Author Topic: Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much  (Read 43176 times)

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 09:44:17 PM »
Speaking of which, you should all mark your calendars down for February 21 (it's on the newsletter) as Roger and CJ will be on Stu's Show together to talk about this documentary in detail (plus screening clips), and yes, the show is now internet television in video format, so you can all watch the show (but you can listen in audio format as well). Should be a good one when that day comes!

Offline WeTryHarder

• Outside in Line
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 10:02:03 PM »
I think that the perfect bid begin to add more abstract things like"Groceries for a Year."  Things that would be so far out of left field that they would be near impossible to price with strong accuracy.  The Barker era would never do that.  The goal of that era was to reward contestants for smart shopping and pricing....

Except the show never uses "for a year" prizes in games that require pricing the prize or the Showcases - only as part of prize packages in grocery or small item games.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 10:04:26 AM »
^This.

I remember Bob saying during a Million Dollar Spectacular to the viewers "if it wasn't for your loyalty, we wouldn't have been on CBS all these years and we know it!"

You know, the more I hear people bring up stuff like this, the more it seems to me like a bunch of butthurt from a group of people who the show doesn't pander to incessantly anymore (which, by the way, is at least partly due to the actions of a couple of different current and former members of this board, but I digress).

I was thinking about this last night, and it struck me that at least a little bit of the whole "LFaT" thing during Bob's tenure on the show was in part to stroke his massive ego. He knew that if he could groom people to watch the show religiously and follow every little thing he did like the gospel truth that it would equal more adulation for him in the long run.

Don't get me wrong--I was born in 1985 and watched Barker's version of the show for as long as I can remember, so I'm not totally against Bob. But truthfully, I believe Drew and his crew have made the show more accessible to a general audience. It's not just the show anymore for the Bob Barker Fan Club. It's everyone's show now.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2018, 12:41:04 AM »
Er...really? I won't dispute that Bob's ego is the size of Texas, but the idea that he was trying to indoctrinate members of the audience like a cult leader...please.

Bob was a veteran broadcaster and knew which side his bread was buttered on, which was of course CBS and Goodson/Todman (and later Fremantle). His thanking people for their loyalty and asking people to watch every day was nothing more than trying to drum up ratings and ad revenue for his bosses. And more importantly, he always knew when to step back and give the contestants the spotlight...because again, while he may have a big head, he was still smart enough to realize that the game show biz is about people first and foremost.

As for Drew not bothering to ask people to watch every day...there's really no point, considering most people just can't anymore. There are no more housewives at home all day watching daytime TV like there were in 1972. Outside of old folks in nursing homes, the only time most people are watching is if they have an increasingly rare day off from work. Roger damn well knew this too, which is why he got away with reusing the same grocery products and prizes over and over again for years.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2018, 09:18:41 AM »
As for Drew not bothering to ask people to watch every day...there's really no point, considering most people just can't anymore. There are no more housewives at home all day watching daytime TV like there were in 1972. Outside of old folks in nursing homes, the only time most people are watching is if they have an increasingly rare day off from work. Roger damn well knew this too, which is why he got away with reusing the same grocery products and prizes over and over again for years.

I'm sorry, but this is just patently false.  1) There are still plenty of stay-at-home moms and dads out there, or they'd just program the test pattern during the day.  2) Even more people have DVRs, VCRs, or some such device that allows them to watch every day (how do you think I do it?)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2018, 05:08:28 PM »
Not to mention people that work from home, college students who don't have class when the show is on, and the unemployed/between jobs.

The show is accessible now because it's adapted to the modern world of social media and having buzzworthy and viral moments that get people interested and talking about the show. People watched the show and made the trip to be on the show because they loved the show and grew up watching it and loving Bob, and Drew's been hosting long enough that now there's people who grew up watching and loving him host too. Both Bob and Drew know/knew that the contestants are the factor that make or break a show.

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2018, 12:58:52 AM »
Not to mention people that work from home, college students who don't have class when the show is on, and the unemployed/between jobs.

Plus the fact that the show uploads full episodes to cbs.com along with Youtube user TVLubber3 occasionally uploading memorable highlights from certain episodes (such as big wins, bloopers, "historic moments" as Bob would call them, etc) and various other Youtube users uploading episodes and/or parts of them.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2018, 11:48:14 AM »
I'm sorry, but this is just patently false.  1) There are still plenty of stay-at-home moms and dads out there, or they'd just program the test pattern during the day.  2) Even more people have DVRs, VCRs, or some such device that allows them to watch every day (how do you think I do it?)

Certainly there are plenty of people at home, though it isn't an "either/or" situation: the numbers have decreased over time when examined over decades. Be they stay-at-home parents, workers on non-traditional shifts/schedules, work-at-home types, students, etc. Some of those latter groups might be "regular" viewers in the more modern definition of "regular," being 2-3 day a week viewers.

Of course, coupled with more ways to watch Price (or any other currently programmed "linear" TV show), there are the Netflix services of the world, "on demand," smart TVs with the ability to access internet content, and on it goes. Any program today operates in a radically different landscape than just 10 years ago, let alone 20, 30 or 40. That necessitates doing things differently, and to Price's credit, they've rolled with the times to, as someone so well stated it, make it accessible. It has the familiar elements, but packaged in a way that works well for newer audiences overall. That's a darned hard thing to pull off particularly in "mid-stream" so to speak, and they deserve props for that. 

Offline fortyfps

• In the Audience
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2018, 12:45:17 PM »

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »

This movie is going to be released the day after my 29th birthday
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2018, 02:07:07 PM »
Is it only going to be on Blu-ray? I don't have a single device in my house that plays them.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline fortyfps

• In the Audience
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2018, 04:52:05 PM »
we will be on all the main digital stores and netflix either the same day, or shortly thereafter

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2018, 11:10:14 PM »
What about DVD?  I prefer owning my music and movies on physical media but I don't have a Blu-Ray player (and have no plans or desire to buy one).
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2018, 11:57:40 PM »
What about DVD?  I prefer owning my music and movies on physical media but I don't have a Blu-Ray player (and have no plans or desire to buy one).

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline fortyfps

• In the Audience
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2018, 06:15:36 PM »
i believe they will be releasing standard definition versions as well. i have also been sourcing around to find a place that will do a few collector VHS editions, for those who'd appreciate and/or need the novelty