Author Topic: Mobile version  (Read 5530 times)

Offline pete1974

• Walking the Golden Road
Mobile version
« on: August 13, 2017, 04:23:44 PM »
Is there a reason I can't access this site on my smartphone anymore.

Am I now required to download that dumb TapaTalk app?

Offline Mr. Weatherman

Re: Mobile version
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 04:55:12 PM »
Try clearing your cache.  I was still getting the "please contact the owner of this site" error message on my phone's browser until I cleared cache.  Works fine now.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 05:56:00 AM »
Am I the only person who doesn't hate the Tapatalk app for browsing the site while on the go?
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 08:16:17 AM »
Am I the only person who doesn't hate the Tapatalk app for browsing the site while on the go?

Yes. :P

Although to be fair, it's been probably since it first became an option a few years ago that I last tried it, so my opinion is based on a now three-year-old experience.

On that same note, mobile browsing has improved leaps and bounds as smartphone technology has progressed, so viewing the site on my phone's browser really isn't that much different of an experience than it is on a desktop.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:22:45 AM by PayingTheRent »

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 11:56:23 AM »
See, I don't know how it is on iOS, but on Android, the desktop version of the site looks like complete garbage. So many mismatched font sizes everywhere; it's a mess.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 12:33:32 PM »
I view from Chrome on iOS and it's quite decent.  The only issues I have tend to arise whenever I'm attempting to quote another user and want to omit part of the text or during other text-related editing/deleting.  The iOS UI contains a few minor bugs when highlighting specific portions of text to copy/paste or delete.  Often, it will highlight the entirety of the text instead of the portion you're trying to select, which can be a royal pain in the arse.  This used to not be the case pre-iOS 9 (IIRC, that's when the issue started).  Hopefully iOS 11 will finally address it.

As for how the site displays, it's pretty much just as clean as the desktop version.  There are a few minor font discrepancies, but iOS does a good job getting around them with its formatting.  In many ways, I actually tend to prefer the look and feel of the iOS rendering of the site over desktop.

A few years ago, I had a Galaxy S3, and I remember having quite a few issues with trying to get the site to display properly.  It was cool being able to access Flash chat from my phone, as terrible as the interface was on such a small screen. :P