Author Topic: Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much  (Read 43173 times)

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much
« on: August 27, 2017, 05:50:35 AM »
There's a documentary about Ted?! How have we not been talking about this? It's made with Fremantle's blessing, and both Bob and Roger are being interviewed.

http://www.facebook.com/perfectbiddocumentary

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 09:47:01 AM »
I didn't expect Fremantle to be so open about this. Remember, they did accuse him of cheating.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 09:58:12 AM »
First discussed in May, but it seems quite a few things have happened since then.

I completely understand Roger being involved with this, but why Barker?

I didn't expect Fremantle to be so open about this. Remember, they did accuse him of cheating.
I had thought it was strictly a few individuals at the show.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:02:46 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
I didn't expect Fremantle to be so open about this.

Only those involved could give the real reason for their approval, but I would suspect it falls along these lines: Documentary about a Price Is Right superfan gets the show good attention, maybe even the kind of attention that gets people to watch the show more and (more importantly) follow their social media stuff.  Surely there will be those who are trying to "crack the code" so they can get on the show and break the bank, yet as we all know, the rotation and turnover of prizes has become much larger and shorter respetively since the perfect bid incident; thus, there's no real significant risk of the same kind of event happening again.  I suppose somebody could really do their homework and happen to get really lucky if he gets on the show, but the odds of that are much lower than what they used to be.  In the end, the show gets a bunch of good publicity that didn't cost them much, if anything.

I completely understand Roger being involved with this, but why Barker?

Why not Barker?  Putting him in there only adds to the draw this thing can have.  Plus, Barker gets to remind people he's still out there fighting for animals, but more to the point, I'm sure he would have some amusing anecdotes relevant to the subject to share.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 01:49:44 PM »
First discussed in May, but it seems quite a few things have happened since then.

Ah so there was an earlier thread. Sorry. I searched for one but I guess I didn't go back far enough.

Offline fortyfps

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 10:05:45 PM »
hello!

to answer one or two things -- fremantle had to get approval from the current show-staff to license us the broadcast footage, which admittedly took some time and back & forth...i have only been speaking with one person at the company and he's been great. They even gave me a break on the price, but for an independent production it is still fairly expensive per minute - and we need a decent amount, so that's potentially another reason why it was approved, on top of the other reasons you all cited. we are announcing the first screening date tomorrow as well! i am certain you all will enjoy it.

cjw

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 03:00:07 PM »
I'm wondering if the licensing on the footage was only for footage that made air. Be interesting to see some of the footage from the 45 minute stopdown, if any exists.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 04:15:30 PM »
I think it's worth mentioning for the record again that on a good authority Steve knows, the stopdown was no more than 20 minutes.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 05:26:04 PM »
Only those involved could give the real reason for their approval, but I would suspect it falls along these lines: Documentary about a Price Is Right superfan gets the show good attention, maybe even the kind of attention that gets people to watch the show more and (more importantly) follow their social media stuff.
[...]
In the end, the show gets a bunch of good publicity that didn't cost them much, if anything.
I would normally agree, but considering that Ted was immediately and permanently banned from the show following that taping (hence the title of this documentary), I suspect one hand may be unaware of what the other is doing.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 02:48:21 AM »

Offline fortyfps

• In the Audience
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 11:48:18 PM »
hello!
an update on the film!
we have a website and a North America wide theatrical run being put together with some of the dates announced already - and we will be out world wide  early next year! come out and see us if we are in your city - perfectbidmovie.com

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 06:01:38 PM »
Come on, Ottawa, ON.  You can't hit smaller Canadian cities and leave out the nation's capital!  ;)

If this shows up in my neighbourhood, I may just pull out the three name tags I have from the tapings I attended and wear them all to the screening.  A far cry from Ted's thirty-seven but would make for some fun nonetheless.
4. All prizes are good.

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 08:00:12 PM »
Are you going to release this on Blu-Ray, DVD, and/or online because it showed where I lived and I would like to see it
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 08:26:54 PM »
I'm attending a screening in Vernon, Connecticut, on December 30th. I can't wait for this.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:29:55 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 09:32:06 PM »
I see both Kevin Pollak and Drew are credited for the documentary. Is it safe to say that this footage will be used?

(This was posted five years ago, but just in case anyone hasn't seen it... some of the language is NSFW - it's Drew and Kevin Pollak discussing the perfect bid as well as all the changes in season 37, Roger's firing and this board's reaction to all of the above.)