Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/18/2017 (TPiR Season 46 Premiere)  (Read 17971 times)

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/18/2017 (TPiR Season 46 Premiere)
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2017, 08:56:14 AM »
I don't know if anyone picked this up off he top of the show....when a constant spun the wheel....they would win $ 10,000 on the wheel....extra or was that a hold over from season 45 ???

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2017, 09:09:10 AM »
Kudos to Bob Barker for acknowledging the anniversary.

My 2 cents on Gridlock!!
Game seems like it can be a quicky

I thought the display on the cars was Awkward.   By that I mean this.   When I think of the price of the car, I think 27,xxx 28,xxx 29,xxx.
I don't think of it like 2  71xx     2 84xx   or  2 95xx.     I just thought that looked awkward on the cars.   

The price scoreboard part of it was fine.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »
I don't know if anyone picked this up off he top of the show....when a constant spun the wheel....they would win $ 10,000 on the wheel....extra or was that a hold over from season 45 ???

And I could have missed it, but what about the green sections in a bonus spin?  Normally it's $10,000. But you already get $10,000 for simply spinning $1.00 in your first spin (or combo of your first two spins).   And then you get $100,000 for spinning $1.00 in a bonus spin.  What does a green section get you this week in a bonus spin?  Drew did not mention did he?

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2017, 01:27:34 PM »
During Gridlock, why was Manuela standing there? Do the cars not always move on their own?
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2017, 01:51:13 PM »
During Gridlock, why was Manuela standing there? Do the cars not always move on their own?

That's a question a lot of us have. Probably only one who can answer that is Mike.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2017, 10:45:42 PM »

I was curious about the mechanics.  The cars appear to move without direct intervention, but they also don't have the kind of clunky on/off movement you associate with lightweight items on a motorized track.  (Compare the way the mountain climber moves to the way the cars move.)

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2017, 11:05:45 PM »
I have a feeling there's a guy like Big Dave moving things underneath.  It sure looks like there are (opposing polarity) magnets attached to the front of the cars.  They can likely lock the lead car and those help keep things aligned for when they need to push the car back up after an incorrect guess.  I like the game.  The Penny Ante/Hurdles-style mechanical (not just giant videoscreen) prop is a nice throwback to the old days.

And who the heck in LA actually SIGNALS a merge?
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2017, 01:16:07 AM »

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly why she stood there since she didn't model anything else during the segment.

My thoughts on Gridlock! are that it's a pretty decent game. Its set is pretty cool and I like the unique mechanics of the cars, which are akin to other games like Hurdles and Rat Race. Speaking of the latter, this appears to be the first new pricing game explicitly played for cars since Rat Race in 2010, and that's pretty neat. It should help balance out the abundant number of playings that Lucky $even, That's Too Much! and (obviously) Money Game have been receiving in recent years.

One little thing I think could be improved with the prop is what the monitor does for a right/wrong answer. The animation's okay, but to me it would look better if the border and background behind the numbers lit up either red or bright green to denote right/wrong. Others have said how the overall presentation could be better, and I kind of echo that.

Interested to see more playings of the game soon and if any improvements will happen. Hopefully we'll know for sure how many mistakes players get by the next game.
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2017, 05:21:37 AM »
So.. Can we be so sure that Gridlock! will be played exclusively for cars?

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2017, 06:49:44 AM »

Given that grandfather clocks don't often clog the Santa Monica freeway, I'd say this is a safe assumption.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2017, 11:23:54 AM »
Meh -- I like Gridlock! ... now if they just clarify the rule on-screen, that'd be awesome.

My guess is that it's one wrong pick period ... otherwise the first half of the game (i.e., picking the two numbers that make up the thousands and hundreds digits in the price) would be rather pointless.

Brian

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2017, 01:09:21 PM »
I have a feeling there's a guy like Big Dave moving things underneath.

The game is open underneath (you can see through the pillars holding up the road), so it definitely uses some kind of computer-controlled mechanics. I do like the idea of opposing-polarity magnets, though ('cause I can't figure out what those protrusions are). Maybe Manuela was there to align the incorrect car with its perpendicular slot so it could get back into the lineup?

And who the heck in LA actually SIGNALS a merge?

I kept waiting for a miniature police cruiser to show up since all of the cars' front turn signals don't work.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2017, 10:42:13 PM »
Given the road/traffic motif and the cars, I would pretty safely say yes.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 07:42:06 AM »
Thanks for bringing back the colorful graphics in the recaps!  Yes Gridlock was underwhelming - I am sure they will work out the kinks like putting price on screen without knowing it is correct.  I think that is the problem with high tech video screens vs. the old school props.  They shouldn't put the # on the screen unless it's correct.  They should do a split screen with the green screen on top and the cars on the bottom to verify if a guess is right or wrong.  Hopefully they will work out the kinks, but let's face it - this is Money Game 2.0

JT

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2017, 11:45:27 AM »

Based on the Size of the Monitor used to show the Price of the Car, I wonder if it can show a 6 Digit Price.

Considering it's an actual screen (with numbers that can presumably be made narrower to accommodate more digits, like what the contestants' row screens have done before) vs an eggcrate display (which always has numbers of fixed width and you can't fit more than however many digits), I wouldn't be surprised if it were to successfully show the entire price of a 6-digit car should such a car actually be played in Gridlock (most likely during Dream Car Week)