Author Topic: 45 Years Ago Today  (Read 4165 times)

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
45 Years Ago Today
« on: September 04, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »
The current version of The Price Is Right that we all know and love aired for the first time back in 1972. Here's to many more years! :)

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: 45 Years Ago Today
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:36:37 AM »
As a tribute this morning I watched the very first Joker's Wild at 10am, then The "New" Price is Right first episode at 10:30am.

I watched a Gambit episode at 11am.  Unfortunately the first one from 9/4/72 doesn't seem to be available online.

Price still going strong, soon to begin season 46 and Drew about to begin his second decade already as host.  Drew took my dream job, and I dare say many others of us consider hosting Price is Right a dream job too.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 12:10:15 PM »
Back on September 4, 1972, I doubt anyone associated with The Price Is Right would've expected it to have a run of 46 years.  I think the producers maybe expected 4-6 years of a run, as Gambit and The Joker's Wild which also debuted on September 4, 1972 lasted until 1976.  The first sign that TPIR wasn't like the others was when it was expanded to its fabulous 60 minute length in the autumn of 1975.  By 1977 or so, the show had really hit its stride and has been among the most popular series since that time. 

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 11:00:15 PM »
I remember seeing CBS promos the month prior that heralded the premiere of the show, which prompted me to watch the first episode on 9-04-72. I watched The Price Is Right fairly regularly until mid-2007.

The current iteration of the program looks and feels so different than the Barker/James original that I consider it a different show. I feel the same way about the 1994 syndicated version.

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 07:36:47 AM »
The current iteration of the program looks and feels so different than the Barker/James original that I consider it a different show. I feel the same way about the 1994 syndicated version.

I second that thought.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »
The current [version] of the program looks and feels so different than the Barker/James original that I consider it a different show. I feel the same way about the 1994 syndicated version.

The 1994 syndicated version was different by design. What is really different about the network version? The set? Not really. Doors, turntable, one-bids are all in the same places. The host? Drew is not Bob and will never be. The core show is still there.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 05:11:28 PM »
The 1994 syndicated version was different by design. What is really different about the network version? The set? Not really. Doors, turntable, one-bids are all in the same places. The host? Drew is not Bob and will never be. The core show is still there.
I suspect that TVC is referring more to the "attitude" the show has taken on over the past decade. The editing has most certainly taken a turn for the worse.

Also, and I know that I have said this many times, but a solid format can very easily be brought down by execution.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 05:48:46 PM »
As a tribute this morning I watched the very first Joker's Wild at 10am, then The "New" Price is Right first episode at 10:30am.

I watched a Gambit episode at 11am.  Unfortunately the first one from 9/4/72 doesn't seem to be available online.

I doubt that it exists.  The first episode - in fact, the first two years - of TJW were thought to be erased as well, until somebody discovered them, along with the complete run (60 episodes?) of Spin-Off, somewhere in the depths of WCBS.  If I heard right, GSN paid to have the early TJWs converted from whatever tape system was used back then, but when it aired the episodes, the ratings weren't high enough to justify the cost of doing the rest of the tapes, which is also why they never bothered with Spin-Off.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »
I suspect that TVC is referring more to the "attitude" the show has taken on over the past decade. The editing has most certainly taken a turn for the worse.

Also, and I know that I have said this many times, but a solid format can very easily be brought down by execution.

Anymore, the editing is absolutely necessary. Not just because of the overwhelming number of commercials that are crammed into the timeslot of every show, but also, Bob's not the host anymore. He was brought up in the industry during an era when most everything was done live, so he had a good feel for doing things that way, and for doing TPIR live-to-tape. Good luck finding someone who could do that just as good.

Not to mention, most every show you see anymore is heavily produced. With the sheer variety of content available out there, TPIR needs to make sure it fits in well with today's TV environment and not stick out like a sore thumb. It's just the nature of the beast.

You also have to realize--TPIR was going to change eventually. Bob's and Roger's attitude towards keeping the show "the same" for so many years is a bit of a Catch-22. It made things more inviting for the more dedicated viewers, but it also served to make it more jarring for those same people when it came time for things to change.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:58:00 PM by RedWing512 »