Author Topic: Bob Barker mentioned in a troubling Radar Online report  (Read 5835 times)

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Bob Barker mentioned in a troubling Radar Online report
« on: September 19, 2017, 10:37:03 PM »
If this was already mentioned before and/or if this belongs in another part of the forum, please lock/move this thread, but I just discovered an article from Radar Online that troubles me...

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/bob-barker-collapses-wife-grave/

According to this post, our beloved Bob Barker was claimed to have "lost the will to live" following a tearful visit to Dorothy Jo's (his deceased wife) gravesite, and that he is "ready to die." For any TPIR fan who grew up with Bob's run, this disturbs me.

What are your thoughts?
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Bob Barker mentioned in a troubling Radar Online report
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:46:33 PM »
Is that site a legit site, or one of those that just makes up stuff to start trouble?

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 10:50:22 PM »
Is that site a legit site, or one of those that just makes up stuff to start trouble?

It definitely looks too real to be fake. As some maybe aware, Bob had another fall in his house last June, leaving others worried about his demise.

The same site also mentioned the same thing shortly after his recent fall:
http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/bob-barker-health-issues/

However, other websites started spewing those "RIP Bob Barker" jokes after his fall. Those are the ones that will stir up trouble. I haven't seen anything of that matter there...
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 11:04:57 PM »
Radar Online is a satirical site and similar to The Onion. I highly doubt this is real.

Next....
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 11:07:11 PM »
Radar Online is a satirical site and similar to The Onion. I highly doubt this is real.

Next....

Alas, thanks for the clarification.
Mistakes were made, but I appreciate you bringing that to my attention.

...Stupid tabloids, trying to misinform everyone with nonsense.  :headbang:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:10:24 PM by whowouldeverhurtawhammy »

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 11:09:37 PM »

Next....

Got a source on that? Google didn't turn up anything immediately relevant.

I'm not saying it's trustworthy or that the report is accurate, but I don't see anything indicating that it's a parody site, either.

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 12:33:55 AM »
I'm not saying it's trustworthy or that the report is accurate, but I don't see anything indicating that it's a parody site, either.

My thoughts, exactly. Though, I hope that I am wrong about this...

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 01:25:33 AM »
I don't want to believe this is true. He doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would say that.
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 06:15:09 AM »
Radar Online is an entertainment site. It is not a news site. Any "news" you may find on there is about as real as my trillion-dollar inheritance. All you have to do is go to their home page and see just how nonsensical some of the other "headlines" are.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet, folks.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 07:09:57 AM »
I'm sure if this were true, it would be all over the news right now.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 08:15:59 AM »
I don't put any stock in the celebrity train wreck sites.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 09:00:05 AM »
Radar Online is an entertainment site. It is not a news site. Any "news" you may find on there is about as real as my trillion-dollar inheritance. All you have to do is go to their home page and see just how nonsensical some of the other "headlines" are.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet, folks.

And also don't believe anything you read in the gutter press, such as the National Enquirer.

I can't recall, but I thought I had seen one of those supermarket tabloids that had a (grainy) photo of a sad-looking Bob Barker with a giant headline similar to that of the Radar Online site.

All, naturally, to gain your attention.

Not that Bob is necessarily a front-and-center celebrity to most of the rest of the world (i.e., non-game show/non-TPiR fans), but enough know of him/remember him that any headline -- and this certainly isn't the first one, nor will it be the last -- that trumpets out that he is either terminally ill, had a fall in his home or some public place, made a comment that he wants to die, etc., or has something to do with his past legal issues, association with animal rights groups (pro or con) or time with TPiR (there have been a few of those, too) ... is bound to get your attention. This latest headline -- the one claiming that Barker make some remark about wanting to die after an emotional cemetery visit to Dorothy Jo's gravesite -- certainly did. And they will continue to do so as long as people continue to go to these websites and read these articles/magazines, etc., and believe they are undeniably true.

I get that sometimes, when people grow old and have outlived their spouse, sometimes for many years (as in Barker's case, as Dorothy Jo died in 1981, some 36 years ago as this thread is active), they get depressed and sometimes to the point where they want to die, and even say as much. I had a beloved neighbor who repeatedly made similar remarks to what Bob supposedly said after her husband passed (and sadly, she died, just 11 months after the husband passed). And I think we can all agree that Bob misses his beloved wife, Dorothy Jo.

At best, though, this was a comment that was taken out of context. But more likely this was completely exaggerated, false and blown out of proportion.

I'd suggest ignoring the Radar Online story as BS.

Brian
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:10:24 AM by Briguy »

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 09:16:24 AM »
I'm sure if this were true, it would be all over the news right now.

I may be reading this wrong and if so I apologize, but I disagree ... even if it were true, I think that it would amount to little more than speculation.

I mean, every time an elderly celebrity makes a comment about wanting to die so they can be with a beloved spouse or family member ... or (figuratively) leaves a fart, it'd be in the news?

And yes, I realize you might be facetious, but c'mon ... I think the press has a lot more to report on than a legendary game show host making some comment that is likely very commonly made by many very elderly people who are widowed/widowers, have most or all siblings who have passed, etc. ... especially when they have outlived some of them (especially particularly beloved ones) for many years.

Got a source on that? Google didn't turn up anything immediately relevant.

This is a website similar to the National Examiner, Star, etc. ... supermarket tabloids that carry a high amount of celebrity news (some of it not necessarily true) and rumors.

Brian
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:24:01 AM by Briguy »

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 10:02:46 AM »
These tabloids indeed pushed a false claim Bob actually had died a few months ago; I didn't buy it, as they gave his age as 94, which he of course will not be for another few months.  A quick check here to find no similar announcements confirmed it was a hoax for me. 

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 11:11:15 AM »
These tabloids indeed pushed a false claim Bob actually had died a few months ago; I didn't buy it, as they gave his age as 94, which he of course will not be for another few months.  A quick check here to find no similar announcements confirmed it was a hoax for me.

Are you sure that was a print tabloid or one of those hoax websites that regularly claims that various celebrities have died? (I think there's even one that allows you to type in a name and state a cause of death, if I'm not mistaken.)

I've seen those before, many times. Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift, both country and pop superstars, have been by far the most common celebrities who have been said to have "died," from what I've seen. Probably because they're both young and very physically attractive ... so naturally they'll be far more common than older or aged celebrities than, in this instance, Bob Barker.

But getting back to the subject at hand, yes, I agree ... wherever you read this it is a hoax. And if this was print and a deliberate misrepresentation (i.e., not clearly labeled as being about a mistaken report) to sell tabloids, he could sue.

Brian