Author Topic: Other composers for music cues?  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Ian16545

• In the Audience
Other composers for music cues?
« on: August 21, 2017, 04:53:08 AM »
I felt this could use a reboot:

You all know about Edd Kalehoff, Michael Karp, Score Productions, Killer Tracks, and other famous hits here and there comprising most of Price's soundtrack, but I hear music elsewhere that makes me think of the show. That got me to thinking: what other composers (other than those listed above) make you think of Price's music—and, in the process, would make good cues?

My short list:
  • Dean Elliott
  • Joe Raposo
  • Charles Fox
  • Takanori Arisawa

Offline Plinkomatic

• In Contestant's Row
  • AKA The One Who No One Gets
Re: Other composers for music cues?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 01:29:09 PM »
I felt this could use a reboot:

You all know about Edd Kalehoff, Michael Karp, Score Productions, Killer Tracks, and other famous hits here and there comprising most of Price's soundtrack, but I hear music elsewhere that makes me think of the show. That got me to thinking: what other composers (other than those listed above) make you think of Price's music—and, in the process, would make good cues?

My short list:
  • Dean Elliott
  • Joe Raposo
  • Charles Fox
  • Takanori Arisawa

What about Jonathan Wolff? His portfolio is amazing.
You're going to play PLINKOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For a chance to win up to fifty THOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUSAND dollars!

Offline RatGnawedCheez

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 05:26:37 PM »
JAM Creative Productions - particularly their '70s work.   Mainly known for radio jingles, but have also done some TV imaging campaigns including ABC's "Still the One".   Their Dallas crosstown rival TM Studios could also apply.

Patrick Williams - his cues for The Mary Tyler Moore Show sound like they could have easily come from TPiR

Alf Clausen (The Simpsons) - big orchestral sound, very versatile

Walter Murphy (Family Guy) - ditto

Mike Post (many 70s-90s crime dramas) - His Magnum PI theme is funky and brassy enough for TPiR

And these aren't generally in the TV music business, but they've made music with similar flavors...
Nile Rodgers (Chic, other disco hits, Daft Punk's "Get Lucky")
Daft Punk (speaking of the devil)
Mark Ronson ("Uptown Funk")
Pharrell Williams (many modern hits inspired by '70s-80s funk/R&B)
Timbaland (particularly because of his work with Justin Timberlake)

Also agree with Charles Fox (he started at Score after all) and Joe Raposo.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 05:33:01 PM by RatGnawedCheez »

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 06:01:27 PM »
I've long been a fan of Gordon Goodwin--jazz pianist and big band arranger. This track in particular reminds me a bit of the Card Sharks theme:

Online Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 09:12:08 AM »
I don't know if this is G-T specific or Price specific, but ...

Didn't Merv Griffin once release an album of some of the cues he composed for use on "Wheel of Fortune"?

I know that, at various times, there's been uploaded the cues "Frisco Disco" (the theme to the 1978 "All New Jeopardy!" but when used on "Wheel," was truncated slightly at the beginning (to delete the horn fanfare)), "A Time for Tony" (the light piano fare that builds toward a triumphant end) and "Walking On Sunset" (a saxophone-dominated tune), among others. The shopping cue "Nightwalk" has also been heard ... but what about the others?

And we can't forget Alan Thicke and his original set of prize cues for "Wheel," including the most familiar one, "Happy Sax," which often looped during extended prize descriptions. (The cue, IIRC, was around 45 seconds but looped back to the beginning just before completion if it reached that point.) That one was probably the best cue.

So ... my answers are Merv Griffin and Alan Thicke.

Brian

Online Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 03:14:12 PM »
Forgot to add Stan Worth.

Brian

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 04:21:56 PM »
I see your Stan Worth and I raise you Mort Garson.

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 12:25:12 AM »
This reminds me: does anyone know the composer(s) and/or the name of the Pay the Rent cue is?