Author Topic: Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much  (Read 43172 times)

Offline fortyfps

• In the Audience
Re: Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 11:07:03 PM »
- we have reached out to ottawa recently, so hopefully something soon!
- yes, we have world distribution and will be out around spring next year and
- yes, kevin has given us permission for a few moments from that interview!

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 12:59:46 AM »
Considering that now the show varies their prizes significantly more, imagine the amount of controversy that would rise if we had another exact bid in the Showcases

Offline Ted

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 09:07:19 AM »
Considering that now the show varies their prizes significantly more, imagine the amount of controversy that would rise if we had another exact bid in the Showcases

I only watch the show on very rare occasions, but from what I have seen, the powers that be seem to know how to set up the showcases to avoid ever having another perfect bid.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 09:16:29 AM »
Except the fact there shouldn’t be any controversy at all, and shouldn’t have been the first time.  The nature of the show rewards those who know the prices of products.  If there’s going to be a controversy every time someone does that, then something has to change.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 08:31:28 PM »
I only watch the show on very rare occasions, but from what I have seen, the powers that be seem to know how to set up the showcases to avoid ever having another perfect bid.

It's an incredibly simple trick, too. With a quick glance, I only see one showcase in Season 45 that could've been DSW'd with a -000 bid (that is to say, ARP mod 1000 < 251). And it was over $48,000.

Offline Ted

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 08:43:34 AM »
It's an incredibly simple trick, too. With a quick glance, I only see one showcase in Season 45 that could've been DSW'd with a -000 bid (that is to say, ARP mod 1000 < 251). And it was over $48,000.

I was specifically referring to a perfect bid, not a DSW, but you bring up an interesting point. The probability of what you mentioned happening by chance has to be incredibly small, so it would seem that they are definitely going out of their way to avoid giving away double showcases.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 06:01:14 PM »
Ironically, it's the show's fault for putting out nearly the same prizes almost every week. Eventually someone was going to nail the showcase on the nose.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 08:56:01 PM »
I was specifically referring to a perfect bid, not a DSW, but you bring up an interesting point. The probability of what you mentioned happening by chance has to be incredibly small, so it would seem that they are definitely going out of their way to avoid giving away double showcases.
Season 39 had ten DSWs (two in three days one time). Something that has to be a modern day record, certainly one of the Drew/Mike era. It's believed that because of that season they began paying attention to the endings of showcases and putting on add-ons to avoid such a large amount of DSWs. I don't think it's really been "confirmed", but it's pretty much all but certain.

They don't completely avoid it. There are probably what could best be described as a "handful" of examples of showcases since Season 41 that have ended 000-250, but it something that a lot of current CSS players took note of during Season 40 and 41.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 09:21:23 PM »
Season 39 had ten DSWs (two in three days one time). Something that has to be a modern day record, certainly one of the Drew/Mike era. It's believed that because of that season they began paying attention to the endings of showcases and putting on add-ons to avoid such a large amount of DSWs. I don't think it's really been "confirmed", but it's pretty much all but certain.

They don't completely avoid it. There are probably what could best be described as a "handful" of examples of showcases since Season 41 that have ended 000-250, but it something that a lot of current CSS players took note of during Season 40 and 41.

I actually have noticed those occasional exacta-friendly showcases as well (especially ones with -000 and -500 endings)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 10:05:21 PM »
They don't completely avoid it.

No, but it's happened fewer than 10 times in the last five years, so they might as well.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline fortyfps

• In the Audience
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 04:57:29 PM »
on bob barkers birthday, we have received final permission from fremantle & those involved with the show, so the documentary will live on and be released world-wide april 2018! we have our Hollywood premiere screening + Q&A (with a few special guests in the crowd) on the 18th at the Arhya Fine Arts theatre on Wilshire. Love to have you all come out! 

Offline kslingo

• Outside in Line
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2017, 03:30:25 PM »
See you all tonight at the Vernon, CT screening!! Tickets are still available go to perfectbidmovie.com

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 03:25:57 PM »

I think that the perfect bid begin to add more abstract things like"Groceries for a Year."  Things that would be so far out of left field that they would be near impossible to price with strong accuracy.  The Barker era would never do that.  The goal of that era was to reward contestants for smart shopping and pricing.  It seems that the goal of the Drew era is to create randomness in set-ups and game play to avoid consistent good gaming strategy. 

I don't watch the show that much anymore because the magic is no longer thee.  But if they have a new game or I hear a big event happened, I will watch.  Sadly, Drew does not even encourage regular viewing like Bob did. 

Joe

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 05:45:39 PM »
I would fully support some type of physical or digital release of this once the tour is over. :)
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 06:12:06 PM »
I think that the perfect bid begin to add more abstract things like"Groceries for a Year."  Things that would be so far out of left field that they would be near impossible to price with strong accuracy.  The Barker era would never do that.  The goal of that era was to reward contestants for smart shopping and pricing.  It seems that the goal of the Drew era is to create randomness in set-ups and game play to avoid consistent good gaming strategy. 

I don't watch the show that much anymore because the magic is no longer thee.  But if they have a new game or I hear a big event happened, I will watch.  Sadly, Drew does not even encourage regular viewing like Bob did. 

Joe

^This.

I remember Bob saying during a Million Dollar Spectacular to the viewers "if it wasn't for your loyalty, we wouldn't have been on CBS all these years and we know it!"