Author Topic: Record number of perfect one-bids in one show  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Ted

• TPiR Alumnus
Record number of perfect one-bids in one show
« on: August 14, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »
I seem to recall watching a show many years ago on which Bob mentioned that the record for the most perfect bids in Contestant's Row in one show was 4. However, at a taping I attended in the early 2000s, he asks the same question to Roger on the air and Roger's response was that the record was 3.

Does anyone know if there was ever a show with 4 perfect bids, or if the record is indeed 3?

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Record number of perfect one-bids in one show
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 02:45:06 PM »
I think it was a 1983 episode when Bob said the record was 4.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 01:32:34 AM »
Wasn't there an episode in 1990 or 91 where there were three consecutive perfect one-bids in row?  On the third one, the bell went off and Bob either didn't hear it or wasn't paying attention and began reading the ARP card.  So the sound effects operator hit the key for the clangs/whoops.  Bob did hear that and wisecracked, "What was that sound?  I haven't heard that since the last time I was arrested." (though Bob has never been arrested) I don't ever recall seeing an episode with 4 perfect one-bids. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:41:40 AM by dmaingame »

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 05:01:25 AM »
Wasn't there an episode in 1990 or 91 where there were three consecutive perfect one-bids in row?  On the third one, the bell went off and Bob either didn't hear it or wasn't paying attention and began reading the ARP card.  So the sound effects operator hit the key for the clangs/whoops.  Bob did hear that and wisecracked, "What was that sound?  I haven't heard that since the last time I was arrested." (though Bob has never been arrested) I don't ever recall seeing an episode with 4 perfect one-bids.
I KNEW I wasn't imagining that episode! I knew it had to be late 80s or early 90s, since Bob had gray hair, but the Turntable still had green borders and the green carpet, I remember that much...
* The clangs/whoops was on the first.
* The second one had the sound guy hit the "all overbid" key by mistake, then played the perfect bid bells, leading Bob to ask if they were just randomly testing the sounds out.
* The third had the proper sound effect, and Bob actually heard it. Then he joked, "Rod, you better print up some more $100 bills"
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 05:03:34 AM by blozier2006 »

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 10:23:04 AM »
Original air date: October 14, 1991.

Offline Ted

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 08:34:58 AM »
Yep, I was at that taping. I'm in the blue shirt in the last seat in the first row. :-)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 08:37:37 AM by Ted »

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 07:18:23 PM »
Yup. I saw you holding up the tennis ball that came flying out of the tennis machine.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 11:34:34 PM »
Good info.  Never knew you (Ted) caught a tennis ball from one of those Lobster Tennis Ball Serving Machines they used to offer as IUFBs frequently then.  During this taping it also looks like fellow LFAT George Hoekstra is sitting a few seats to the left of you in the red sweatshirt. 

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 12:29:19 AM »
Well, the record was 3 very early on after the $100 bonus was added, it happened on this show aired 5/31/77.  As a matter of fact, this probably was the first time it had happened 3 times in one show, based on what Bob says at the start of Act Five.