply reveals the price, which in my opinion, is more dramatic.

Offline tpir7215

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 11:32:04 AM »
Fun Fact: In my example, it wasn't.
Just saying.

But off the topic of station wagons (which I actually found out Porsche also makes the Panamera in a wagon now), I kinda like how Drew acts when he first mentions a pair of grocery items in Stack the Deck when said items in that pair don't go together (for example, floor cleaner and spaghetti)

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 04:47:07 PM »
What doesn't he do well? Simple. He fails to add gravity to any situation. Bob Barker was the king of this. Barker could make every last situation feel like it was the most important thing in the world. "Wouldn't it be something..." "Hold on just a minute..." "This is a historic moment!"

Exactly!

Watching the Barker era of Price was an event, where Bob could make ANYTHING important or special a moment in time kind of event.  Encouraging viewers to watch daily, to learn the games and strategies of good playing.  You had Contestants, the Studio Audience, and the Home Viewers emotionally connected to the event.  Bob even mentioned about Drew once, that he just seems to be "A nice guy who is there to give away prizes."  The excitement can be there in isolated moments.  But the magic that encouraged daily viewing in the Bob era is gone.

I love Drew on One Away with the Sound Effects Lady moments.  He does this game better than Bob!  Big fan of him on Rat Race, and Cliff Hangers!  I wish Hurdles! would come back, Drew would have a blast with this game and would offer great commentary!  I just know it!

I don't like the predictability that Drew holds on to certain elements of the show for the last decade.  Why do we have to say Hi to George Gray every single show?  Why do people have to say "Hi" to others at the wheel all the time?  Ten years and we are still reminded to "Don't Go Away" after almost each cut to commercial.  That's boring.  It still remains that when Drew cares, he is let's say a solid B.  But if he doesn't care it is so painfully obvious.  If Drew is in a D grade hosting day, I can feel it throughout the show.

Joe