Author Topic: February 1, 1985  (Read 2483 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
February 1, 1985
« on: September 03, 2017, 07:52:11 PM »
This episode is courtesy of our own Chelsea Thrasher.

"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: February 1, 1985
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 10:41:01 AM »
Noted some observations - could use a change in the Timeline as the yellow slips on Punch a Bunch were in place by this point and the opening titles are still behaving like they did in Season 8 as of this episode (they were changed by the time Tom Kennedy's version began taping).

I wonder when they officially stopped playing for tickets to all LA sports teams... now that they're all back I think they should start doing that again someday.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 10:13:57 PM »
I wonder when they officially stopped playing for tickets to all LA sports teams... now that they're all back I think they should start doing that again someday.

A whole lot of good tickets to the Dodgers would be to someone who doesn't live in Los Angeles, and/or is not a baseball fan.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »
I never liked the season tickets a lot as pricing game prizes, although at least in Race Game the contestants stood a fair chance of winning some of them. Take Two and Danger Price, which also used them, were a lot harder and really demanded that the contestants know the tickets' prices.

A lot of you who have watched the show over the years will remember Bob sometimes saying "I don't know the prices of any of these things..." but in this case he seemed pretty sure. I'm not sure you could assume most contestants know how many home games each sport tends to have, but as you can see in this Race Game playing, Bob certainly didn't refrain from rubbing it in when he knew and the contestants didn't!

Online Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 02:12:51 PM »
Great to hear them play "I Love L.A." for Showcase #2 and during the closing credits--written and performed by Randy Newman of "Short People" fame.

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 06:34:39 PM »
Sometime between this show and June-ish 1985, the CBS eye curtains in Studio 33 changed from their yellowish hue seen here to red-on-white.

Some math about the season tix (and how each team did then):
Dodgers: $12 a ticket (81 games) - Had a good 1985, winning the NL West
Kings: $18.45 a ticket (40 games) - A blah season, but they made the playoffs only to see an early exit
Lakers: $27.66 a ticket (41 games) - 1984-85 NBA Champions
Raiders: $55(!) a ticket (8 games) - The 1985 AFC West champs, but were one-and-done in the playoffs
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 06:40:29 PM by jlgarfield »

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 11:49:44 AM »
A whole lot of good tickets to the Dodgers would be to someone who doesn't live in Los Angeles, and/or is not a baseball fan.

More recently, the Drew Carey-era offered, in various showcases, different season ticket packages to major league/professional teams. But these were different offerings, in that only one sport was offered and that it could apply to any favorite sports team. For instance, one showcase offered NHL season tickets ... and if you lived in the Midwest, you might pick the Chicago Blackhawks, or Detroit Red Wings, or St. Louis Blues, etc.

As it should be. The show would just pony up to a maximum amount for the season package.

Brian